The other teams transfer window thread

Andrew

And our biggest problem last season was an inability to score / create chances.

I'd agree but funnily enough there were only two teams in the bottom nine who scored more than us over the course of the season.

Edit: Though of course we failed to score in 6 of our last 8.

Edited by ewerk

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And our biggest problem last season was an inability to score / create chances.

I'd agree but funnily enough there were only two teams in the bottom nine who scored more than us over the course of the season.

Tells you more about stats than anything else <_<

I think defending a lead was also a problem for us.

Similar problem really though. I.e. more to with the front 6 than the back 4.

In the sense that the midfield often left the back four exposed yeah.

Not just in a defensive sense but also the problem with creating chances, keeping possession, etc. etc. All adds pressure to the back four, which leads to mistakes.

Our problem was always our inability to do anything with the ball. How many of our goals came from good play, and how many of them were as a result of set plays?

We at no point, controlled a game. Even the ones we won quite comfortably, the opposition always had better use of the ball.

Gary Speed used to do it, so did Lee, just seemed to be comfortable and confident on the ball, happy to step past a player and move it (or himself) into space. This season Butt, Nolan were both too keen to be rid of the ball, Smith and Guthrie over-estimated their ability and Barton was in jail.

Our problem was always our inability to do anything with the ball. How many of our goals came from good play, and how many of them were as a result of set plays?

We at no point, controlled a game. Even the ones we won quite comfortably, the opposition always had better use of the ball.

Gary Speed used to do it, so did Lee, just seemed to be comfortable and confident on the ball, happy to step past a player and move it (or himself) into space. This season Butt, Nolan were both too keen to be rid of the ball, Smith and Guthrie over-estimated their ability and Barton was in jail.

Aye, I've discussed this before with ScottishMag, Johnny (and others no doubt). Central midfield is and has been for some time a massive problem for us and that is why we've failed to control matches. How often last season did we play well in little spells without being able to maintain it for anything like 90 minutes? Even against very ordinary sides, let alone quality ones.

Aye, I've discussed this before with ScottishMag, Johnny (and others no doubt). Central midfield is and has been for some time a massive problem for us and that is why we've failed to control matches. How often last season did we play well in little spells without being able to maintain it for anything like 90 minutes? Even against very ordinary sides, let alone quality ones.

Villa at home? I can't remember them threatening much. Could make a case for Boro at home as well though they had their moments. Still depressing like.

Sickeningly it's that area where we had the most bodies, but the least actual talent. How much did we end up spending on those corpses? Nolan, Guthrie, Geremi, Smith and Barton? getting on to £20m isn't it? Two £10m midfielders or one £15m and a wee laddy...

<_<

Villa at home? I can't remember them threatening much. Could make a case for Boro at home as well though they had their moments. Still depressing like.

No, they didn't threaten, but it was a case of "we're shite have the ball, no we're shite you have it back" than any concernted dominance of play, ditto with the smoggies.

Sickeningly it's that area where we had the most bodies, but the least actual talent. How much did we end up spending on those corpses? Nolan, Guthrie, Geremi, Smith and Barton? getting on to £20m isn't it? Two £10m midfielders or one £15m and a wee laddy...

<_<

We only bought Nolan because Barton got injured like. I know what point you're making btw, I was just illustrating the sort of 'thinking' that went into some of the signings. When you look at that lot though, only Barton has a decent engine (even though I think Guthrie is a canny player). And it's a position where getting up and down is so important. Hardly rocket science.

It's that conversation where you start valuing players in the number of points they'd win you/save you. I think we definitely would have saved a point or two with Given, Milner would have got us at least one point and I think Charles would have done the samer...

Barton. I reckon he'd have cost us as many as he credited us. Silly freekicks and penalties and the like.

Liverpool poised to sign Johnson

By Phil McNulty

Liverpool look to have won the race to sign England defender Glen Johnson after agreeing a fee in the region of £17m with Portsmouth.

Reds' boss Rafael Benitez is confident he has beaten off interest from Chelsea in the 24-year-old and expects to make him his first summer signing.

Manchester City had also registered an interest in Johnson, but it is believed Anfield is his preferred destination.

Benitez is now likely to sell Andrea Dossena to help fund the deal.

Johnson, who joined Portsmouth from Chelsea in a £4m deal two years ago, emerged as Benitez's prime target after having an outstanding season at Fratton Park last season.

Benitez is working within financial restrictions in the transfer market this summer, but it is understood Liverpool are still owed money from the deal that took Peter Crouch to Portsmouth last summer.

Spanish defender Alvaro Arbeloa could also be sacrificed to raise cash towards the Johnson deal, with Real Madrid being linked with an £8m move.

He has cemented a place as England's first-choice right-back under coach Fabio Capello and played in the two recent World Cup qualifying victories against Kazakhstan and Andorra.

Johnson signed a new four-year deal at Portsmouth in January, but club officials accepted they could not stand in his way if he was offered the opportunity to move a club playing in the Champions League.

I thought Liverpool were on the bones!!

how much is still owed on the crouch transfer???

Glad Santa Cruz has finally gone. His constant whining on the radio in Paraguay about wanting a move and then saying it was a mistranslation was most tiresome. £17-18m is a good fee.

Oh and Denilson, once the world's most expensive player has left his team Haioping Concrete of Vietnam after 3 weeks at the club.