Owen

The Fish

Everton look to Michael Owen after Newcastle United's decline and fall <H2>Everton manager David Moyes will offer Newcastle United striker Michael Owen a way out of St James' Park this summer with an offer to lead the club's European charge and put his name back in the England frame ahead of next year's World Cup finals in South Africa. </H2> By Telegraph staff

Published: 10:08AM BST 02 Jun 2009

Owen's £120,000-a-week deal with relegated Newcastle expires this summer and will not be renewed as the North East club starts a root and branch reform of playing and coaching staff in a bid to bounce straight back up, according to a report in the Mirror.

After three injury hit seasons at St James' Park, in which Owen has only fleetingly shown signs of the talent that saw him score regularly for Liverpool and Real Madrid, Newcastle are prepared to let Owen leave without a fight or a fee.

Everton would only be able to stretch to wages of around £50,000-a-week, a huge drop for Owen but as good an offer as he is likely to receive, and not just in financial terms. Owen's star has faded to such a degree that none of the big four sides would have room for his inconsistent talents and Newcastle's indulgence and largesse is unlikely to be replicated elsewhere.

Everton will compete in the Europa League next season, offering Owen a continental stage on which to impress Fabio Capello with both form and fitness.

Owen needs a high profile, successful season to be included in the Italian's likely World Cup squad after being given the cold shoulder so far during the Capello's reign.

Owen is also based near Liverpool and has his horse racing interests in the area and so a return to the city where he made his name would suit him.

Bill Kenwright is willing to back Moyes with the requisite funds, with Everton's need to sign a reliable goalscorer with proven Premier League experience paramount as the club look to kick on to challenge for a top four finish next season.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheerio.

£40m = 26 league goals. That seems like a fair return.

The fucker should offer to play for us in the Championship next season for free.

Edited by ewerk

Cheerio.

£40m = 26 league goals. That seems like a fair return.

The fucker should offer to play for us in the Championship next season for free.

Fuck off we need someone who can actually put the ball in the back of the net!

this echos liverpools sentiments when he left them. trouble is he was a world class player then. now he's not going to a top 4 side because he's not good enough. ho hum.

we certainly got our moneys worth out of him eh?

What truly baffles me is that he's spent 4 years being utterly shit and spectacularly injury prone with us which is just about 1 third of his proffesional career and he is still considered "world class" in so many circles, pundits, commentators, journalists all think hes still ace for some reason, it was through what should have been his peak as well 25-29, but if you take it out of his whole career and look at just his time with us 71 appearances and 26 goals in 4 years gets down to about 18 appearances 6-7 goals per season which is utter dog shit and its not like there is much else going on with his game other than scoring

mind boggling

What truly baffles me is that he's spent 4 years being utterly shit and spectacularly injury prone with us which is just about 1 third of his proffesional career and he is still considered "world class" in so many circles, pundits, commentators, journalists all think hes still ace for some reason, it was through what should have been his peak as well 25-29, but if you take it out of his whole career and look at just his time with us 71 appearances and 26 goals in 4 years gets down to about 18 appearances 6-7 goals per season which is utter dog shit and its not like there is much else going on with his game other than scoring

mind boggling

Michael Owen will score goals if he's fit and you make chances for him.

That was an especially big 'if' at Newcastle.

Edited by Happy Face

mind boggling

so assuming hes not injured, and someone else does all the work for him, he'll score

not what I'd ask for in a world class striker, he was alright when he had pace but he can't even escape most defenders in a straight run anymore

mind boggling

so assuming hes not injured, and someone else does all the work for him, he'll score

not what I'd ask for in a world class striker, he was alright when he had pace but he can't even escape most defenders in a straight run anymore

I don't think anyone's claiming he's shown world class form in the last 4 years. That's why he's no longer an international and none of the top 4 want him. If you show me a pundit that's said otherwise, I'll agree with you.

A lot of people would say he can do a job in the Premier league given service and has more quality than Emile heskey who's got his place in the England squad.

Edited by Happy Face

mind boggling

I don't think anyone's claiming he's shown world class form in the last 4 years. That's why he's no longer an international and none of the top 4 want him. If you show me a pundit that's said otherwise, I'll agree with you.

A lot of people would say he can do a job in the Premier league given service and has more quality than Emile heskey who's got his place in the England squad.

I suppose you're on matches a lot of the time but it gets trotted out pretty much everytime we're on tv and hes fit , which is actually a pretty rare occurence tbf

Andriy Shevchenko £30.8m

Juan Sebastian Veron £28.1m (then £15m)

Adrian Mutu £15.8m

Steve Marlet £11.5m

Sergei Rebrov £11.5m

Chris Sutton £10m

Albert Luque £9.5m

Hugo Viana £8.5m

Jean-Alain Boumsong £8m

At least Owen kept us up the season before last with 8 goals in 11 games. He might have been a let down over 4 years, but some credit is due.

Good riddance. He is massively to blame for his own demise. I'm of the opinion that he never had any real service but then his attitude, for a long time, has been 'put the ball less than 10cm from my feet and I'll score, but, to be in a scoring position, I must be taken by helicopter from the half-way line to get into the box but remember this also, do not deliver me the ball until that nag has ran in the 3.30 at Chepstow as I can't concentrate on the game and if the horse wins wins, i'll think about having a shot at goal otherwise give the ball to someone else. Make sure i'm paid £105,000 per week for doing nothing except pleasing myself and fck you lot over, the fans, who pay my wages, I'm Micky Owen, too good for NUFC, Just be grateful I pulled on your black n' white shirt and delivered fck all in the proceed. Right, where's me copta, I got horse to feed and Dettori is coming over to ride out a couple of nags that I have purchased at the sales, courtesy of NUFC. Fckn hate the twat.

Andriy Shevchenko £30.8m

Juan Sebastian Veron £28.1m (then £15m)

Adrian Mutu £15.8m

Steve Marlet £11.5m

Sergei Rebrov £11.5m

Chris Sutton £10m

Albert Luque £9.5m

Hugo Viana £8.5m

Jean-Alain Boumsong £8m

At least Owen kept us up the season before last with 8 goals in 11 games. He might have been a let down over 4 years, but some credit is due.

You're right, I did exaggerate due to my hatred for the little shit. I think you're a little harsh on Viana though (not to start another debate that's probably been done to death on these boards before I joined).

Geremi seemed to set up a fair few goals for him. I wonder if he had have played instead of that prick, Nolan, would we have faired any better. Geremi is still shit though.

I think you're being a bit hard on Luque ( not to start another debate)

I think you're being a bit hard on Marcelino ( not start another debate)....oh, you forgot about him.

I think....fucking list is endless

id like to know how many chances he hasnt put away for us ??

From December....

the former Liverpool and Real Madrid man is in fact the most deadly striker in the Premier League so far this season - of any nationality.

His six goals so far this campaign have come from just 15 shots, the best ratio in the league. Owen has made 12 appearances this season, four from the bench, and his shooting accuracy of 80% is among the best.

Top 5 Premier League players - Goals to shots ratio (10 or more shots)

Player Club Shots Goals to shots ratio

Michael Owen Newcastle United 15 40.00%

Gabriel Agbonlahor Aston Villa 19 36.84%

Samir Nasri Arsenal 12 33.33%

Mido Middlesbrough 13 30.77%

Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 47 27.66%

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11662_4619769,00.html

OWEN ACCEPTS NEWSPAPER APOLOGY

Posted 03/06/09 11:44

Michael Owen has accepted a public apology and substantial undisclosed damages over "incredulous allegations" his football career was over.

The Newcastle striker was not at London's High Court for the settlement of his libel action over a story in the Daily Express last month.

Owen's solicitor, John Kelly, told Mr Justice Eady the article falsely alleged Premier League clubs did not want to sign him and, as a result of a lack of interest, he was on the verge of retiring from professional football at the end of the season.

Mr Kelly said: "These incredulous allegations are entirely without foundation and were obviously extremely distressing, hurtful and damaging to the claimant."

Ian Helme, counsel for Express Newspapers, who have agreed to pay damages and Owen's legal costs, accepted the allegations were false and without foundation and apologised for the distress, embarrassment and offence caused.

More money in the coffers for the greedy git :D