The other teams transfer window thread

Andrew

Barry to man city confirmed, 12 million

cant believe a man city fan has just been on SSN saying "hes a good player but maybe not good enough"

Big sam picking up another nobody on a free Elrio van Heerden from brugge,

Edited by Andrew

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Liverpool poised to sign Johnson

By Phil McNulty

Liverpool look to have won the race to sign England defender Glen Johnson after agreeing a fee in the region of £17m with Portsmouth.

Reds' boss Rafael Benitez is confident he has beaten off interest from Chelsea in the 24-year-old and expects to make him his first summer signing.

Manchester City had also registered an interest in Johnson, but it is believed Anfield is his preferred destination.

Benitez is now likely to sell Andrea Dossena to help fund the deal.

Johnson, who joined Portsmouth from Chelsea in a £4m deal two years ago, emerged as Benitez's prime target after having an outstanding season at Fratton Park last season.

Benitez is working within financial restrictions in the transfer market this summer, but it is understood Liverpool are still owed money from the deal that took Peter Crouch to Portsmouth last summer.

Spanish defender Alvaro Arbeloa could also be sacrificed to raise cash towards the Johnson deal, with Real Madrid being linked with an £8m move.

He has cemented a place as England's first-choice right-back under coach Fabio Capello and played in the two recent World Cup qualifying victories against Kazakhstan and Andorra.

Johnson signed a new four-year deal at Portsmouth in January, but club officials accepted they could not stand in his way if he was offered the opportunity to move a club playing in the Champions League.

Liverpool poised to sign Johnson

By Phil McNulty

Liverpool look to have won the race to sign England defender Glen Johnson after agreeing a fee in the region of £17m with Portsmouth.

Reds' boss Rafael Benitez is confident he has beaten off interest from Chelsea in the 24-year-old and expects to make him his first summer signing.

Manchester City had also registered an interest in Johnson, but it is believed Anfield is his preferred destination.

Benitez is now likely to sell Andrea Dossena to help fund the deal.

Johnson, who joined Portsmouth from Chelsea in a £4m deal two years ago, emerged as Benitez's prime target after having an outstanding season at Fratton Park last season.

Benitez is working within financial restrictions in the transfer market this summer, but it is understood Liverpool are still owed money from the deal that took Peter Crouch to Portsmouth last summer.

Spanish defender Alvaro Arbeloa could also be sacrificed to raise cash towards the Johnson deal, with Real Madrid being linked with an £8m move.

He has cemented a place as England's first-choice right-back under coach Fabio Capello and played in the two recent World Cup qualifying victories against Kazakhstan and Andorra.

Johnson signed a new four-year deal at Portsmouth in January, but club officials accepted they could not stand in his way if he was offered the opportunity to move a club playing in the Champions League.

I thought Liverpool were on the bones!!

He is one of the best full backs in the league, he isn't the finished article yet but he is still very young and already has plenty of experience.

If one of the big 4, Man City or Spurs paid that sort of money for one of the best young midfielders or strikers in the league no one would bat an eyelid but people see 17 million as being crazy money for a defender for some reason.

£17m for him is crackers....

It is excessive but I still think there'd be no such astonishment if he was a midfielder or striker of similar ability.

Easier to prevent goals than to create / score them. See NUFC © 2009 <_<

It is excessive but I still think there'd be no such astonishment if he was a midfielder or striker of similar ability.

:D @ my need to read that twice before I saw the safety wink and could quash my incredulation.

:D @ my need to read that twice before I saw the safety wink and could quash my incredulation.

Joking aside Fish, it is much easier in general to prevent attacking play than create it. And our biggest problem last season was an inability to score / create chances.