Setanta up shit creek

Happy Face

Sounds like they are fucked, Setanta have failed to make payment to the Premier League and have lost their games package

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours this morning that Sky are buying up their stake. Doesn't that leave them monopolising the TV rights once again, the very scenario which was to be avoided which is why Setanta won the contract in the first place?

Rumours this morning that Sky are buying up their stake. Doesn't that leave them monopolising the TV rights once again, the very scenario which was to be avoided which is why Setanta won the contract in the first place?

Only 23 of the 46 games. They arent allow to have rights to every game

Only 23 of the 46 games. They arent allow to have rights to every game

Would the PL go for that? A single package of 23 games is pretty useless unless they're sold on PPV basis or one of the terrestrial broadcasters go in with a silly bid.

Sky is buying the 23 monday night games. The other 23 would all be another another time slot id imagine. Im sure one of the freeview channels would love them!

Rumour has it ESPN are buying them though so im not sure what channel it would go on

Who's interested in the prem anyhoo?

The championship is where it's at these days :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Quite, I didn't give a fuck about it last season beyond what impacted on us (and my bet on Man Utd).

I got an email from them last night accepting my cancellation but trying to change my mind with some deals. Funny thing was that along with shite I have less than zero interest in like rugby and boxing they referred to "top flight football" - I suppose they mean the SPL and the Jorman/French leagues but I can't imagine them surviving on that.

The championship is where it's at these days :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Wonder how many subscriptions to PPV channels have been cancelled since we got relegated.

Call me deluded, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than any other close season drop off. Especially now that the championship is on BBC.

The championship is where it's at these days :icon_lol::icon_lol:

We've won a place in this years Championship, which is clearly more prestigious than the Premiership, because people refer to winners as Champions, not Premiers.

My logic is flawless. :icon_lol:

Edited by The Fish

They've lost the SPL rights too:

The Scottish Premier League has confirmed that it is 'actively engaging' in a process of selling its broadcasting rights after Setanta failed to make an outstanding payment of £3m.

SPL executive chairman Lex Gold said: 'Setanta has been unable to meet our extended deadline for the outstanding £3m payment to the SPL and, in terms of the notice previously issued, our British broadcasting rights for season 2009/10 and beyond revert to us.'

Mr Gold said the league had wanted to work with Setanta and the broadcaster was given every possible chance, but today was the final deadline.

Setanta Sports management are meeting in London to decide the way forward for the troubled broadcaster.

It has already lost the contract for 46 English Premier League football matches after failing to make a scheduled £10m payment to the English Premier League.

It now faces the prospect of administration.

Setanta's problems stem from having paid too much for broadcasting rights compared to the revenue it was able to generate from viewer subscriptions.

If administration is to be avoided, much rests on the next move by Access Industries, operated by Leo Blavatnik.

Access had been in talks to take a majority stake in Setanta, but needed more time to look through the books than last Friday's deadline to the English Premiership allowed.

If Access were to successfully bid for the rights for the 46 games, then Setanta may well be saved for the time being.

But it will face competition from Sky and ESPN.

The prospects for the Irish arm of Setanta look more optimistic.

There is speculation music promoter Denis Desmond, who already owns 20%, may seek to buy the business in Ireland outright.

Setanta's website is still taking new subscriptions.

ESPN have won the rights to all 46 games and are showing them via . . . . . . BSkyB :icon_lol:

Surely such a thinly veiled move by Sky to get around the monopoly rules will be sussed!

Doesn't that just mean we'll be able to see them via satellite rather than actually on Sky Sports?