The ones that got away

JonTheMag

It seems like we have a tendency for selling players who we really shouldn't be getting rid off. I just thought I'd mention some of these players and where theyve gone off to. Add any others you see fit.

James Milner: The obvious one. Now one a "top 4 breaking" Villa side. Way to go Wise.

Shay Given: Man City...I dont want to talk about it :wub:

Abdoulaye Faye: On Stoke, helped them stay up. A big imposing center back. How could CoLOLccini POSSIBLY be better than him?!

Craig Bellamy: While we did get rid off him a while back, he's now playing for Manchester City. Couldn't we have used him over Shola?

Scott Parker: Not quite sure what he's done at West Ham, but at least theyre in the prem.

Jermaine Jenas: Over at Spurs, not exactly starting though.

Kieron Dyer: Injured maybe? Same issue with Parker though.

While a few of these players have been injured or havent had a regular first team run, surely they wouldve been better than the current crop of players we have?

Thing is your list all had other factors like not settling or being too big for their boots (Jenas) - I'd say a list of players who were sold against their will would be more interesting eg Stave Watson.

It seems like we have a tendency for selling players who we really shouldn't be getting rid off. I just thought I'd mention some of these players and where theyve gone off to. Add any others you see fit.

James Milner: The obvious one. Now one a "top 4 breaking" Villa side. Way to go Wise.

Shay Given: Man City...I dont want to talk about it :lol:

Abdoulaye Faye: On Stoke, helped them stay up. A big imposing center back. How could CoLOLccini POSSIBLY be better than him?!

Craig Bellamy: While we did get rid off him a while back, he's now playing for Manchester City. Couldn't we have used him over Shola?

Scott Parker: Not quite sure what he's done at West Ham, but at least theyre in the prem.

While a few of these players have been injured or havent had a regular first team run, surely they wouldve been better than the current crop of players we have?

Selling some of those was the correct thing to do. Not replacing them and the money not benig used to spend on the first team is the reason why we are in such a mess.

Aye, we've "missed" Dyer ever since he left. I mean he's barely played at West Ham, so it was the rigt thing to do, but not replacing him was ludicrous. Solano has been a massive miss too - we would have stopped up if we'd had one player in the squad with his guile.

Faye was one of the biggest and easily avoided mistakes.

I know people keep saying we shouldn't have sold him, but didn't he have a falling out with Keegan against Everton on the last day of the season? Also, he said he wanted to move back to the North West. So he wasn't exactly shipped out.

If we're working off that sort of criteria, I'll have Gazza and Hammann back.

Faye was one of the biggest and easily avoided mistakes.

He was, although they said he wanted to go, but with the :lol: that flows out of our club. :D

I remember Tony Pulis said when Stoke came in for Faye that he thought he had a good chance of getting him because Faye wanted a move back to the North West. Bassong's better anyway - the problem's been the £10mil pissed away by Wise on Coloccini. Woodgate was Keegan's original target, and I wish we'd got him.

The first 4 I'd probably agree with although I'd echo 2J's comments that it was the failure to replace them rather than selling them that was wrong.

Parker, Jenas & Dyer though were right to be sold.

Agree about Steve Watson and also probably Aaron Hughes. Worst one of all though had to be Sir Les.

The one I really can't decide about is Woody. Sure we were all rubbing our hands with glee when he could never get fit for Real Madrid but we still tried to bring him back here twice and he has been pretty rock solid for both Boro and Spurs. Best defender I've ever seen in a Newcastle shirt by a country mile.

I was surprised when Nobby Solano left. He seemed to me to be a good winger who can put in decent crosses. I don't know if you signed anyone as a replacement, but he was a good player. Sir Les too, again I don't know if someone came in to replace him after he went to Spuds, but he worked really well with St. Alan.

Anyone miss Hugo Viana?

Not sure where you got your information, he is first choice and the most valuable player out of all those listed. Linked with Inter currently.

Not sure where you got your information, he is first choice and the most valuable player out of all those listed. Linked with Inter currently.

More Valuable than Given? I'd challenge that, but whatever.

We should never had let Hughes go for the sum we did, Ferdinand shouldn't have gone either, but that was unfortunate timing. Milner and N'Zogbia this season was a disaster. Letting Given go midseason was unbelievable.

Shay Given: Man City...I dont want to talk about it :P

Arrogant Spurs fan shocker! :lol::D:P

I was surprised when Nobby Solano left. He seemed to me to be a good winger who can put in decent crosses. I don't know if you signed anyone as a replacement, but he was a good player. Sir Les too, again I don't know if someone came in to replace him after he went to Spuds, but he worked really well with St. Alan.

Anyone miss Hugo Viana?

Solano was allowed to leave so he could be closer to his ex-wife and their kids who were in London. He's now playing back in Peru :lol:

think this thread says everything forget about those that are gone for one reason or another jenas good player but wanted to go faye good player but wanted to go, milner the same, bellamy just a problem child, bramble much better before being here and better after, the question why are none of these good prem players never happy and settled at newcastle>

Has Bramble really improved at Wigan, or has the spotlight been removed?

He's still making basic errors, giving away peno's etc, just people aren't doing highlight reels of his fuck ups since he left us.

Edited by Barney

That's from 2007/8 surely? He made a couple of ricks early on, got dropped for a bit and since then has been a regular starter for them.

Many Wigan fans are making him their player of the season.

Anyone miss Hugo Viana?

Solano was allowed to leave so he could be closer to his ex-wife and their kids who were in London. He's now playing back in Peru :D

Oh right, fair enough.

Titus Bramble............................ :P:lol:

Aye, we've "missed" Dyer ever since he left. I mean he's barely played at West Ham, so it was the rigt thing to do, but not replacing him was ludicrous. Solano has been a massive miss too - we would have stopped up if we'd had one player in the squad with his guile.

This.

Has Bramble really improved at Wigan, or has the spotlight been removed?

the fact he won wigan's player of the season this year speaks volumes about what can happen with a bit of decent coaching.