Why do YOU support Newcastle United?

JonTheMag

We all have our reasons. Have you been a fan as long as youve lived? Only recently taken up the Toon?

Well in my case, I was born in Kent and moved to America when I was 4. My granddad is Geordie, and got me a Newcastle kit once, but I never really took interest in football, being a young American lad bred in baseball. But I visited England right after the World Cup, and became really interested in football, and began fully supporting Newcastle in that season (Roeder's last season). Unfortunately I haven't been able to witness Newcastle at its finest, but now I'm hoping for a blast out of the championship! Howay the toon!

Whats your story?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause me dad said he'd thrash me to within an inch of me life if i didn't. Let this be a lesson for all the Geordie fathers allowing their offspring to wander the metro centre wearing manc, chelsea, scouse, etc shirts.

Seriously though just happened naturally my dad took me to my first game in 76 and from there the pain began.

Dad/older brother - another choice never entered my head.

I know I'm a hypocrite for slagging off religion for being an accident of birth/geography when that "choice" has been such a big part of my life - but at least it's not irrational.... Oh shit.

My cousin from Scarborough supports Newcastle because when he was about 4 he just loved running around shouting "Toon toon toon army!"

I support Blackburn as I liked football but never had a team. I was at boarding school, and I used to go for weekends with my dads former boss and friend. Being from Clitheroe, he was a hardcore Rovers fan, so we'd go to matches. I was there during the 'VE Day' match in 1995 when we won 1-0 despite 98% of the match taking place in our penalty box.

My cousin from Scarborough supports Newcastle because when he was about 4 he just loved running around shouting "Toon toon toon army!"

:lol: He sounds like a good lad.

Officially the funniest teenager in New Zealand! He won a competition.

Never liked footy as a kid particularly but it didn't stop my parent's Geordie neighbour buying me excessive amounts of Newcastle United memorabilia every time she went back up to Newcastle to visit her relatives. Then when I had a brief spell in Scotland in my late teens everyone up there spoke about football and not much else so I kind of got in to it from there, the two got added together and here I am. There isn't a club I'd rather support or fans I'd rather be alongside, I might have come in to it a bit later than some but since that moment I've never looked back.

As a child of the 70's Keegan was a hero of mine, I was more into International football as there is no league football team in my town, I didn't support Norwich or Ipswich as both seemed as far away as the likes of Liverpool or Manchester United, although I live within 45miles of both clubs, as a child it might as well have been China, so I never identified with either.

My affection for Newcastle can be blamed on Jossy's Giants, I loved that show as a kid and it's links to Newcastle United stuck, but when Keegan took over at Newcastle it sent it into over drive, instead of being a "fan", I became a supporter, the infectious virus that is NUFC took over and that's how its been ever since.

:lol:

I grew up in a football loving family. Obviously we all support Torquay United (tho my brother married a Villa fan who I cant even talk to right now) Dad had a soft spot for Liverpool and Keegan and from there I fell in love with Newcastle. Finally persuaded a friend to travel up to SJP with me about 10 years ago and I've been several times since. I totally love the club and the place. I have no other Newcastle supporter friends down here really, hubby hates football so there's no way he'd go to a match with me! So there it is, I'm proud to support NUFC and because I am so far away I love this forum as you guys make me feel at home and bring my club a little closer :lol:

Family and area really. The whole of my Mams side of the family are Geordies and my Dads Mackems but they got divorced when I was too young to take an interest. When I finally did get old enough all my really close family were NUFC daft so I followed their lead. It goes without saying that growing up in the NE was a huge influence too.

My local team bought some bloke called Keegan who was supposed to be some sort of superstar, the nation's media didn't shut up about it and I guess I got obsessed about it.

27 years later I'm still obsessed and always will be. My Grandad supported Preston, my Dad Blackpool, my Mam Everton and my brother Leeds. Such was my obsession that, with the exception of my Grandad, I converted the lot of them.

As for my own kids, I was having a chat with my daughter the other day and they said they'd be talking about which teams they support at school. Down this way they're all supporting Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Reading, Spurs or Pompey. When I asked her what she'd said she replied "Newcastle United of course!"

That's my girl :lol: - although she's learning to take flak for it as well apparently :D

No choice really, parents aren't into football really, neither are my sisters. My Dad has an interest now as does my mam, but I think it's just so that they're taking an interest in something that's important to me. They check the scores read articles about the club, stay fairly informed about what's going on and are the first to let me know when something in the local press that's big news.

The school I went to as a kid was entirely Newcastle fan filled, I can remember one mackem...but seriously that was it. Secondary school had a few more fans of other clubs, but I could never understand why they didn't support their lercal clerb. Folks wouldn't buy me a season ticket yet, but I went as often as I could on other lads tickets or to the cup games.

The first day of my first season ticket holding season was unbelievable. The cup games were good fun, the games in other lads seats were great, but nothing compared to owning a seat, chatting to blokes around me who were much older and building a matchday friendship with them. It changed my support into an obsession. If I live in the area when I've got kids I will definitely be getting a ticket for me and the lad (if I have a girl I'm exchanging it) as soon as possible.

I didnt really have a choice as my father supported the club from a very early age and lived in the area and when i reached the age where i wanted a Brighton shirt (we moved to Brighton when I was young) and started playing down the park, he got me tickets to watch the toon and a shirt. I started following them about a year before Keegan arrived as a player and as he was a player I loved watching from his Liverpool and Hamburg days, I was hooked. Add in McDermot and then later on Gascoigne, Waddle, Beardsley and the original and first English Brazilian Mirandinha (1987 lads!!!) and then on to the time of Keegan as a manager I couldnt support anyone else.