Why do YOU support Newcastle United?

JonTheMag

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best mates dad took a car load from our village near Berwick in 1981 to see the cup game v Exeter........me and and his son were hooked, the others less so. We drew one each, but were beaten in the replay at the other SJP...we were in divi two then as well....not a lot fuckin changes does it? :lol: Me and my mate are now ST holders but he sadly lost his dad a couple of years back.

RIP Bob Pringle B.E.M

My best mates dad took a car load from our village near Berwick in 1981 to see the cup game v Exeter........me and and his son were hooked, the others less so. We drew one each, but were beaten in the replay at the other SJP...we were in divi two then as well....not a lot fuckin changes does it? :lol: Me and my mate are now ST holders but he sadly lost his dad a couple of years back.

RIP Bob Pringle B.E.M

oh im from berwick, where do you live exactly ?

rip btw

My old man moved to Newcastle in 1990. The fucker tempted me with taking me to St James Park for ages that it built into an obsession. He'd be a cheeky bastard and go to all the midweek games, give me a programme, and then use my sister's hatred of football as an excuse for not taking us on weekends.

He finally took me to the infamous David Kelly game against Portsmouth in 1992. I would challenge anyone to go to a first game like that and not be hooked.

Mum is from the North East, parents lived in Newcastle for quite a while before moving to France where I was born. Toon was always my dad's other team so because of him, because of Keegan, because of Cole, because of SJP, because of Shearer...

RIP Bob Pringle B.E.M

oh im from berwick, where do you live exactly ?

rip btw

I live in Poole in Dorset now but I'm from Morebattle which is near Coldstream.....am a "porridge mooth" :D

Born in Newcastle, and just always have. I can't recall ever actually making a choice, it was just something I did.

My dad, despite being from Newcastle, has always supported Manchester City and I think he hoped I would do the same-he tried to push me in that direction as much as possible, but I never once had the urge to follow them. NUFC were just always my club. With my dad being so awkward and my mam hating football (and being a girl, having no friends willing to go to the match with me), I didn't even get to go to a match until I was 14 and it used to kill me. For two years after that though, I rarely missed a match and then I finally bought my own season ticket when I was 16...still one of the best days of my life!

In Denmark it's pretty comon to pick up another (english) team, apart from the your local, to support during the long horrid winterbreak. Also matches are mostly played on sunday, so we usually watch some games on the tv on saturdays, getting pissed, and warming up to a horrible early bus travel sunday morning.

My affection for Newcastle came, when Jon Dahl Tomasson was bought by Newcastle. I always had a sweet spot for him, and loved him as a player. Eventought that didn't work out for both, my affection for Newcastle didn't leave

My brother took me to a reserves game when I was 5 years old in 1976.

I got in for free (made me feel like a VIP :lol: ) my brother said the bloke on the turnstile let me in for free as it was my first game, don't know if that's the real reason or not. That's when my love for the toon started!

my mum doesn't really support anyone, my dad just supports who ever is playing against man u

I genuinely don't know how I ended up with newcastle but I'm still here and always will be

My Dad took me to my first game in 74, aged six. Think it was a cup game. I remember being in the "trench" right at the front of the old West Stand. Carried on since.

Not a choice really, more a birthright.

My Dad took me and some mates to a game when I was about 8.

Best mates family were heavily involved with the supporters club shop in Haymarket, always loved spending time in there.

Took myself off to games as soon as I was old enough.

Later sold programmes in the Milburn when it first opened. Made no money but got to see the home games.

I also liked winding up the makems in the family.

Can't recall when or why I started supporting the club, but have done so for as long as I can remember. Can also say I never ever regret the decision, especially when you see glory supporters all over the place, and in Australia they are seriously all over the place, the majority being either Man U or Liverpool, with the exception of a few Leeds following Kewell and Viduka's stints. Make's you feel proud to support a club which is not based on continuous success and trophies (although that would be an added bonus)

Moved here when I was 8 and I dont really remember making a decision but I remember me next door neighbour giving iz an old toon top of his, one with the brown ale badge in the middle, I fucking loved it and used to sleep in it and one day I was in town with me mam and me brother and a limo drove past and it stopped and a man came out of it and gave iz a toon top, at the time the NTL one, and I didnt really know who it was I just tuck it of him and put it in the shopping bag and as I was walking away I heard someone say "that was Laurent Robert yee na" I think ever since then I've really really really took the toon to heart

Edited by bawan

I supported Villa till i was like 10 or 11.

Went to my first toon game, fell in love, never looked back.

Pray to god Stevie never reads that, OK? :lol:

Pray to god Stevie never reads that, OK? :D

whats that ??? is that the sound of piss simmering to the boil ?

:lol:

For me it's a family thing.

My entire family have always supported Newcastle and both sides of the family have travelled to support us as early as the 50's, possibly earlier but I have only seen programmes from the 50's, particularly one from Portsmouth! It must have taken ages to get their on a steam train!

It's something I have never really had a choice about but it's impossible not to fall in love with, despite not knowing much about John Anderson.

Initially I lived in and supported Gateshead when they played in the 3rd Div.North but had a change of loyalty when I shook the hand of Jackie Milburn. I was a member of the BBC Boys Club on Gladstone Ave. and for a reason I can't remember Milburn came to visit the Club and I was smitten. All the boys were clamouring to get near him and shake his hand, not all of them did, but I did and from that day forward Gateshead FC took a back seat. I think it was in 1946 when I was 13 and despite the fact I went to sea as an engineer when I was 21 then years later immigrated to California my love and support for the Lads has never faltered, and never will.

Not sure where it started.. probably with being from Newcastle - family from Wallsend & Byker.. went to the 1974 cup final all be it in my Mam's womb.. then used to listen to their games on world service from Africa, before returning to UK.

Teenage years were fun with all friends supporting first Liverpool.. then Man Utd ... then Arsenal.. oh and then back to Liverpool.. all of this of course in Norwich (edit: I might add that to be honest having spent a lot of time in Norwich - they used to play good football & do have a lot of loyal fans.. just not all :lol:).. whilst they used to laugh & joke about Newcastle.. well thought I'd had the last laugh with us turning things around under Keegan (1st time.. or technically 2nd time.. maybe even 3rd time.. how many times is it now he's technically left?? :D..

Not looking so good now..

Still working on turning my wife to them.. even took her to the Fulham game (what a stupid stupid stupid thing to do!!!).. there was me thinking.. it'll be great we'll win & stay up.. probably not the best way to convince her..

Still it goes on.. supporting The Toon never is dull...

Edited by dcraggs

My local team bought some bloke called Keegan who was supposed to be some sort of superstar, the nation's media didn't shut up about it and I guess I got obsessed about it.

27 years later I'm still obsessed and always will be. My Grandad supported Preston, my Dad Blackpool, my Mam Everton and my brother Leeds. Such was my obsession that, with the exception of my Grandad, I converted the lot of them.

As for my own kids, I was having a chat with my daughter the other day and they said they'd be talking about which teams they support at school. Down this way they're all supporting Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Reading, Spurs or Pompey. When I asked her what she'd said she replied "Newcastle United of course!"

That's my girl :D - although she's learning to take flak for it as well apparently :P

My young'un gets load of shit from blackburn fans at school, he is dealing with it really well and tells them "we will be back cos we have the best suppport, Rovers are poo" thats my boy :lol:

Pray to god Stevie never reads that, OK? :P

whats that ??? is that the sound of piss simmering to the boil ?

:D

its the hiss of piss hitting the hob mate,

Stevie = :lol: