Shearer should step down as Newcastle manager

Jimbo

I was at Villa Park to witness Newcastle's first relegation in 20 years courtesy of a limp display in the Midlands.

And I certainly do not think Alan Shearer should stay on as boss of Newcastle judging by what I saw yesterday.

Toon's toothless display means they have won just once in eight games under Shearer. That's just once in eight games when the players should have been fighting for their lives.

Yesterday we saw from Newcastle exactly what we have seen from them all season - a willingness to try but a painful lack of quality.

There was no supply line from Nicky Butt, Danny Guthrie or Kevin Nolan in the Newcastle midfield. No spark of life from the front men.

Even the introduction of Michael Owen in the second half failed to breathe fire into Toon bellies.

Owen was desperately disappointing, and I now believe that the former England striker should think long and hard about whether he wants to continue his professional career now he is a free agent.

Newcastle were just not good enough - not by a long chalk.

Geordies still consider themselves one of the biggest clubs in the country, yet where is the evidence? Their last trophy was the Fairs Cup 40 years ago.

Much-maligned owner Mike Ashley was in the stands to witness the latest debacle. Now it will be interesting to see whether he stays and injects more money into the club or looks for a sale.

Either way, Toon fans deserve better.

They left Villa Park knowing that a victory, even a draw, would have kept them up. One point short of safety - that's all they were. But it might as well have been 21 points.

Manchester United's win at Hull showed the Premier League has integrity.

Lots of people were pointing the finger at Alex Ferguson for fielding a shadow side but they went out and beat a side fighting for their lives when human nature suggested they'd take their foot off the gas.

Those who doubted United and Fergie should now apologise.

I don't blame Shearer for yesterday

But I don't think he should be manager next season - maybe one day - but not now

We have been arrogant too long, thinking people like Al will save us.

The truth is, the only person to get us back to the prem is someone who has done it before.

If he wants to manage, let Shearer get his badges and start at some little team before coming home.

We need to get a manager who has won the championship before!

Guest alex

I thought the subsitutions were poor like. That said, I'd want him to stay on as manager. Terrible article btw.

Edited by alex

who do you think would take the hot seat if he decides to cut it short? I wouldn't be suprised if Dowie took control, and i think he could do an alright job in the championship, my only worry is that it woud just be an 'alright' job and mabye get us t=in the 3-6 spots

We've known for a couple of seasons now our squad wasn't good enough. Shearer could only use what he had available, it's madness to portion any blame in his direction.

Its the kind of reactionary bullshit journalism that thankfully we won't have to endure much longer now we have ceased to exist in the eyes of the premier league luvvies - what qualifications does that fuckwit have to cast judge and jury over shearer who will always be ten times the man that collymore will ever be -he should stick to sexual deviance and punching women

I was at Villa Park to witness Newcastle's first relegation in 20 years courtesy of a limp display in the Midlands.

And I certainly do not think Alan Shearer should stay on as boss of Newcastle judging by what I saw yesterday.

Toon's toothless display means they have won just once in eight games under Shearer. That's just once in eight games when the players should have been fighting for their lives.

Yesterday we saw from Newcastle exactly what we have seen from them all season - a willingness to try but a painful lack of quality.

There was no supply line from Nicky Butt, Danny Guthrie or Kevin Nolan in the Newcastle midfield. No spark of life from the front men.

Even the introduction of Michael Owen in the second half failed to breathe fire into Toon bellies.

Owen was desperately disappointing, and I now believe that the former England striker should think long and hard about whether he wants to continue his professional career now he is a free agent.

Newcastle were just not good enough - not by a long chalk.

Geordies still consider themselves one of the biggest clubs in the country, yet where is the evidence? Their last trophy was the Fairs Cup 40 years ago.

Much-maligned owner Mike Ashley was in the stands to witness the latest debacle. Now it will be interesting to see whether he stays and injects more money into the club or looks for a sale.

Either way, Toon fans deserve better.

They left Villa Park knowing that a victory, even a draw, would have kept them up. One point short of safety - that's all they were. But it might as well have been 21 points.

Manchester United's win at Hull showed the Premier League has integrity.

Lots of people were pointing the finger at Alex Ferguson for fielding a shadow side but they went out and beat a side fighting for their lives when human nature suggested they'd take their foot off the gas.

Those who doubted United and Fergie should now apologise.

How much more utter bollocks and repeated drivel (so it must be true) can possibly be stuffed into one column? :lol:

Hes a clown Collymore like. Not sure how hes qualified to comment on a man like Shearer, Osasuna anyone?

On that basis none of us on here should be allowed to comment on any footballer at all.

Hes a clown Collymore like. Not sure how hes qualified to comment on a man like Shearer, Osasuna anyone?

On that basis none of us on here should be allowed to comment on any footballer at all.

In this instance no ones commenting on his footballing skills, more his worth as a human being.