Mike Ashley puts Newcastle on the block

Scottish Mag

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that Harris fella, he's been tot the training ground hasn't he? Strange the bloke charged with getting the club sold is in and around the negotiations of a new manager....................

Theres also no chance the new managers terms and conditions takes over a week to sort out..................................

You know that Harris fella, he's been tot the training ground hasn't he? Strange the bloke charged with getting the club sold is in and around the negotiations of a new manager....................

Theres also no chance the new managers terms and conditions takes over a week to sort out..................................

Shearer the middle man for Shepherd? :lol:

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

Shepherd bled black and white though, that is the thing.

Sniffign about as part of a consortium with a shit load of others, doesn't sound a good set up.

never gets dull when you support the toon!

Sometimes I wish it fucking would be.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

Not as much as he bled incompetence and stupidity.

Shearer the middle man for Shepherd? :lol:

Some other fella, don't know who.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6396030.ece

THE sportswear tycoon Mike Ashley is to put Newcastle United football club up for sale with a £100m price tag.

Ashley will appoint Keith Harris, chairman of Seymour Pierce, or bankers at NM Roth-schild this week with a mandate to achieve a quick sale. His decision comes just days after the club was relegated from the Premier League.

The asking price is £34m less than Ashley paid for the club two years ago. Since then he has ploughed £110m of his own money into the northeast team to pay down its debts.

Ashley told The Sunday Times: “It has been catastrophic for everybody. I’ve lost my money and I’ve made terrible decisions. Now I want to sell it as soon as I can . . . advisers will be appointed shortly.”

If Ashley manages to find a buyer it will put an end to his controversial and occasionally acrimonious two-year spell in control at St James’ Park, having initially put the club up for sale for £400m last September because of a series of protests and demonstrations following Kevin Keegan’s departure as manager.

But dropping out of the top flight of English football has slashed the value of the club.

There has been some interest from Nigeria and South Africa but no firm takeover offers. The club’s demotion will make it harder to drum up bid interest.

Asked if he regretted his decision to buy the club two years ago, Ashley, who owns the sportswear chain Sports Direct, said: “Of course I regret it. I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I was just a fan – although a very wealthy fan. But I’m not so wealthy now. I put my money into it and I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short. I am genuinely sorry for everybody about what has happened.”

Ashley landed a £929m pay-day when he floated Sports Direct on the London stock exchange in 2007, but the credit crunch and a string of ill-fated gambles have slashed his wealth from £1.4 billion to £700m, according to this year’s Sunday Times Rich List.

The news comes as talks to give Alan Shearer, the care-taker manager, a full-time contract to rebuild Newcastle United were continuing this weekend.

Ashley also praised former interim manager Joe Kinnear, who took temporary charge of the club after Keegan quit last autumn. “I personally thought Joe put the club back on the right track. He took it from second bottom to 13th but things went against him,” said Ashley. Kinnear was forced to stand down because of ill health.

After its relegation from the Premier League, the club faces a big restructuring that is likely to lead to a clear-out of the first-team playing squad to balance the books. At present, Newcastle relies on a £40m work-ing-capital facility from Bar-clays bank.

Meanwhile, West Ham United is poised to be taken over by its creditors in coming weeks. Sources close to the east London football club say the huge debts of former owner Bjorgol-fur Gudmundsson and those of the club itself have all but killed the chances of any rescue.

This means it will fall into the hands of Icelandic bank Straumur and a consortium of other financial institutions.

Straumur is owed about £100m by Gudmundsson, while the club owes about £45m to a group of banks including RBS.

The Icelandic bank is expected to hold on to the club for between two and three years before putting it up for sale.

Sums the dickhead up completely.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

Shepherd is also a fucking idiot, that is the thing. The man replaced Bobby Robson with GREAME FUCKING SOUNESS. All of our current problems can be traced back to that time. Don't let the reign of Ashley make you forget how bad it ended up under Shepherd. His fucked up decisions were leading us on a path to financial meltdown.

This has eclipsed Leeds as the biggest horror story in Premier League History. 2 years, £150million lost and a relegaton to boot. Whelan must be pissing himself with laughter.

You know what will happen, Shearer will not get given a contract cos 'someone else' is buying the club. Due diligence and all that bollocks will take us up to a week before the start of the season. We get bids for all our best players, we sell them and dont have time to replace them and start the season with an even worse squad than the one we have now

I'm glad you mentioned that. I can't help but feel that the longer the negotiations take the less chance there is of Shearer being hired.

However, we can still hope this 'takeover' is from a rich bloke who has some master plan to get us into the Premiership and spalsh the cash.

Edited by Attain

I'm glad you mentioned that. I can't help but feel that the longer the negotiations take the less chance there is of Shearer being hired.

There is if he buys / fronts the bid for the club. It may be a case of chairman Shearer though, just a guess on the latter part.

well i supposed at least Bassong will not be sold... :lol:

Seriously though, is there anything left this fat cunt can do to take the piss further?

I'm subscribing to the idea that there are a handful of interested parties out there who have looked at the books and were just waiting to see which division we were in before making their move. That should mean (in theory) that any potential takeover is quick.

I'm subscribing to the idea that there are a handful of interested parties out there who have looked at the books and were just waiting to see which division we were in before making their move. That should mean (in theory) that any potential takeover is quick.

Just blind optimism that though isn't it. No part of Ashley's reign has went smoothly at all!

Just blind optimism that though isn't it. No part of Ashley's reign has went smoothly at all!

Did I claim it was anything else :lol:

David Craig has just been on SSN and he reckons there is going to be a story in the News Of The World tomorrow saying Newcastle have been given 7 days by there bankers to slash 50% of there debt or face trouble.

David Craig has just been on SSN and he reckons there is going to be a story in the News Of The World tomorrow saying Newcastle have been given 7 days by there bankers to slash 50% of there debt or face trouble.

Is this of the debt that we apparently didn't have? Fucking hell the hits just keep on coming!

This night just gets better and better.

Going to focus on the fact that it's a NOTW story and choose to believe it's bullshit, for now.

Must admit the thing that is keeping me sane is that this is two articles from the press. We've heard nothing on the BBC, nothing from .COM and nothing at all from the club.

This could all well be a journalists ploy to sell more newspapers that said though, this is little Newcastle who nobody gives a fuck about apparently :lol:

Mike Ashley has revealed he is looking to sell Newcastle as soon as possible following the club's relegation to the Championship.

The Magpies owner apologised this week for the mistakes he had made during both the 2008/9 campaign and previous seasons.

He is now keen to offload the club and recoup some of his massive investment, although he accepts he is facing a significant loss.

"It has been catastrophic for everybody," Ashley told the Sunday Times.

"I've lost my money and I've made terrible decisions. Now I want to sell it as soon as I can ... advisers will be appointed shortly."

Ashley admits he was wrong to buy a 100 per cent stake in Newcastle in 2007, saying: "Of course I regret it. I never said I was an expert in football clubs.

"I was just a fan - although a very wealthy fan. But I'm not so wealthy now. I put my money into it and I tried my best.

Woefully short

"But I accept my best was woefully short. I am genuinely sorry for everybody about what has happened."

Ashley had sought a buyer last year when he was criticised by supporters in the wake of Kevin Keegan's departure from St James' Park.

Keith Harris, chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, scoured the world looking for buyers after being asked to do so by Ashley.

None of the interested parties came up with an acceptable deal and Ashley opted to put a hold on his plans to sell.

However, it is understood that Harris could now be in talks with a new group after travelling to the North East earlier this week.

Mike Ashley has revealed he is looking to sell Newcastle as soon as possible following the club's relegation to the Championship.

The Magpies owner apologised this week for the mistakes he had made during both the 2008/9 campaign and previous seasons.

He is now keen to offload the club and recoup some of his massive investment, although he accepts he is facing a significant loss.

"It has been catastrophic for everybody," Ashley told the Sunday Times.

"I've lost my money and I've made terrible decisions. Now I want to sell it as soon as I can ... advisers will be appointed shortly."

Ashley admits he was wrong to buy a 100 per cent stake in Newcastle in 2007, saying: "Of course I regret it. I never said I was an expert in football clubs.

"I was just a fan - although a very wealthy fan. But I'm not so wealthy now. I put my money into it and I tried my best.

Woefully short

"But I accept my best was woefully short. I am genuinely sorry for everybody about what has happened."

Ashley had sought a buyer last year when he was criticised by supporters in the wake of Kevin Keegan's departure from St James' Park.

Keith Harris, chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, scoured the world looking for buyers after being asked to do so by Ashley.

None of the interested parties came up with an acceptable deal and Ashley opted to put a hold on his plans to sell.

However, it is understood that Harris could now be in talks with a new group after travelling to the North East earlier this week.

Wasn't he just buying a set of roof bars from Halfords?