SS for the win.

Park Life

Alan Shearer meets Freddy Shepherd as the former chairman plots return

• Ashley's predecessor has to prove he has the required £100m

• Shearer promised manager's job should takeover succeed

Simon Williams

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 June 2009 22.00 BST

Article history

The former chairman wants to regain the position he was forced to leave after the Hall family sold its majority stake in Newcastle in 2007. Photograph: John Walton/Empics

Alan Shearer has met Freddy Shepherd to discuss what will happen should the former Newcastle United chairman succeed in buying the club back from Mike Ashley. Shepherd has been desperate to regain control at St James' Park ever since he was ousted by Ashley when the sports retailer secretly purchased Sir John Hall's majority shareholding two years ago.

And his interest is serious enough for Shearer to have met him this week should he declare an intention to buy the club. Several groups are in talks with the man in charge of the sale, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, Keith Harris, and Shepherd's is one of them. In common with most of the prospective buyers – reports have also claimed interest from Oman and South Africa – Shepherd has guaranteed Shearer will be named manager as soon as a takeover is complete.

That would suit Shearer, although he has not given up hope he will be appointed by Ashley before the sale has been completed so that he can start to plan for life in the Championship.

This is where my money is. :aye:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go on record to say that the Profitable Group look like a bunch of cunts.

If it's a choice between FFS's Backpocket Group and the Profitable Group.... I think they sure just nuke the club now - quick and painless. :aye:

I will go on record to say that the Profitable Group look like a bunch of cunts.

If it's a choice between FFS's Backpocket Group and the Profitable Group.... I think they sure just nuke the club now - quick and painless. :aye:

With AS on board I think he will be more tempered this time.

If we can repeat finishing 2nd and getting to the 2nd group stage in the champions league then bring it on!!!!

Aye tbh this Profitable group looks a pile of shit plus like has already been said their name isn't very encouraging. At least we know what Sheppard is like and he is willing to spend, maybe he's even learnt from his 1st stint and wont plunge us into debt again.

If we can repeat finishing 2nd and getting to the 2nd group stage in the champions league then bring it on!!!!

Aye tbh this Profitable group looks a pile of shit plus like has already been said their name isn't very encouraging. At least we know what Sheppard is like and he is willing to spend, maybe he's even learnt from his 1st stint and wont plunge us into debt again.

His backers are the key

At least we know what Sheppard is like and he is willing to spend, maybe he's even learnt from his 1st stint and wont plunge us into debt again.

How do you suggest he spends then?

Of course it's to do with him I'm saying I'd rather have him and his consortium here over Profitable group, he'll encourage them to spend money and buy players and he knows the club and the region.

Of course it's to do with him I'm saying I'd rather have him and his consortium here over Profitable group, he'll encourage them to spend money and buy players and he knows the club and the region.

What if the profitable group want to employ Shepherd to run the gaff?

What if the profitable group want to employ Shepherd to run the gaff?

They've got little money and I'm pretty sure can't really buy the club or take it forward.

And if his backers don't have the money to spend?

We know fuck all about the Profitable Group's resources and intentions. We know fuck all about any potential bidders' resources and intentions. To say that you'd prefer Shepherd's bid to another is based on fuck all.

How is it based on fuck all? he's been here before, we know what he's like, we know how he reacts to situations, we know he loves the club. We know him and his backers will be able to afford to buy the club, like Parky says we can't say the same about this profitable group. The problem first time round was paying too much for players and giving to much in wages while not maintaining a high enough position to keep up the profits, this time round he may have calmed down his ambition or at least lengthened the time he wants to take to build the squad.

And if his backers don't have the money to spend?

We know fuck all about the Profitable Group's resources and intentions. We know fuck all about any potential bidders' resources and intentions. To say that you'd prefer Shepherd's bid to another is based on fuck all.

Abso-bloody-exactly!

Has nobody learned anything from the jubilation when Ashley took over.

I've learned to be as dubious and about ANY buyer as I'd be about my daughters new boyfriend. He could be nice as pie, he's still going to get the stink-eye from me until he's put a ring on her finger.

How is it based on fuck all? he's been here before, we know what he's like, we know how he reacts to situations, we know he loves the club. We know him and his backers will be able to afford to buy the club, like Parky says we can't say the same about this profitable group. The problem first time round was paying too much for players and giving to much in wages while not maintaining a high enough position to keep up the profits, this time round he may have calmed down his ambition or at least lengthened the time he wants to take to build the squad.

..and we hated him....right? :aye:

he's been here before, we know what he's like, we know how he reacts to situations, we know he loves the club.

When he was here before as Chairman, what exactly did he do that impressed you so much?

We know him and his backers will be able to afford to buy the club.

How do 'we' know that?

The problem first time round was paying too much for players and giving to much in wages while not maintaining a high enough position to keep up the profits, this time round he may have calmed down his ambition or at least lengthened the time he wants to take to build the squad.

That's certainly based on fuck all.

Edited by ewerk