Alan Shearer to discuss four-year deal at Newcastle

Scottish Mag

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not surpirsed by the time it's taking, in fact it could be a good sign.

Shearer wanted the job BUT he said himself there had to be major changes, I didn't get the impression he was in the fettle to negotiate very much, especially if it wasn't evident early on in the process that the will was there. I really can't see him being prepared to bargain for hours/days on end.

I reckon a deal was done early on early in the discussions, it'll now be with the lawyers (drafting contracts and reviewing etc etc - normal shite). It's not about him anymore I wouldn't be surprised if the ongoing discussions are around the squad and the mountain of work they've got to do to get ready for life in the championship, who's going, who he'd like to keep, who he'd like to get and in (players and coaches) and what order all that stuff has to happen.

Also Ego-wise, your not going to announce anything around the Champ League final, wouldn't make much of a news splash, but mebe's I'm a cynic

Circumstantially - Bassong's lass told a Skunker (who lives in the same building) that "Shearer had offered him a new contract"

Edited by Toonpack

Shearer will not sign a contract until his lawyers have pored over the nuances of every piece of small print and there is consequently nothing un­usual in his taking days rather than hours to reach agreement with Mike ­Ashley, Newcastle's owner.

Fucking too right, check for invisible ink as well

I'm really not surpirsed by the time it's taking, in fact it could be a good sign.

Shearer wanted the job BUT he said himself there had to be major changes, I didn't get the impression he was in the fettle to negotiate very much, especially if it wasn't evident early on in the process that the will was there. I really can't see him being prepared to bargain for hours/days on end.

I reckon a deal was done early on early in the discussions, it'll now be with the lawyers (drafting contracts and reviewing etc etc - normal shite). It's not about him anymore I wouldn't be surprised if the ongoing discussions are around the squad and the mountain of work they've got to do to get ready for life in the championship, who's going, who he'd like to keep, who he'd like to get and in (players and coaches) and what order all that stuff has to happen.

Also Ego-wise, your not going to announce anything around the Champ League final, wouldn't make much of a news splash, but mebe's I'm a cynic

Circumstantially - Bassong's lass told a Skunker (who lives in the same building) that "Shearer had offered him a new contract"

He needs to get the key assurances. The less time we spend in the lower tier the better. Fingers crossed.

It's patently obvious Shearer wants the job.

It wouldn't surprise me if they (all parties) are going through every player at the club and agreeing which will stay and which will go - and Shearer wants some sort of assurance (perhaps even in writing) that the ones agreed to be staying will be staying.

Then there's the budget for buying players etc etc.

All in all, the longer it takes, the more assurances Shearer will have. Given LardAsh's track record, surely that can't be a bad thing for Shearer to have.

Guest alex

Aye, the fact it's taking a while doesn't bother me too much. There's no guarantee it means he's staying or anything but it obviously means important issues are being thrashed out.

In his first press conference, Shearer kept pointing out he was here for 8 games and 8 games only and that as soon as the season was over, he'd be off so that Joe Kinnear could resume.

By the very fact that discussions are taking place, Shearer evidently wants the gig full time. It's just that matter of time IMO. I don't think Ashley, even Mike Ashley is stupid enough to let this slip through his fingers.

Wonder how they're going to balance Dowie and Carver, if reports are true.

I'd expect Dowie'll be off to manage someone else, but if he stays could it indicate, Shearer in a less hands on Role, Dowie and Carver managing the first team and coaching? Alan doing the overall club business? Kind of a DoF* role?

* :lol:

Guest alex
Wonder how they're going to balance Dowie and Carver, if reports are true.

I'd expect Dowie'll be off to manage someone else, but if he stays could it indicate, Shearer in a less hands on Role, Dowie and Carver managing the first team and coaching? Alan doing the overall club business? Kind of a DoF* role?

* :lol:

Manager role tbh. Same as nearly every other club. Do you think Ferguson takes training all the time like? Allardyce doesn't even do it (in fact, I know he can't even take a session, believe it or not).

It wouldn't surprise me if they (all parties) are going through every player at the club and agreeing which will stay and which will go - and Shearer wants some sort of assurance (perhaps even in writing) that the ones agreed to be staying will be staying.

All in all, the longer it takes, the more assurances Shearer will have. Given LardAsh's track record, surely that can't be a bad thing for Shearer to have.

Exfuckingzactly :lol:

Hope he's getting them written down. Can't help but feel Keegan was promised Heaven and got Stoke instead. :lol:

Christ almighty, its like waiting for the announcement of the new Pope.

Irony?

Aye, just been listening to Alanis Morrisette....

Should I have started that with "Mary, Mother of God "?

Or the more demands they will have ground him down on.

Irony?

Depends if you were being serious.

Irony?

Depends if you were being serious.

Of course not, I was considering a Islamic related exclamation but I didn't fancy starting a Jihad !