Setanta up shit creek

Happy Face

The board of football broadcaster Setanta is meeting a week after the company failed to pay the Scottish Premier League (SPL) £3m.

The SPL has found £3m to distribute to the 12 member clubs from its own funds to tide them over.

Setanta also has a much larger outstanding payment due to the Premier League in England - about £40m.

Unless backers agree to supply more cash, Setanta is thought certain to be forced to call in administrators.

The company was due to make the final payment of the season on Monday 1 June for its Scottish football match coverage.

Last week the SPL held two board meetings before deciding to find £3m themselves to support the 12 Scottish premier league clubs.

Unable to pay £3m in Scotland, Setanta face much bigger financial hurdles later this month, when a £40m payment to the Premier League falls due.

The broadcaster showed England's world cup qualifier on Saturday, but that may be the last time Setanta is involved.

A shared deal with ITV saw them secure rights for England and FA Cup matches for £425m.

Scottish options

One option for the SPL would be to terminate the contract with Setanta, but such a move would leave the SPL forced to find another broadcasting partner.

Their weakened position would mean a reduced financial deal.

Setanta first won the rights to broadcast live SPL matches in competition with previous rights holder BBC Scotland in 2004.

However, it is unlikely that a free-to-air terrestrial broadcaster could now come close to matching the kind of money offered by Setanta for live coverage of Scotland's top-flight.

BBC Scotland has been broadcasting SPL match highlights on television and the internet while looking to buy up rights to live matches involving Scottish clubs in European competitions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8088875.stm

Looks like Sky will be able to drive down the price on the next tv deal.

Now all we need is Man U and Liverpools banks to start getting twitchy and it could be game on.

:lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only got themselves to blame. People have been fucking off in droves thanks to shit signals and awful customer service. Just have to google them to see the problems people have been having.

Agreed.

As much as I dislike Sky having the monopoly on football coverage at least they provide a decent service.

I avoided ever signing up with Setanta, from what I read it sounded like ending your subscription with them was an absolute joke. You had to write to them giving them 30 days notice, (couldn't cancel over the phone or email) they'd deny your letter had reached them so you'd have to send it recorded delivery but time it is so you didn't end your subscription early, ridiculous.

Good riddiance. Possibly the worst service I've had to endure; signals going tits-up and awful coverage.

Hahaha fuck off Burley you little cunt!

Always prefered Sky personally even though Andy Gray does my tits in, but better HD Quality and better match coverage imo

Without a doubt, Burley worst, hate the cunt. Setanta's coverage seems tacky and cheap, might cancel my subscription just in spite!

Bad Craic if, like me, you like non league football and UFC. Apparently they have 1.2million subscribers when they need 1.9million to stay afloat

1,200,001 now, I took out BT broadband and telly last week and they gave me a free years worth of Setanta, all I had to pay was a tenner for the card. Im starting to think that the tenner wasnt really worth it seeing as how the TV isnt connected until next Tuesday! :aye:

I rang them last week to cancel and was told to put it in an email which I did - the lass told me another month's payment would go out on the 25th as you need to give 30 dys notice according to their terms. I told her I would be cancelling the DD as I wasn't going to pay for something I had no intention of using.

She told me they would telephone me repeatedly to ask for the outstanding payment but I told her I never answer the phone "live" and anyway they would be bust before the end of the month which seemed to be news to her. Then again I had detected a Mackem twang to her accent and a subtle mocking when I told her why I was cancelling (relegation) - this diluted my slight guilt at being nasty.

• 2 weeks later...

I phoned up with the intention of re-negotiating, threatened to cancel and was offered a £9.99 a month deal to stay. Tied in for 12 months but it's win-win, if they go under it'll be cancelled and and if they do survive I've saved myself a bit of wedge.

I phoned up with the intention of re-negotiating, threatened to cancel and was offered a £9.99 a month deal to stay. Tied in for 12 months but it's win-win, if they go under it'll be cancelled and and if they do survive I've saved myself a bit of wedge.

You've been merked. I was told someone got them down to £3.99 a month :scratchchin:

You've been merked. I was told someone got them down to £3.99 a month :scratchchin:

:razz: