Keane Blasts Flops

Hatful Of Hollow

Source

MANCHESTER United were last night forced to pull the plug on an explosive interview in which Roy Keane identified the culprits for the club’s malaise. Keane’s frank assessments of the team are nothing new, but this time, pointing the finger at underachieving team-mates, he was so outspoken that the club’s in-house television station was forced into a desperate cover-up.

It had seemed a recipe for disaster when MUTV announced that Keane had been nominated for its Play the Pundit feature to analyse the catastrophic 4-1 defeat by Middlesbrough on Saturday. The defence, in which Rio Ferdinand, John O’Shea and Kieran Richardson have been struggling for form, came in for severe criticism.

In the event, the interview was conducted by MUTV’s Steve Bower as planned, with the injured captain dissecting one of the team’s worst performances during Sir Alex Ferguson’s tenure, but the content was so shocking that the television station’s management deemed it “unbroadcastable”, a verdict with which David Gill, the chief executive, agreed.

Suspicions were raised when the programme, which was to be screened at 6.30pm, disappeared from the schedule list an hour beforehand, to be replaced by Gary Neville Plays the Pundit. In the end, Neville’s thoughts were not forthcoming either, with MUTV instead showing a half-hour feature on their youth academy. Peter Brookes, the station’s managing director, said last night that he was “not commenting ” on the matter, while a club spokesperson said there would be “no comment on it at all”.

The cover-up could be described as a public relations triumph in terms of damage limation — the only two copies of the programme are said to be under lock and key at MUTV’s headquarters — but the vague details that have emerged about Keane’s comments hardly paint the picture of a club united in anything but name. Keane is said to have “named names”, accusing several players of lacking the necessary attitude to play for United.

Ferdinand, the club’s £30 million record signing, was so abject on Saturday that he was substituted so that team-mates “did not have to cover his position”, according to Carlos Queiroz, the assistant manager.

Ferdinand was said to be seething at his substitution, which, with his team 4-0 down with three minutes left, seemed to be about making a point. But he is the foremost of several United players who will fly to Paris this morning for tomorrow’s crucial Champions League match against Lille, having been told by an angry Ferguson that Saturday’s performance was unacceptable.

Ferguson’s choice of captain will be interesting. With Keane, Ryan Giggs and Neville injured and Paul Scholes suspended, Ferdinand would be the obvious choice, but he has not worn the armband since his contract dispute with the club last spring and it would not be a surprise if Edwin van der Sar or Ruud van Nistelrooy is given the honour.

A lack of options in defence means that Ferdinand should keep his place, but while he claims to have “responded in a positive manner” to being dropped by Sven-Göran Eriksson for England’s World Cup qualifier against Austria last month, he will have plenty to prove in the Stade de France. Gordon McQueen, the former United defender, said: “I know he’s a laid-back character, but he will be hurting inside.”

That, though, is the type of truism that Keane is believed to have challenged when approached by MUTV. No one at Old Trafford would question his desire to win, which is one reason why Ferguson — who was said to be furious at the outburst — is so eager to persuade the 34-year-old not to carry out his threat to leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.

In his absence, Ferdinand and others have been left in no doubt that standards must improve.

Apparently this is going to be broadcast tonight after they pulled it last night. He names 5 players, among them John O'Shea and Kieran Richardson and a few of the other younger lads and goes through everything he thinks is wrong with them.

Surely this sort of thing is best done behind closed doors. Strikes me that this is a bit of a "I know we're not doing very well, but it's not my fault, it's theirs" message to the fans.

Apparently this is going to be broadcast tonight after they pulled it last night.  He names 5 players, among them John O'Shea and Kieran Richardson and a few of the other younger lads and goes through everything he thinks is wrong with them.

Surely this sort of thing is best done behind closed doors.  Strikes me that this is a bit of a "I know we're not doing very well, but it's not my fault, it's theirs" message to the fans.

51735[/snapback]

PR disaster of Newcastle United proportions of they broadcast it. Even more so if they took the wise precaution of pulling it initially.

They reckon he'll be out the door in January!

51744[/snapback]

Saw that on the Beeb Gossip Column. Fergie would be a hypocrite if he didn't pedal him really.

Was talking to a Manc on holiday and he reckons that Kieron Richardson is the biggest pric you'll ever meet, even bigger than his namesake who constantly camps out on the physio table up her.

Keanes comments don't suprise me, nice to see them in the papers instead of us.

Theres only one United

Well, I think this might not be as dumb as it looks. ManUre have lost loads of ground in recent years. Most of their signings in fact didn't have an impact that warrants their huge transfer sums. And after '99 ManUre have achieved absolutely nothing in Europe. People on here were saying Newcastle were going backwards since the end of the season 02-03. Looking at the squad and the financial possibilities at ManUre they are on the decline for some years now.

Keane has to lose nothing (except his current and future job at ManUre). Even if the interview isn't broadcasted, he got his message across. The man might be a tosser of the highest order (and I have a friend from Cork who just loathes him), but you can't say that Keane was a spoilt prat. He worked hard during his career to achieve success. If he now sees loads of talented youngsters being wasters then he has got a point.

But it is nice to see turmoil at ManUre.

always blames someone else. never his fault if they lose or a goal is given away, even when it is. this is a bit rich coming from a man who ended a mans career on purpose and got away with it. imagine if you did that off the football pitch, youd be locked up for 10 years.

always blames someone else. never his fault if they lose or a goal is given away, even when it is. this is a bit rich coming from a man who ended a mans career on purpose and got away with it. imagine if you did that off the football pitch, youd be locked up for 10 years.

51777[/snapback]

You really reckon you'd get locked up for ten years for stamping on someone? I think you're a tad out of touch with the Criminal Justice system in this country. Also, when Haarland tried to take legal action against Roy Keane after he'd admitted to 'doing him' in his book the case fell apart because the injury that finished Haarland's career was on the leg that Keane didn't stamp on iirc.

51777[/snapback]

You really reckon you'd get locked up for ten years for stamping on someone? I think you're a tad out of touch with the Criminal Justice system in this country. Also, when Haarland tried to take legal action against Roy Keane after he'd admitted to 'doing him' in his book the case fell apart because the injury that finished Haarland's career was on the leg that Keane didn't stamp on iirc.

51780[/snapback]

Aye you're right, it was the other leg he knacked.

he deliberately went out to end his livlihood by injuring his leg. no different to the bloke that broke the ice skaters legs with a bat. different methods, same results. no need to be pedantic, the gist of the message was that hes a hypocrite for criticisng other players when hes been on the wrong end of a red card a few times in his career. it wasnt intended to be an in depth look at the british criminal justice system.

Apparently this is going to be broadcast tonight after they pulled it last night.  He names 5 players, among them John O'Shea and Kieran Richardson and a few of the other younger lads and goes through everything he thinks is wrong with them.

Surely this sort of thing is best done behind closed doors.  Strikes me that this is a bit of a "I know we're not doing very well, but it's not my fault, it's theirs" message to the fans.

51735[/snapback]

PR disaster of Newcastle United proportions of they broadcast it. Even more so if they took the wise precaution of pulling it initially.

51741[/snapback]

Do you think Alex Ferguson will take leaf out of Graeme Souness' book of management techniques and kick him out .......

51735[/snapback]

51741[/snapback]

Do you think Alex Ferguson will take leaf out of Graeme Souness' book of management techniques and kick him out .......

51914[/snapback]

if i say yes,keane will be gone by the summer,you'll say it's down to his age.

51735[/snapback]

51741[/snapback]

51914[/snapback]

if i say yes,keane will be gone by the summer,you'll say it's down to his age.

51915[/snapback]

which would be correct

I personally feel that Keane has done plenty in his career to justify his comments. He's worked hard to get where he has, and regardless of whether people think he's a thug or not, he's achieved a hell of a lot more than someone like Richardson or O'Shea ever will, unless they start puttung work in.

He definetly has a point.

Fletcher is average, O'Shea isn't half the player they thought he'd be, Smith is never a midfielder, Scholes is past his best, Ferdinand is all hype etc etc.

Man Utd's first choice midfield is almost the same as the one that won the CL in 1999, hardly progress is it?

he deliberately went out to end his livlihood by injuring his leg. no different to the bloke that broke the ice skaters legs with a bat. different methods, same results. no need to be pedantic, the gist of the message was that hes a hypocrite for criticisng other players when hes been on the wrong end of a red card a few times in his career. it wasnt intended to be an in depth look at the british criminal justice system.

51912[/snapback]

I was only pointing out your suggestion that he would get 10 years for doing what he did in the street was a mile of the mark. He 'done him' in much the same way players do players in matches all over the country every week. I don't see how you can categorically say he went out to end his livelihood, I think he just saw his chance and stamped on his leg. A split-second decision is hardly the same as a pre-planned assault with a baseball bat is it? Also it seems to me Keane is criticising players for not giving their all, something you couldn't say about him, so I'm not sure how that makes him a hypocrite.

51735[/snapback]

51741[/snapback]

51914[/snapback]

Like Jaap Stam?

I personally feel that Keane has done plenty in his career to justify his comments. He's worked hard to get where he has, and regardless of whether people think he's a thug or not, he's achieved a hell of a lot more than someone like Richardson or O'Shea ever will, unless they start puttung work in.

51948[/snapback]

Agreed.

He can be a thug at times but he's always gives 110% on the pitch and I can understand why he's annoyed at his team mates for not having the right attitude.

THERE IS TALK ABOUT PUTTING THIS RIGHT IN JANUARY AND BRINGING NEW PLAYERS IN.. WE SHOULD DO THE OPPOSITE AND GET RID OF THEM IN JANUARY

EXCLUSIVE THE KEANEGATE TAPES

Neil Mcleman

ROY KEANE has been sitting on the sidelines for six weeks watching Manchester United slip behind Wigan, Bolton and Charlton in the title race. And he has had enough.

We can reveal in the 'Plays the Pundit' slot on MUTV that has erupted in controversy, Keane not only laid into defender Rio Ferdinand's approach, but harshly criticised senior players and attacked the younger members of United's faltering team.

They trail Premiership leaders Chelsea by 13 points and are far from certain of progressing in the Champions League and Keane said: "There is talk about putting this right in January and bringing players in. We should be doing the opposite - we should be getting rid of people in January."

Keane has often acted as Sir Alex Ferguson's public mouthpiece, but it was the manager who made the decision not to broadcast the interview after he was alerted to its contents.

The player is understood to be standing by his criticisms which included harsh words for the multi-millionaire senior players who he believes are responsible for the general malaise at the two-time European champions.

He named keeper Edwin Van der Sar, Paul Scholes and Ruud van Nistelrooy, but reserved his most pointed attack for Ferdinand, who delayed signing a new deal in the summer until he had secured club record wages of £6.24 million a year.

"Just because you are paid £120,000-a-week and play well for 20 minutes against Tottenham, you think you are a superstar.

"The younger players have been let down by some of the more experienced ones - they are not leading. There is a shortage of characters.

"It seems to be in this club you have to play badly to be rewarded. Maybe that is what I should do when I come back - play badly."

In his analysis of Saturday's humiliating 4-1 defeat by Middlesbrough Keane admitted: "I wasn't surprised by the result I had been expecting one like this.

"The players have been asked questions and they are just not coming up with the answers.

"I am sick of having to say it and they are sick of listening to me.

"They have let down the club, the manager, and the fans.

"When they sign the contracts, they think they have made it. They owe it to the manager, the staff and the fans."

Keane also slammed the young generation of players he says have failed to win the trophies to justify their inflated wages. "These guys thought getting new contracts was the best day of their careers," he said.

"They think they have made it. They haven't."

And the United captain insisted a long injury list also including Gary Neville, Gabriel Heinze and Ryan Giggs could not be used as an excuse for a lack of effort on the pitch.

"The fact they are out should be enough incentive for those coming in to play better and give more," he said. "It is not enough to play well for 20 minutes, it is a 90-minute game.

"You get well rewarded but you have to put the hard work to earn those rewards."

But last month the former Ireland midfielder shocked the Old Trafford hierarchy by using MUTV to announce he will quit the club at the end of the season after failing to be offered a new deal.

And this time the 34-year-old, out with a broken foot, has gone even further in a rant resembling his famous outburst against Ireland manager Mick McCarthy at the last World Cup.

Just a fortnight ago Sir Alex was still claiming Keane could be persuaded to sign a one-year contract extension and play a 14th season at Old Trafford.

And Keane did avoid directly criticising the United manager and said "he will put it right."

But doing so with a dressing room still including Keane appears impossible.

WHAT ROY SAID IN THAT INTERVIEW

KEANE ON: EDWIN VAN DER SAR

Analysing the first goal United condeded against Middlesbrough, when Edwin Van der Sar let slip a 30-yard shot... He should have saved that. That was saveable

KEANE ON: JOHN O'SHEA

He's just strolling around when he should have been busting a gut to get back

KEANE ON: RIO FERDINAND

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink robbed Ferdinand for the second goal... I have seen that happen to Rio before. It is poor defending

KEANE ON: DARREN FLETCHER

I can't understand why people in Scotland rave about Darren Fletcher

KEANE ON: KEIRAN RICHARDSON

On the penalty Richardson gave away.... He is a lazy defender who deserved to get punished.. he wasn't doing his job

KEANE ON: ALAN SMITH

What is he doing there? He is wandering around as if he is lost. He doesn't know what he is doing