Consortium in £90m bid to buy Newcastle and keep Shearer as boss

Jimbo

A consortium made up of wealthy local businessmen, and backed by Middle East investors, has asked for due diligence on Newcastle United, and they are hoping to put together a £90 million package to buy out Mike Ashley.

The group, who have already spoken to Alan Shearer, wants the former captain as their manager and are prepared to meet his £3million-a-year wage demands.

Shearer has gone to Portugal for a short break. He still wants to be manager despite not hearing back from owner Ashley yesterday as expected.

The former England striker had hoped that yesterday would bring news from Ashley that the banks had agreed to the necessary funding to enable the owner to appoint him as manager— even though the club is up for sale.

Sportsmail understands the hold up is due to delays in the buy-out and Ashley’s reluctance to hand over control at a cut price after failing to secure a £300 million

sale last year. Yesterday’s deadline passed without any update and, even when Shearer returns on Monday, there may still be no news.

Any frustration Shearer is experiencing is being well-hidden but if another week drags by then the 38-year-old is bound to be concerned at the delays.

Meanwhile, Jose Enrique is set to leave Newcastle and join Atletico Madrid during the summer. Enrique said he was happy to stay at St James’ Park despite seeing

the club suffer relegation from the Barclays Premier League last season.

The Spanish defender still has three-years left on his deal, but Atletico are set to make a £4m offer as they seek a replacement for Mariano Pernia, who is set to leave the club.

Enrique, 23, was a regular in the Newcastle team last season, but will be tempted to play top flight football next season and is poised to make a move back to Spain.

Would you prefer a local consortium with modest funds or an oil-rich sheik with no connection to the club or area?

seems like we'd be getting both with this story, local business men with middleeast backing, sounds a little too good to be true

Would you prefer a local consortium with modest funds or an oil-rich sheik with no connection to the club or area?

To be honest a lot of this Oil Shiek shite is pie in the sky fluke for clubs. It's pure luck and one of the things that's depressing about modern football.

Man City, Portsmouth and Chelsea are all loaded out of their arse and that will show on the pitch.

For now I would like a local consortium with decent funds that could give us stability and consistency (something to go and watch and be proud of after all this shite), some day all this mega money football will die down and the clubs in question may have trophies but I'm not sure what the owners will do with the toy when they are finished playing.

Cheers guys, bloody typical it's raining where I am but only lightly and they reckon it'll be gone by the time the wedding kicks off! I've told someone to keep me up-to-date with the England scores, I can live with missing an International - if we'd been playing the wedding would have been on a different day ;)

Looking forward to the honeymoon, lol :lol:

I'm getting married in 14hrs(ish), :lol:

They say marriage is an Institution. They say crazy folk are put in an Institution.

So you've been committed eh? ;)

If Ashley did sell to whatever consortium or individual, would there be such a great need to appoint Shearer?......in some ways,Shearer only works in the context of Ashley staying on as owner e.g. unifying the fans behind the club instead of half of us wanting fatty's head on a spike and saying so loudly at home games etc....is there a better candidate for manager out there if Ashley gets a quick sale? :lol:

Hmmm - no quotes from anyone, I'll take this one with the same pinch of salt I've taken those other rumours.

£4m for Enrique would be good money mind.

I'm getting married in 14hrs(ish), :lol:

They say marriage is an Institution. They say crazy folk are put in an Institution.

So you've been committed eh? ;)

Aye, that'll be right ;)

And thanks Canofbeans, I'll need it! Lol.

The Mirror:

Shearer still waits for nod

By Simon Bird 6/06/2009

Alan Shearer will not walk away from the chance of rescuing Newcastle United - despite another week of behind-the-scenes crisis meetings.

A group of North-East businessmen, backed by Middle Eastern money, have met owner Mike Ashley and are preparing a £90million bid.

They have asked to carry out due diligence, a process where the books are examined ahead of a buy-out, and hope to be able to appoint Shearer as their boss.

Yep, can but hope that it's true - I'm getting married in 14hrs(ish), it'd be a great wedding present ;)

good luck :lol: