Allardyce hopes to capture £2.5m Smith as Newcastle look to slash wages

Craig

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce is close to sealing a £2.5million deal for Newcastle striker Alan Smith.

Allardyce, who has rejected a £2m offer from Olympiakos for Matt Derbyshire, has been targeting the ex-England man since he took over at Ewood Park.

Newcastle are desperate to offload Smith following their relegation and may help contribute to his £60,000-a-week wages.

Smith failed to make an impact despite being bought from Manchester United for £5m.

Allardyce is convinced the one-time England front man could be a bargain priced replacement for the departing Roque Santa Cruz.

Derbyshire, meanwhile, wants to return to Olympiakos but Rovers have demanded closer to £5m for the 23-year-old.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...s.html?ITO=1490

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not keen on this concept of paying players wages to move them on, just move the fee accordingly and get it consigned to the past. It will be very hard to clear out the club if the payments linger over us, even though it might be slightly cheaper in terms of hard cash.

Would of hoped for a bit more than 2.5m but i guess if it offloads the wages then you can't say no.

I'd be amazed getting 2.5m for him tbh. He's been nothing but an unqualified flop since he arrived. I'd go along with Matt and even reduce the fee to just completely get him off the wage bill.

Stuff contributing to his bloody wages, that's what happened at Leeds and see where it got them - Fat Sam can take him as he is, useless fat prick.

if you'll notice how the story is written by "sportsmail reporter" and how no reporter attatches his name to this bollocks then you'll realise its lazy journalism of the highest order..............allardyce is under strict orders to knock 5m off the wages and reduce the squad size so a washed up crock and overpaid leech from the championship is really not a go'er :icon_lol:

Would of hoped for a bit more than 2.5m but i guess if it offloads the wages then you can't say no.

I agree - I thought we'd have to pay them at least £ 5 million to get shot of the useless creep

if you'll notice how the story is written by "sportsmail reporter" and how no reporter attatches his name to this bollocks then you'll realise its lazy journalism of the highest order..............allardyce is under strict orders to knock 5m off the wages and reduce the squad size so a washed up crock and overpaid leech from the championship is really not a go'er :icon_lol:

Not being funny but it's his standard operating practise. Sign shit, play shit, be shit.

in all seriousness, don't expect marquee signings mate, you'll get clogger after clogger. No benefit in selling him and contributing to his wage. I'd rather we sold him for £1m instead of paying anything towards his upkeep.

The profit from anyone we sell before a takeover is going straight into Ashleys pocket to offset the losses he has made

No, the cash from any sale will be going straight to plugging the financial black hole that is the wage bill.

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce is close to sealing a £2.5million deal for Newcastle striker Alan Smith.

Allardyce, who has rejected a £2m offer from Olympiakos for Matt Derbyshire, has been targeting the ex-England man since he took over at Ewood Park.

Newcastle are desperate to offload Smith following their relegation and may help contribute to his £60,000-a-week wages.

Smith failed to make an impact despite being bought from Manchester United for £5m.

Allardyce is convinced the one-time England front man could be a bargain priced replacement for the departing Roque Santa Cruz.

Derbyshire, meanwhile, wants to return to Olympiakos but Rovers have demanded closer to £5m for the 23-year-old.

wheres me backpack. i'll carry the injury prone fucka down there. he'll never make it on his own :icon_lol:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

I think I'll believe it when he gets injured holding up a Rovers scarf at Ewood Park. Our last manager may have been tempted but I just don't see it happening now.

You seem a good lad and i bear no ill will to you but fuckin hell man - he is gonna knacker your team

I think I'll believe it when he gets injured holding up a Rovers scarf at Ewood Park. Our last manager may have been tempted but I just don't see it happening now.

Perfect TCA signing. Expect a starting 11 of them.

You seem a good lad and i bear no ill will to you but fuckin hell man - he is gonna knacker your team

:icon_lol: Like he knackered Bolton right?

I bear no ill will to any of you - but fuck me there's plenty on here who know fuck all about football.

Oh, and this is highly unlikely to happen. Thankfully.

Edited by bigchrissamba

:icon_lol: Like he knackered Bolton right?

I bear no ill will to any of you - but fuck me there's plenty on here who know fuck all about football.

Oh, and this is highly unlikely to happen. Thankfully.

:icon_lol: So you think Bolton were a great team to pay money to watch then? Fuck that shit, they were shockingly boring to watch. He continued that with us by buying shite like Smith he'll do the same to you lot it's his style boring wank long ball football.