The other teams transfer window thread

Andrew

Waste of money considering they've got Young and Milner who also did a better job.

thats just it, I can only see him on the bench since he'd be battling Young who is one of the best wingers in the league

Unless they're thinking of putting Young right wing, or up front... but that also seems unlikely.

£12m for a sub winger seems a bit odd though.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waste of money considering they've got Young and Milner who also did a better job.

thats just it, I can only see him on the bench since he'd be battling Young who is one of the best wingers in the league

It was clear last year that Young had to play too many games, I guess that is why they have made this move.

It was clear last year that Young had to play too many games, I guess that is why they have made this move.

Aye, but you can buy a £6m prospect to plug the gaps when Young is tired, or you want to rest him ahead of a big game... but £12m on a 24yr old one-trick-pony seems ludicrous.

Aye, but you can buy a £6m prospect to plug the gaps when Young is tired, or you want to rest him ahead of a big game... but £12m on a 24yr old one-trick-pony seems ludicrous.

I was just about to say exactly the same thing

It's cause neither of you understand football.

I'm not in the least bit bothered that Villa are signing him - it takes Downing out of our league which can only be good for us.

On the plus side, Spurs have missed out on yet another player they were absolutely convinced would leave their current club for them! :icon_lol:

you reckon its a good move for them then?

you reckon its a good move for them then?

Totally.

He's English, young, broken into the national team and 3 years down the line his re-sale value will be double that if he continues to improve or at least they'll get their money back + 20/30%. Although not as good as Young he is comparative to him in pace and crossing ability. When you change a team around you want to do it with as little impact on style as possible, also he'll be a little bit of competition for Young which is preferable to having a stop gap type. MON will want to compete in all the competitions next year without the handicap of an unbalanced small squad.

i think downing is a good signing, also they can play milner through the middle, young on the right, and downing on the left gives mon a bit of scope to change things around. i agree it is too much money but that is the English player tax.

Totally.

He's English, young, broken into the national team and 3 years down the line his re-sale value will be double that if he continues to improve or at least they'll get their money back + 20/30%. Although not as good as Young he is comparative to him in pace and crossing ability. When you change a team around you want to do it with as little impact on style as possible, also he'll be a little bit of competition for Young which is preferable to having a stop gap type. MON will want to compete in all the competitions next year without the handicap of an unbalanced small squad.

I think Ashley Young is on his way somewhere.....Most members of the alleged "big 4" (and Villa for that matter) have been or will potentially be directly weakened in some respects by Man City's spending and could use him, if they rate him as highly as many seem to. I'm not so sure about him, nor Abonglahor for that matter.

Totally.

I think Ashley Young is on his way somewhere.....Most members of the alleged "big 4" (and Villa for that matter) have been or will potentially be directly weakened in some respects by Man City's spending and could use him, if they rate him as highly as many seem to. I'm not so sure about him, nor Abonglahor for that matter.

MON wants 36m for Young. So we'll see.

Totally.

He's English, young, broken into the national team

Steve Stone "broke into the national team"

and 3 years down the line his re-sale value will be double that if he continues to improve or at least they'll get their money back + 20/30%.
That's supposition and I don't buy it. I think if anything his value will only go down.

Although not as good as Young he is comparative to him in pace
:icon_lol: is he bollocks, Young is one of the fastest in the Premiership, Downing cannot come close to comparison.

When you change a team around you want to do it with as little impact on style as possible, also he'll be a little bit of competition for Young which is preferable to having a stop gap type.

I honestly believe it's better to have a 19yr old pushing the established winger, than a 24yr old who will not want to be sitting on the bench 90% of the season.

MON will want to compete in all the competitions next year without the handicap of an unbalanced small squad.
this is fair enough, but he could acheive this with a younger player.

I simply cannot believe Hull are set to pay almost 6 million for Zamora apparently....bizarrely the Hull fans seem to be happy about signing a striker that scored 2 in 35 games for Fulham last season!

That money could buy a dozen random foreign strikers, at least 2 or 3 would have to be as good if not better than Zamora. It just goes to show how small minded managers can be at times not looking outside the EPL. I'd rather have Leroy Lita than Zamora and he's on a free!

Edited by TicTacWoe

Fucking hell, Crouch's best ever premier league return is 12 goals when he was at Southampton!

I still consider him a good player like.

Totally.

He's English, young, broken into the national team

Steve Stone "broke into the national team"

and 3 years down the line his re-sale value will be double that if he continues to improve or at least they'll get their money back + 20/30%.
That's supposition and I don't buy it. I think if anything his value will only go down.

Although not as good as Young he is comparative to him in pace
:icon_lol: is he bollocks, Young is one of the fastest in the Premiership, Downing cannot come close to comparison.

When you change a team around you want to do it with as little impact on style as possible, also he'll be a little bit of competition for Young which is preferable to having a stop gap type.

I honestly believe it's better to have a 19yr old pushing the established winger, than a 24yr old who will not want to be sitting on the bench 90% of the season.

MON will want to compete in all the competitions next year without the handicap of an unbalanced small squad.
this is fair enough, but he could acheive this with a younger player.

"Comparative".

Villa will want to play 2 wingers man.

Phew, missed a big bullet with Zamora apparently going to Hull. He is almost as bad as Shola. I dread that it is only the Zamora end of the market that we can afford.

When the ball hits the head of the maaaaaan in row Z... that's Zammoooooorrraaa....

"Comparative".
well then I have comparative pace to Young. :icon_lol:

Villa will want to play 2 wingers man.
...right, so why have a £12m man on the bench while Young and Milner play down the wings?

Phew, missed a big bullet with Zamora apparently going to Hull. He is almost as bad as Shola. I dread that it is only the Zamora end of the market that we can afford.

When the ball hits the head of the maaaaaan in row Z... that's Zammoooooorrraaa....

:icon_lol:

Guest TheNewinsider
Fucking hell, Crouch's best ever premier league return is 12 goals when he was at Southampton!

I still consider him a good player like.

He's shit.

so he wouldn't get in ahead of Caroll, Ameobi and Xisco then?