D-day arrives for Ashley over Shearer's rebuilding programme

Jimbo

Alan Shearer is expected to discover today if he is to become the permanent manager of Newcastle United.

Shearer spent several hours on Tuesday negotiating with Newcastle's owner, Mike Ashley, and it is understood Shearer and his assistants Iain Dowie and Paul Ferris presented Ashley with a convincing plan as to how they will cope with relegation from the Premier League and mount a promotion campaign. Ashley was not on Tyneside as talks continued on Wednesday and all parties were awaiting a response yesterday.

There is some optimism locally that Ashley will agree to Shearer's vision. Shearer has said that he wishes to place a £15m transfer fee on centre-half Sébastien Bassong in the hope it deters suitors, or funds a new defence.

Should Bassong stay then, with Steve Harper, Habib Beye and Steven Taylor pledging their commitment for next season, Shearer's Newcastle would have an experienced defensive base. Reports in Italy yesterday linked Obafemi Martins with a move to Fiorentina. A fee of £8m was mentioned.

That Shearer plan in full:

1. Sell current players.

2. Buy new players

3. Get promoted

Ashley: "I like points 1 and 3 Alan, but I have a big problem with 2".

The problem with the £15m fee on Bassong (or £8m on Martins) is IF he gets to spend it, or if it "disappears" like the Milner money.

Don't trust Ashley at all though, if there's a way to royally screw things up even further, he'll find it.

Edited by Fop

I reckon we'll get..

£8m>£6m Martins

£2m ish Nolan

£3m ish Guthrie

£1m > £500k Harper

£6m > £4m Colocinni

£5m >£4m Gutierrez

£1m > Ryan Taylor

£3m > £2m Xisco

£3m > £2m Ameobi

giving us between £32m and £24.5m from sales

I reckon we'll get..

£8m>£6m Martins

£2m ish Nolan

£3m ish Guthrie

£1m > £500k Harper

£6m > £4m Colocinni

£5m >£4m Gutierrez

£1m > Ryan Taylor

£3m > £2m Xisco

£3m > £2m Ameobi

giving Mike's champagne fund between £32m and £24.5m from sales

:wub:

I reckon we'll get..

£8m>£6m Martins

£2m ish Nolan

£1m ish Guthrie

£1m > £500k Harper

£6m > £4m Colocinni

£5m >£4m Gutierrez

£0.5m > Ryan Taylor

£2m > £1m Xisco

£1.5m > £0.5m Ameobi

giving us between £27m and £19.5m from sales

Doubt we'll sell either Harper or Guthrie. Can't go into the championship with two unproven youngsters to cover goalkeeping and we'd not get much for Harper, who's also just signed a new contract. Guthrie's young and showed some promise - he's a definite 'keep' for me. And as for Ameobi, we all know he's immovable.

Barton, Geremi, Martins, Smith, Coloccini, Gutierrez, Xisco, Ryan Taylor and possibly Duff will be the players we're most interested in shifting. Can't stand him but I think Nolan will stay. Geremi and Ryan Taylor won't be easy to move on - I'd say the same for Smith but there seem to be plenty of rumours of interest. I hope we keep Enrique but no idea how that one will go.

With Owen, Viduka, Cacapa, Lovenkrands and Edgar all out of contract as well and Bassong likely to seek a move it looks like a hectic summer. Could easily be ten+ players moved out. There'll be a few loans in both directions I'd imagine. As far as kids coming through to fill some of the gaps, I can only see Ranger, Kadar, Krul and maybe Lua Lua as realistic possibilities. Vukcic maybe an outside chance. It's a massive job for a manager who hasn't yet bought or sold a footballer (assuming Shearer takes it).

That Shearer plan in full:

1. Sell current players.

2. Buy new players

3. Get promoted

Ashley: "I like points 1 and 3 Alan, but I have a big problem with 2".

:wub:

For players who rely sloely on pace, once you start these groin operations it might be a signal to buyers to be wary. Take away the pace and Martins isn't that good so 8 mill might be a bit high. In fact, he isn't too good to play in the championship that's for sure.

For players who rely sloely on pace, once you start these groin operations it might be a signal to buyers to be wary. Take away the pace and Martins isn't that good so 8 mill might be a bit high. In fact, he isn't too good to play in the championship that's for sure.

His legs are too heavy.

His legs are too heavy.

He is 40 though...

Not one of the 4 managers rated Xisco at all. Even when we had barely any strikers.

That tells you something.

The fact he was hawked around for a million to the likes of Wolves 6 months before we bought him for £5.6m tells me more. I am all for taking a punt on the odd player but fucking hell...........

Edited by Delscottio

I reckon we'll get..

£8m>£6m Martins

£2m ish Nolan

£3m ish Guthrie

£1m > £500k Harper

£6m > £4m Colocinni

£5m >£4m Gutierrez

£1m > Ryan Taylor

£3m > £2m Xisco

£3m > £2m Ameobi

Guthrie is exacty the type of player we need in this league

I reckon we'll get..

£8m>£6m Martins

£2m ish Nolan

£3m ish Guthrie

£1m > £500k Harper

£6m > £4m Colocinni

£5m >£4m Gutierrez

£1m > Ryan Taylor

£3m > £2m Xisco

£3m > £2m Ameobi

Shit who can't last more than 50 minutes? I'm not sure how that will help us tbh.

I reckon we'll get..

£8m>£6m Martins

£2m ish Nolan

£3m ish Guthrie

£1m > £500k Harper

£6m > £4m Colocinni

£5m >£4m Gutierrez

£1m > Ryan Taylor

£3m > £2m Xisco

£3m > £2m Ameobi

Shit who can't last more than 50 minutes? I'm not sure how that will help us tbh.

Hes only played 20 games for us :wub: Maybe we should boot him out along with Shearer

The only problem is that we need to get rid £650k of the wagebill before we can start buying players according to Supermac on the legends.

Edited by 1892