Mike Ashley puts Newcastle on the block

Scottish Mag

Incidentally (and someone will have to dig out his statement from back in September when he last tried to flog us) didn't he say something back then about "there's not going to be a firesale... whoever buys this club will be someone who has the clubs best interests at heart...."

What the fuck do you call this then Mike? More ammo for HF's compendium....

:lol:

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I hate the prick, my stance is thus;

He got us in the is shit, he can get us the fuck out of it. Selling is an easy option for the tit, let the fucker suffer like the rest of us have.

Hello everyone by the way.

December 2008:

''Firstly any potential buyer would have to show they had the best interests of Newcastle United at heart and had both the commitment and finance to be worthy custodians of such a fine football club before I would even consider doing a deal.

''And secondly, I gave you my word that as long as I remain owner, this club would continue to be run responsibly at all levels. I hope you will accept that I have stood by that pledge.''

The £100m price tag is laughable. Writing off Ashley's additional injections of cash altogether and bearing in mind we're probably facing a £30-40m funding gap this season unless we want to play the U18s all season then consortia should be approaching Ashley with offers of half of that amount at best. The club doesn't just lose money- it absolutely haemorrages it.

It would appear that Ashley's stackpile has dwindled through repeated poor investments and he simply isn't able to sustain the venture any longer.

Ashley's options are simple- sell for what you can get or face completely running out of cash- probably within months. He paid way too much for the club and now has to face the consequences.

If Pompey were bought for £30m, I'm not sure we're worth anything at all. Any bidder coming in will probably need around £150m to properly sustain the club through a full restructure.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/3348...p-for-sale.html

'I've made terrible decisions,' admits Newcastle owner

By MARTIN HARDY, 30/05/2009

ALAN SHEARER'S future as Newcastle manager is hanging in the balance after Mike Ashley officially put the club up for sale.

Shearer and assistant Iain Dowie threatened to walk out this week after Ashley was unable to assure them funds would be available for rebuilding.

And now there are real doubts Shearer will stay after Ashley revealed he is looking for a quick sale. Sources close to the club believe he would take as little as £80million for Newcastle.

Ashley said: "It has been catastrophic for everybody. I've lost my money and I've made terrible decisions. Now I want to sell it as soon as I can . . . advisers will be appointed shortly."

With Ashley desperate to get out of St James' Park, Shearer's appointment will only be confirmed if a new financial structure is approved by the club's bankers this week. A provisional agreement is in place for Shearer and his assistant Iain Dowie to sign four-year contracts.

But before they can start the job of leading the club back into the Premier League, Newcastle's bankers have insisted Ashley puts a new business plan in place.

That will include a staggering 50 per cent reduction in Newcastle's £40m overdraft and a major overhaul of a pay structure which has been allowed to spiral.

That means Shearer's deal has been shelved while talks between Ashley and the club's financiers continue this week.

Shearer and Dowie were prepared to walk away from St James' Park last week after an initial breakdown in talks.

Kitty

Ashley said he was unable to provide any funds for players and the managerial duo said they could not do the job under those circumstances.

But within hours, Ashley changed his mind and said he would give them a transfer kitty of up to £20m - on the understanding they unload some of Newcastle's overpaid and underachieving players.

That will have to form part of the business plan demanded by the bank.

Managing director Derek Llambias has a series of meetings scheduled with both lawyers and financiers this week with a deadline of Friday expected to be set for an agreement.

Shearer and assistant Iain Dowie threatened to walk out this week after Ashley was unable to assure them funds would be available for rebuilding.

Who the fuck would want to be our manager with shit like this happening to every manager we've ever had?

oh, hold on, I forgot, we still have big fat Joe! it's ok lads, we can all breath a huge sigh of relief.

My immediate thoughts are that this is good news and a new buyer will takeover fairly soon. If some dude is interested in purchasing fuckin' Pompey, then surely we are a bargain buy?

Where does this £40m Barclays overdraft come from????? I thought we were debt free - apart from the loan owed to Ashley ?? Unless this is what the mortgage business Peaspud found is all about???

However, as I said, my initial reaction is one of utter joy.

So on the day he gets rid of 100 jobs he then states he is going to sell the club for 100 mill..

Really does smell of coming up here with 1 aim..

I'll be so pleased to see the back of him & the rest of the wasters & hangers on that are currently part of the 1st team.

1st Division here we come - but heah we'll have the best ground in it - that's if we don't have to take it apart for scrap metal to pay Ashley's debts for him.

Indeed, first reaction is one of wariness but still happy that we'd be finally rid of the useless fat prick. IF (and by the way things are going it's a big 'if') a buyout is fairly quick it could be a great thing... however as things never run that smoothly for us and people are going to want to be uber nit-picking on all the books this is likely to take most of the closed season to sort out. If that happens we'll be ill-prepared for our first season in the Championship and I say 'first' because I'd expect to to have to right off this year and hope that whoever comes in can pick things up the following season. Just depends on who (if anyone) comes in and how quickly really.

It's morbidly amusing that this is exactly what I predicted Ashley would do the other day, knowing our luck it's probably all a ploy so that he doesn't have to spend anything during the closed season, can turn round at the end of the transfer window and say "I tried to sell up, it's not my fault", then lumber us with an inferior, unprepared squad, a manager such as Joe Kinnear and nothing what-so-ever to look forward to for even longer.

I hope and pray that our luck changes this week and everything starts to fall in to place because as things are we're continuing on that downward spiral and it's just gaining speed.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

Skunkers rumours....

to be honest i'm not sure if i "know" much more than i did 2 hours ago i've had a load more info thrown my way about who may or may not be behind bids and counterbids - definately 2 consortia vying for power and i am led to believe shearer's hat is in the ring with one of them so to speak

ffs consotium has already bid £90mil according to one source and i have been told they were working on scaring other bids off from within the city

the financial situation is as it was - ashley paid 134 for the club, has guaranteed personally 100mil of the debt but there are bank lendings still in place which i was led to believe were closer to 70 mil though what they were on and whether that was the right figure i don't know - notw say 40 mil but hey whats 30 mil between friends!

have also been given some curious quotes attributed to llambias that he "feels for ashley and couldn;t give a fuck about the fans" and they "won't be back next season" and were" never given a chance" and thet we'd have been alright if "kinnear hadn;t thrown his wobbler"

erm - more as it happens on ssn - skunkers sports news

Potentially months of due dilligence, the new owners'll definitely do it.

Who know's who they'll want as amanager, who's going to produce the cash for transfers

Back where we were when Keegan walked

Glad he's going but timing is shite

There are no words sufficient to express the depth of my hatred towards this useless bag of skin for what he has done to my club.

I hope he loses everything- every penny, house , possession he has.

Cunt

Don;t understand the negativity here - did anyone really think he was going to invest/commit himsel? It doesn't mention what happens to the 100m loan but if if for a second he's writing that off as well then a price of 100m would allow someone plenty of room for major investment - even £200m would.

As for Shearer he hasn't exactly got a job to go back to so apart from losing out on prep time I can't see a huge difference here.

Remember when Keane took over the Mackems in August with a potful of cash he had enough time to buy enough to take them up.