Oddly enough, I can't seem to get worked up about this...

Zathras

Oddly enough, I'm not feeling numb, I'm not feeling angry, barely even sad (although I'm sure that will come later, I'm sure.) I think I just sort of resigned myself to the fact that relegation was a certainty, and although I secretly held out hope (especially after the Middlesboro game) I think the expectation might have softened the blow. Fact is we got precisely what our performances deserved. From the owner playing games and not investing, being stubborn by not admitting his error(s), through the managers (4! FFS!) and the players who clearly couldn't give a flying fuck most of the time to the fans who believed that they had the power to do diddly-shit about the owner, staging protests that were utterly pointless and did nothing but sap an already low morale around the club of anything positive in (an understandable but) utterly pointless act of venting. (I was guilty of this as much as most, I'm sure, (to the extent that I was able over here...))

No, I'm not sure if it will hit me more later or what, but I frankly feel that the way we played, where one single solitary fucking own goal off the keepers ass that barely crossed the line in either of our last two games would have kept us up, we simply don't deserve to have been saved at the last moment.

I'm not happy we're being relegated, I won't be able to get news about the club for the next year at least, won't be able to watch a single match until (if?) we win promotion back, and I'll have to put up with the ridiculous superiority of the fans of Man U and Chelsea around here, (luckily I don't know a single Sunderland supporter in the area anymore--last one was clearly a mackem, missing three front teeth and an accent so thick I'm shocked anyone around here could understand him, but he fucked off to warmer climes a couple of years ago).

But I'm not going to be going anywhere, and I doubt anyone else on this board will be doing so. I'll do what I have to do to keep up on the club (I shan't call it a team as it's not been since ages ago) through the championship, relying sadly much more on this board for news than is likely healthy :lol: but I will still wear my stripes proudly and when the several people who will ask me what "EPL" team I'll follow now I will be telling them that I couldn't care who does what in the premier league until Newcastle are promoted again.

Bah; I think I've managed to work myself into realization now and I'm gonna go get a couple (dozen) beers in me -- at 4:15.

I felt kinda blank for a bit, but then Mrs P said, "Why don't you change clubs!? Suddenly an anger rose up and overwherwhelmed and I had to go out and swaft 3 pints of guiness.

I had accepted our fate weeks ago, the writing has been on the wall that long, I guess that has taken much of the sting out of it, but what has hit me is the anger towards the players following todays total non-effort, they hardly seemed to give a fuck at all which hurts the most for me.

If they can't be arsed to play why should I be arsed to get angry? Like Jimbo, I'd already accepted it but it was still a disappointing way to finish. If you are bottom three after 38 games you are one of the worse sides and you do deserve to go down.

I've had a sleep since I got in and am approaching things with a clearer head. I still think it's a disaster for the club in more ways than it's a blessing but this should be a situation that forces restructuring that needed to be in place a long time ago. A period of stability, an attempt to clear out the deadwood and bring in some young, hungry players and a rogering charge back into the Premier League. If we go back up with the gravy train mentality and the frankly embarassing leadership, we'll be in the same position 3 seasons from now. Funnily enough, it might take us slipping down the Football League to become a bit more professional.

It is a dark day for me. Ive been quite flippant about it the last few weeks and although I did predict that all 4 sides would be beaten, I never thought about the prospect of relegation as a reality, and now that its been confirmed, Ive felt numb, angry, total disappointment, disillusion and disbelief. This club has danced with the greats in the last few years and now needs to turn up at the likes of Scunthorpe, Bristol City, Plymouth, Peterborough to name a few. The general standard of the Championship isnt that high, although at the top it is pretty tough to climb out of it. We need to restructure, galvanise and regroup for next season in the hope that we can spring back up. A club the size of Newcastle (similarly Leeds) should not be in the second tier of football and we need the players who can back that up. Its going to be a long season next year, but I hope that we can kick start early and carry the momentum as the season progresses.

I'm not really sure, its wierd as I said earlier because no one responsible can actually be punished, it wasn't an illegal thing and its not like any of us can just pop round and beat the living daylights out of them either

its a directionless fury that it stagnating into despair because I genuinely feel helpless and that, frankly, is fucking horrible

This club has danced with the greats in the last few years and now needs to turn up at the likes of Scunthorpe, Bristol City, Plymouth, Peterborough to name a few.

Bristol City is a great away trip, as Peterborough is meant to be when their police don't act up (wouldn't know myself, couldn't get tickets)

The key thing is to not Leeds it, and expect to get by on reputation alone.