Mike Ashley puts Newcastle on the block

Scottish Mag

Louise Taylor:

As an Omani consortium eyes Newcastle United, Alan Shearer's future remains opaque. Talks continue between the club and their former striker over whether he will become their long-term manager.

With the newly relegated club up for sale at £100m, interest from wealthy investors in Muscat in a possible takeover at St James' Park swirled around Tyneside. A UK-based investment group is also contemplating an offer, but, for the moment at least, Mike Ashley is still the owner of a club which may yet take some weeks, if not months, to sell and currently lacks a manager.

Shearer, who presided over the last eight games of the season, wants the job, but Ashley has been unwilling to provide the financial backing needed to meet Shearer's requirements on personal terms and transfer budget. "Talks are ongoing and we hope to have something resolved by the end of the week," said the managing director, Derek Llambias.

Should Shearer fail to compromise and the deal fall through, Ashley is likely to turn to Joe ­Kinnear to serve, once again, as ­Newcastle's interim manager until a new owner takes over and identifies a preferred long-term appointment.

Kinnear stepped in when Kevin Keegan walked out last September but fell ill with heart problems which required a triple bypass in February. The former Wimbledon and Nottingham Forest manager is now restored to good health and could be persuaded to return on a temporary basis.

Newcastle fans are, however, likely to respond frostily to a Kinnear comeback and, in the main, desperately hope Shearer will finally be installed and kept in post when new owners eventually move in.

The viability of Shearer's blueprint for rebuilding the club is being assessed by bankers who are expected to provide Ashley and Llambias with their answers on Wednesday.

Last night Shearer denied making specific demands of Ashley. "I met Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias last week and we discussed at length the future of Newcastle United and my desire to be the manager moving forward. I made no demands but there were obvious conditions. We simply proposed an honest evaluation of what was needed to get the club back into the Premiership whilst building solid foundations for the future.

"I fully understand Mike Ashley's decision to sell the club as he feels it's now in the best interest of the club and the fans. I hope to know more by the end of the week."

Nicky Butt has urged Ashley to find a way of keeping Shearer. "Alan is somebody we all respect," the midfielder said. "To have him on board is a big plus for Newcastle United. The experience of having Alan and Iain Dowie [his assistant] in training made every player happy."

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Omani group has expressed an interest in buying the St James' Park club from Mike Ashley.

The organisation from Oman is said to have already demonstrated it has the money to take the club of Ashley's hands and plan to invest hundreds of millions of pounds into the newly-relegated Championship club.

:D;):omgwank::omgwank::omgwank::omgwank::omgwank::omgwank::omgwank:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...tle-United.html

Nicky Butt needs to fuck off.

The Sun:

New Portsmouth owner Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim says he was interested in buying the Toon last year. But Ashley wanted £400m - a £160m profit on his £240m investment.

Al Fahim said: "I'd have paid £200m for Newcastle because it's a great club. But the guy wanted £400m. He's got to be kidding."

Six months on, Ashley is prepared to take just £100m.

:D

Doesn't reading that just feel like a kick in the clems... ;)

The Sun:

New Portsmouth owner Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim says he was interested in buying the Toon last year. But Ashley wanted £400m - a £160m profit on his £240m investment.

Al Fahim said: "I'd have paid £200m for Newcastle because it's a great club. But the guy wanted £400m. He's got to be kidding."

Is that quote genuine? I thought he had just bought Pompey and guaranteed 300m or so for a new stadium, not exactly miles away from the investment required for us.

The Sun:

Is that quote genuine? I thought he had just bought Pompey and guaranteed 300m or so for a new stadium, not exactly miles away from the investment required for us.

Yes the trip where Ashley was kneeling in the bar taking the piss out of us.

I think you've missed my point, his outlay for Pompey will be pretty much on par with what he was quoted for us.

We already had the fan base and the income with a lesser wage ratio. I am a little suspicious of the quotes when things don't really add up.

Edited by Delscottio

I think you've missed my point, his outlay for Pompey will be pretty much on par with what he was quoted for us.

We already had the fan base and the income with a lesser wage ratio. I am a little suspicious of the quotes when things don't really add up.

What doesn't add up?

That area of Portsmouth is zoned for redevelopment. He will get money from the coucil, the EU and god himself if needed. He will build a hotel and apartments and a shopping center. The initial capital is small fry over long term returns.

Hmmm - the Omanis I've met are nice folk but not brilliant businessmen................

Thats a canny big brush you've got

5th biggest brush in the world apparently.

So this guy rose to power by overthrowing his father, he makes his own laws, and has already had the Omani National Teams stadium named after himself. Who knows, next year we may be playing at The Stadium of Sultan Qaboos bin Said.

I won't even get started on the human rights black hole the Oman is...

I wonder what made him think of buying Newcastle :\

So this guy rose to power by overthrowing his father, he makes his own laws, and has already had the Omani National Teams stadium named after himself. Who knows, next year we may be playing at The Stadium of Sultan Qaboos bin Said.

I'm all outta fukin heartstrings luv.

Apparently he does a lovely flan, so, you know, swings and roundabouts.

Apparently he does a lovely flan, so, you know, swings and roundabouts.

Not read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been said but, one of my first thoughts when reading this is that we are too cheap.

£80-£100mil opens the field to a whole new level of investor - which I think is bad (stick with me - it'll make sense).

For that kind of money, we could end up with a owner who can buy the club but cannot invest heavily, unlike a billionaire owner. Even if we do bounce back up (and that's a big fucking if) we could end up like Everton - no pot to piss in and bouncing around mid-table hoping to catch a lucky run. At least Everton have a good manager in Moyes.

paws, I'd disagree.

As long as the next owner can get rid of all stench Ashley the cunt has left behind, they'll get a pat on the back and a pint from me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to get the "Ashley In" banners out but nor am I about to burst into "Ding Dong the Witch is dead" either. All I'm saying is that this has the potential to go from bad to worse. MA is not going to give a shit who he sells to, as long as they stump up the cash.

This could mean that a wealthy investor can get us at a knock down price leaving greater funds for investment. Or it could mean that someone with much less can buy us and we struggle to get out of the Championship because we can't afford to buy that extra mile (PNE for example).

It will ruin the summer break because no-one can plan for anything. We can't even sort out our manager until the future is sorted because a) he's not likely to sign a deal and :D this might influence who buys the club (ie the new owner might be put off if they dont like AS and would have to pay him off like we did with Fat Sam).

All in all, same NUFC shit, just a different day.

• 1 month later...
Oh well THERE'S a massive shock....

You see HF, this is exactly one of the things that was worrying me. We'll spend all summer trying to find a buyer, Shearer will fuck off as he won't have the assurances he needed and we really will be in the shit.

Mike thinking with pocket first, NUFC second. Evidently bought us to make money and when it all turned to shit (thanks to him) off he fucks.

Christ, I was giving it a 'worst case scenario' approach when I posted that :jesuswept:

He has poured money down a black hole and he's not getting it back.

He'll put the club into administration before he accepts that. Gemmill is right. The to an interested party is £200m but Ashley has structured the finances so that the price tag is only £100m.

The 'club' effectively doesn't owe anything at the moment as he owns it. However as soon as he flogs it, he'll be owed an extra £100m and you can guarantee he'll be more of a cunt than any loan shark from your worst nightmare.

We're fucked basically. £200m for a championship club? And not a very good one at that!

No way he can add his 100m. Doesn't make sense.

Why not? Newcastle United Football Club are in debt to Michael Ashley to the sum of £100m. So long as he owns the football club this is a negligable amount as it's his own interest that the money is invested. The football club still retains a value outside of this loan amount which he's listed as £100m.

So if someone buys the club for £100m, it is still in debt to Mike Ashley to the tune of £100m. Are you seriously telling me he'll forget about this? Particularly as he's haemorraged half his fortune and is now reported to be only worth £700m?

Nobody will pay 200m for the club.

You've got a brain inside that thick skull of yours after all... :jesuswept:

He has poured money down a black hole and he's not getting it back.

He'll put the club into administration before he accepts that. Gemmill is right. The to an interested party is £200m but Ashley has structured the finances so that the price tag is only £100m.

The 'club' effectively doesn't owe anything at the moment as he owns it. However as soon as he flogs it, he'll be owed an extra £100m and you can guarantee he'll be more of a cunt than any loan shark from your worst nightmare.

We're fucked basically. £200m for a championship club? And not a very good one at that!

No way he can add his 100m. Doesn't make sense.

Why not? Newcastle United Football Club are in debt to Michael Ashley to the sum of £100m. So long as he owns the football club this is a negligable amount as it's his own interest that the money is invested. The football club still retains a value outside of this loan amount which he's listed as £100m.

So if someone buys the club for £100m, it is still in debt to Mike Ashley to the tune of £100m. Are you seriously telling me he'll forget about this? Particularly as he's haemorraged half his fortune and is now reported to be only worth £700m?

Nobody will pay 200m for the club.

You've got a brain inside that thick skull of yours after all... :lol:

Fuck me 31st of May! :jesuswept: