2-3 interested buyers

mikey the eagle

just heard this interview on 5live, seemed like the guy was trying to sell us on air! "the training ground, stadium, top 7 club" same old same old.

On the plus side i'd love it if the banks don't extend the scouse loans!!

In fairness to Harris, it was Gary Richardson who asked "How many buyers are in the running, is it about 2-3?" to which Harris replied "yes, that's a good guess." It wasn't Harris who came up with 2-3

Why is everyone having a go at Harris. He came across to me as a competent articulate person doing a professional job answering the media's questions as openly and honestly as he could in his position acting as an agent for another party. Far better than anything we've ever got from NUFC since Mort left.

Even if we do get ourselves a new board by the end of June, the damage has already been done as the pre-season is on hold until this is sorted. We cant sign any players until then, and I reckon players wont want to be waiting to find out whats going to happen, even if they are interested in moving to us.

But on the flip side the sale might also stop our better players from leaving.

You think?

More chance of Cuntley taking that extra opportunity to pocket some more transfer fees.

I fucking hate the man.

Top fucking 7 club? Our facilities are on par with the very best, cheeky bastard :lol:

What the fuck are you doing on here - you should be conkers deep ;)

I could well be proved wrong and i hope to god i am but this all seems like groundhog day - Ashley cries to the media that he is selling up after giving Shearer a bit of lipservice for the sake of the fans, has no intention of putting him as manager then tells this cunt Harris to wheel out the same shit as last time and i will wager fairly soon noises will be heard about how it can't be sold and he is staying on and hey presto Joe's back and we are proper fucked - this harris is the same bloke who reckoned there were american buyers who were all for it then coincidentally got stung by that Madoff bloke - what are the chances? fuckin bollocks i could have come up with that fairy tale but i wouldn't have thought anyone would have beleived it

2-3, does he fucking know or not ??

Exactly

First thing that crossed my mind. Is it two or fucking three? Idiot.

BBC

Newcastle 'confident' of takeover

Newcastle expect a deal to sell the club will be completed by the end of June, according to the man responsible for brokering the arrangement.

Keith Harris, chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, also revealed there were "two or three" rival parties vying to buy the club.

"I'm confident there will be offers to consider in quite short order," Harris told Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"It's a decent guess that there are two or three interested parties."

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, who bought the Magpies in 2007, first put the club up for sale in September 2008, having invested £250m.

He [shearer] is a good commercial addition, certainly in terms of generating interest among the fans

Keith Harris

Ashley has presided over a disastrous period in the club's history, culminating in relegation from the Premier League on the final day of the 2008/09 season, and he has become deeply unpopular with fans.

Ashley briefly took the club off the market in December after struggling to sell, but Harris claims the club is now much more attractive to prospective buyers - at least some of whom he suggested were based in the United Kingdom.

"There is real and decent interest, and this is not necessarily from far-flung parts of the globe," he said.

"Newcastle had an awful season and got relegated so that has an implication for the value of an asset of a decrease to make it more attractive."

Newspaper reports on Sunday suggested that former chairman Freddy Shepherd was looking to repurchase the club but Harris stated that he would only find out the identity of the bidders next week.

There has also been much speculation about the future of manager Alan Shearer, with suggestions that he was not Ashley's first choice for the role.

However, Harris stated that Shearer could be a valuable asset to any prospective new owner.

"Shearer is obviously a very charismatic figure in the area and Newcastle need some local interest," said Harris. "He is a good commercial addition, certainly in terms of generating interest among the fans.

"Whether he is the right man to lead the club back into the Premier League is something other people will express a view on, especially if there is going to be a change of ownership."

In May, Ashley apologised to fans for his part in the mistakes that ultimately led to relegation.

The decline began with the departure of popular boss Kevin Keegan in September, amid rumours of disputes over the club's transfer policy.

Keegan's exit prompted mass protests from supporters with fans demanding Ashley - as well as controversial director Dennis Wise - quit St James' Park.

Ashley then appointed Joe Kinnear as manager but he soon had to stand down from his position because of health problems leading to assistant Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood taking charge of team.

As results continued to worsen, Newcastle turned to Magpies legend Shearer to turn things around but they won just one of his eight games and were relegated.

However, Harris believes that any buyer with a long-term vision for the club could be richly rewarded.

"It is a huge club," he said. "In attendance terms, last year it exceeded Liverpool with an average attendance over 48,000.

"If you walk around the infrastructure of the ground, the training ground, the academy, what you realise is for somebody willing to take a view over two or three years this is a club that belongs in the top seven of the Premier League. It's very attractive."

Keith Harris has just been on Radio 5.

There are 2-3 interested buyers some from "near to home". He expects then to submit their bids by the end of the week and the sale to be complete by the end of June.

We've heard it all before...

Another N-O classic was that I was called an idiot for calling Harris a lying Ashley stooge - something along the lines of "respectable banker" according to LLO I think .