So why did Mike really buy us?

peasepud

Whats your thoughts?

Mine is simple and straight forward he saw how well football tops sold in his stores and realised there was even bigger money to be made by owning the source as well as the supplier plus how hard can it be to win the Champions league? piece of piss to the great Mike Ashley business genius.

I honestly do think he assumed all he had to do was buy a top club, tell the players he wanted them to win the league and off they would pop. Then he'd pocket sackfuls of cash and see the sales of shirts shoot up as well. Running the club in the way he runs his shops, pile up the cheap tat and sell it on for a profit.

Life and especially football isnt like that Mike, its one hard slog all the way, permanenetly looking for the next big player to purchase, investing heavily and ensuring you have the right structure and personnel in place to take the club forward.

On top of that, both him and dodgy Decka are used to being able to do whatever they want in business, close a shop and who argues against it? just the staff, play dirty and its just one of them things isnt it? So they came into this doing the same shady deals and moves that they would normally however now theres 50k paying customers who actually care about the product, not just the price. The worlds media are suddenly watching your every move and reporting it, does he not like that?

I know Im a sceptic but frankly theres more to come here, its only after Fat Mike has actually gone will we start and see the actual devastation that he has wreaked. Personally, I believe that any assets the club had (outside of the stadium and training ground) have been transferred into SJ Holdings. Im also of the belief that a good chunk of the £110mil or so has already been pocketted by the fat lad so hes not really writing off the debt, hes merely set up an overdraft/ mortgage with Barclays and pocketted a fair chunk of the cash already.

No matter what happens and is said, I will not believe that hes willing to write off over a hundred million quid in investment and walk away. Only after Ive seen the accounts for this period will I be satisfied and that isnt due to happen for over a year yet. Plenty time for him to up and run.

I reckon he's a football fan with a stack of cash who thought that's all you needed to run a football club, saw a big club become available and impulse bought it.

I don't think there's ever been malevolent intent, just an absolute lack of insight, foresight... or sight to be honest. He's made awful decisions and, whle in some areas you can get away with this with a comparative lack of attention, he's been held accountable for his errors.

It'd be easy to paint him as some kind of Machiavellian villain, but I just don't think he's that bright.

It's one of the most obvious things in football, you don't make money from a football club. He'd have been better off leaving his money in a bank account.

He obviously bought on an impulse. His second biggest mistake was surrounding himself with advisors who didn't have a fucking clue about running a football Club - Wise, Veteer etc.)

But his biggest mistake was letting it all go totally tits up when it could be seen a fucking mile off that the system he had in place just wasn't working. Keegan walking should have been like an electric shock for him but, by his own admission, was totally caught out by the furore that followed. Things could and should have been put right at that point.

For a bloke who had made himself a double billionaire at one point (pre recession) he was shit slow off the mark for this particular failing business.

He could have had the world at his feet if he had got this right.

Whats your thoughts?

Mine is simple and straight forward he saw how well football tops sold in his stores and realised there was even bigger money to be made by owning the source as well as the supplier plus how hard can it be to win the Champions league? piece of piss to the great Mike Ashley business genius.

I honestly do think he assumed all he had to do was buy a top club, tell the players he wanted them to win the league and off they would pop. Then he'd pocket sackfuls of cash and see the sales of shirts shoot up as well. Running the club in the way he runs his shops, pile up the cheap tat and sell it on for a profit.

Life and especially football isnt like that Mike, its one hard slog all the way, permanenetly looking for the next big player to purchase, investing heavily and ensuring you have the right structure and personnel in place to take the club forward.

On top of that, both him and dodgy Decka are used to being able to do whatever they want in business, close a shop and who argues against it? just the staff, play dirty and its just one of them things isnt it? So they came into this doing the same shady deals and moves that they would normally however now theres 50k paying customers who actually care about the product, not just the price. The worlds media are suddenly watching your every move and reporting it, does he not like that?

I know Im a sceptic but frankly theres more to come here, its only after Fat Mike has actually gone will we start and see the actual devastation that he has wreaked. Personally, I believe that any assets the club had (outside of the stadium and training ground) have been transferred into SJ Holdings. Im also of the belief that a good chunk of the £110mil or so has already been pocketted by the fat lad so hes not really writing off the debt, hes merely set up an overdraft/ mortgage with Barclays and pocketted a fair chunk of the cash already.

No matter what happens and is said, I will not believe that hes willing to write off over a hundred million quid in investment and walk away. Only after Ive seen the accounts for this period will I be satisfied and that isnt due to happen for over a year yet. Plenty time for him to up and run.

Sadly, I think that's pretty much spot on.

He obviously bought on an impulse. His second biggest mistake was surrounding himself with advisors who didn't have a fucking clue about running a football Club - Wise, Veteer etc.)

But his biggest mistake was letting it all go totally tits up when it could be seen a fucking mile off that the system he had in place just wasn't working. Keegan walking should have been like an electric shock for him but, by his own admission, was totally caught out by the furore that followed. Things could and should have been put right at that point.

For a bloke who had made himself a double billionaire at one point (pre recession) he was shit slow off the mark for this particular failing business.

He could have had the world at his feet if he had got this right.

Totally agree with the first sentence. Hence the lack of any real vision or 'plan'. They had something sketchy in mind with regard to the Spurs system of buying breakthrough players and selling 2/3 seasons down the road, but that was about it.

I concur with the above sentiments. I don't think MA bought us to make money or some fiendish plot to destroy a club.

I think we was probably a bit bored with life as it was, and realised that owning a big ( :lol: ) club would give him the chance to be in the public spotlight for a bit. He probably thought that for 1/10 of his fortune he could become famous and earn the adoration of all the toon army, and also have the fun of being a bigwig in an organisation completely different to his own.

He probably thought that he would only have to spend £20 million each year to really get Newcastle going, and then within 5 years have the club self-sufficient by playing and selling those coming through the academies and cheap foreign players.

Its obviously all gone horribly wrong, and nearly all the blame can be put at the door of Ashley (either directly or through the men he appointed), but he just wanted to have a bit of fun

I concur with the above sentiments. I don't think MA bought us to make money or some fiendish plot to destroy a club.

I think we was probably a bit bored with life as it was, and realised that owning a big ( :D ) club would give him the chance to be in the public spotlight for a bit. He probably thought that for 1/10 of his fortune he could become famous and earn the adoration of all the toon army, and also have the fun of being a bigwig in an organisation completely different to his own.

He probably thought that he would only have to spend £20 million each year to really get Newcastle going, and then within 5 years have the club self-sufficient by playing and selling those coming through the academies and cheap foreign players.

Its obviously all gone horribly wrong, and nearly all the blame can be put at the door of Ashley (either directly or through the men he appointed), but he just wanted to have a bit of fun

See, it's fun being right, isn't it? :lol:

I think his admission that he didn't know anything about running a football club (proved by his praise of Kinnear in the same statement) was the most revealing/damning.

If someone gave me a billion I'd certainly buy the club - but the first thing I'd do would be to appoint a Kenyon type person.

I think his admission that he didn't know anything about running a football club (proved by his praise of Kinnear in the same statement) was the most revealing/damning.

If someone gave me a billion I'd certainly buy the club - but the first thing I'd do would be to appoint a Kenyon type person.

I can only assume that's what he thought he was doing in appointing Mort (he also knew fuck all about football, but didn't actually do that bad of a job), and then to a much lesser extent, Wise.

I can only assume that's what he thought he was doing in appointing Mort (he also knew fuck all about football, but didn't actually do that bad of a job), and then to a much lesser extent, Wise.

Possibly but Allardyce said Mort made mistakes/delayed early on due to the learning curve.

Wise was of course an utter fucking joke.

David Dein was available too... :lol:

I expect an unexplained fire to ravage St James' Park.....perhaps while some of the players out of contract in July are bound and gagged inside.

I was thinking, surely the best way to take care of Xisco and his ilk is to hire a hit man? It would only cost a week of their wages.

I expect an unexplained fire to ravage St James' Park.....perhaps while some of the players out of contract in July are bound and gagged inside.

I was thinking, surely the best way to take care of Xisco and his ilk is to hire a hit man? It would only cost a week of their wages.

First time I read that I was thinking you were calling for the extermination of all homosexuals :lol:

I was thinking, surely the best way to take care of Xisco and his Elk is to hire a hit man? It would only cost a week of their wages.

First time I read that I was thinking you were calling for the extermination of all homosexuals :lol:

I was hoping it was to take out a hit on Xisco and Moose...

Don't forget, Ashley apparently made a bunch of his dough buying "troubled" brands then making them profitable again. I understand that to mean he takes a brand, Kangol for instance, that was big back in the day but has fallen on hard times. Ashley buys it, slaps it on a vastly inferior product, sells it for a slightly lower price which actually does lead to profit as now the operating costs are lower than originally, so while the sales price may be less and sales themselves are still relatively low, it's still a profit.

Newcastle United was big back in the day and had fallen on hard times...

As stated above he's an impulsive bloke. He's also a risk taker. I also think like most self made men he's incredibly vain and was probably feeling bullet proof at the time. He'd plainly not thought it through and thought it would be a bit of a laugh.

Edited by Kitman

I believe it was purely a business venture which he thought could be made profitable in conjunction with his other sports related holdings and something he could use for personal pleasure.

Unfortunately he was oblivious to how a football club was ran and obviously did not surround himself with the right people.

The hiring of Keegan appeared to be a business masterstroke but to bring in Wise was an incredibly un-wise business move and Ashley did not seem to have enough business smarts to shuffle the deck and deal a winning hand. Too many jokers in the pack and not enough ace advisors.

I just don't believe that a businessman can make money on football...

He'd have been better off investnig in a pub chain if he wanted a laugh. Lower risk, better prospect of success.

No way did he buy this club to make money, that's for sure.

we were a holiday romance and we gave hime the clap*

*admittedly he gave us AIDs so... y'know... all is fare etc. etc.