Why do YOU support Newcastle United?

JonTheMag

Once upon a tyne, while i was waiting for the burt tu cum in and bring me a little fishy, I cut me knee and a nurticed the blood were al' stripey. Black n white if ye divvent mind. Me mam churked on her stotty and said I were the spit of Hughie Gallacher, so I had the Beardsley tattoo done and ordered the cortains and now every saturday is ruined.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty simple for me.

Though an Australian bloke, my earliest memories come from when my family lived in Newcastle (around '77-'80) and I was about two or three at the time.

Skip forward to the late 90s and I'm developing an interest football.

It makes sense the EPL team that I have at least SOME connection with is NUFC.

Coupled with the fact that Shearer and a great squad was playing and, most of all, they aren't Man U or Liverpool.

I really hate the blind following that those teams get around the world.

I've been asked this a lot recently. I think mostly what people mean is "seeing as you're not from Newcastle why have you CHOSEN to put yourself through considerable agony time and time again?". My usual answer is that my mum used to live up there, when we visited and I saw St James Park standing proudly in the heart of the city something stirred inside me. But I think the real answer is that I just fell in love with the club, and now I'm married to it for life, no matter what will happen to it. The club means as much to me as it does to anyone.

A lot of people also say something along the lines of "you could have chosen anyone. ANYONE. Why didn't you chose Man U?" Whoever choses what they fall in love with? I think I'm falling for a mormon who doesn't drink or have sex before marriage ffs. Do you think I'd chose to do that? Of course not. Heart will always rule over head (with occasional consultation of the genitals - I don't know where that fits into the analogy - Barcelona or someone I guess), and long may that be the case.

Had no choice really. Born and bred in Newcastle upon Tyne. There is no choice.

Ditto.

As a kid when I was becoming aware of and interested in Football it was just a natural conclusion that because I was from Newcastle, Newcastle United was the team I HAD to support. I had no idea that some people picked their teams on who happened to be good at the time.

I've been asked this a lot recently. I think mostly what people mean is "seeing as you're not from Newcastle why have you CHOSEN to put yourself through considerable agony time and time again?". My usual answer is that my mum used to live up there, when we visited and I saw St James Park standing proudly in the heart of the city something stirred inside me. But I think the real answer is that I just fell in love with the club, and now I'm married to it for life, no matter what will happen to it. The club means as much to me as it does to anyone.

A lot of people also say something along the lines of "you could have chosen anyone. ANYONE. Why didn't you chose Man U?" Whoever choses what they fall in love with? I think I'm falling for a mormon who doesn't drink or have sex before marriage ffs. Do you think I'd chose to do that? Of course not. Heart will always rule over head (with occasional consultation of the genitals - I don't know where that fits into the analogy - Barcelona or someone I guess), and long may that be the case.

You know, I tend to think that there are acceptable reasons for supporting a club.

Coming from the area, family reasons - your dad, grandad etc were supporters and came from the area, moved to the area and adopted them etc.

But there are people who don't really fall into any of the catagories and yet they support us. And I can't help but admire because it shows that they're not gloryhunters. The same goes for any bandwagon jumpers who hopped on in the mid 90s, if they're still with us now, they're not in it for the glory.

If people in those positions can stick with us through all the shit and embarrassments we've endured, then fair play, in my book they're as welcome to be amongst us as anyone.

Because I love a bit of controversy and love it when something interesting happens. Turns out there is never a dull moment at Newcastle United so I fit in pretty well.

Can't recall when or why I started supporting the club, but have done so for as long as I can remember. Can also say I never ever regret the decision, especially when you see glory supporters all over the place, and in Australia they are seriously all over the place, the majority being either Man U or Liverpool, with the exception of a few Leeds following Kewell and Viduka's stints. Make's you feel proud to support a club which is not based on continuous success and trophies (although that would be an added bonus)

That's reasonably similar to my story.

I used to read the football scores in the newspaper in the early 90s (was also checking the basketball scores). This would have been the early 90s (93 onwards). I chose out Newcastle as the team I supported as they weren't Manchester United or Liverpool and were in a decent position in the table. That and the fact that a few hours up the road from Sydney (where I live) is a city called Newcastle. My initial interest was only casual, but over time as my interest in football grew, so did my interest in Newcastle United. I'm officially hooked.