Martins legit wants to stay

JonTheMag

Obafemi Martins has revealed that he would be willing to lead Newcastle's promotion push next season.

The Nigeria international had been expected to be among those heading for the exit this summer following the Magpies' relegation into the Championship.

However, he insists that helping the club bounce back into the top flight at the first time of asking remains his priority.

A hefty salary and mounting interest away from St James' Park could yet see him offloaded but, for now, Martins is planning for life in the second tier.

"I hope I am not sold," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"If the club decides to sell me I have no choice but to go. But my aim is to stay and help get Newcastle promoted next season.

"I love living in Newcastle and there are few better places to live and play.

"I know the club is for sale and that is hard for the fans. Yet I hear there could be some light at the end of the tunnel eventually."

Martins has recently been in Italy for treatment on a niggling groin problem, but insists he will be ready to head back to Tyneside in time for pre-season.

He added: "I have been in Italy for treatment lately.

"There I spoke to a lot of people about Juventus and their demotion to Serie B (in 2006).

"Back then, they still kept very, very good players such as Pavel Nedved, Alessandro Del Piero and Gianluigi Buffon. That helped them get promoted, so I can take a lot of solace from that."

SSN

I think keeping Martins would be very helpful to staying up, I'd take him over Shola any day. If he stays, and stays healthy, I think he could get somewhere around 20 goals.

In other words, My agent has touted me about and nee one wants me so I may as well keep pocketing £90k pw and not even have to move house.

I love how whenever anyone wants to stay (probably for the motives above) their suspected wage suddenly doubles

Obafemi Martins has revealed that he would be willing to lead Newcastle's promotion push next season.

The Nigeria international had been expected to be among those heading for the exit this summer following the Magpies' relegation into the Championship.

However, he insists that helping the club bounce back into the top flight at the first time of asking remains his priority.

A hefty salary and mounting interest away from St James' Park could yet see him offloaded but, for now, Martins is planning for life in the second tier.

"I hope I am not sold," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"If the club decides to sell me I have no choice but to go. But my aim is to stay and help get Newcastle promoted next season.

"I love living in Newcastle and there are few better places to live and play.

"I know the club is for sale and that is hard for the fans. Yet I hear there could be some light at the end of the tunnel eventually."

Martins has recently been in Italy for treatment on a niggling groin problem, but insists he will be ready to head back to Tyneside in time for pre-season.

He added: "I have been in Italy for treatment lately.

"There I spoke to a lot of people about Juventus and their demotion to Serie B (in 2006).

"Back then, they still kept very, very good players such as Pavel Nedved, Alessandro Del Piero and Gianluigi Buffon. That helped them get promoted, so I can take a lot of solace from that."

SSN

I think keeping Martins would be very helpful to staying up, I'd take him over Shola any day. If he stays, and stays healthy, I think he could get somewhere around 20 goals.

B) play, as in football or as in play out with the lads on the piss??

Funny how the fire sale hasn't yet caught alight........

Company tasked with flogging all our players have been told to stop as two bids are in the offing according to a bloke who works for them.

he's done alright for us considering he was £10m...

I'm a fan of Martin's as much as I tend to be unnecessarily sycophantic of most of our players but that's a pile of shite.

Hope he stays

<3 Oba

hes a lot better than we can get, and he's done alright for us considering he was £10m...

missed some sitters but he did get some crucial goals as well

Are you literally blind? I mean seriously, do you fucking own a pair of eyes?

Btw Martins took the piss more than anyone by training when he liked and so on before Shearer arrived. Food for thought for the Martins lovers out there who buy his rhetoric about his feelings for the club. Hope the cunt snaps his leg when he inevitably moves on.

Hope he stays

<3 Oba

hes a lot better than we can get, and he's done alright for us considering he was £10m...

missed some sitters but he did get some crucial goals as well

Are you literally blind? I mean seriously, do you fucking own a pair of eyes?

B)

Btw Martins took the piss more than anyone by training when he liked and so on before Shearer arrived. Food for thought for the Martins lovers out there who buy his rhetoric about his feelings for the club. Hope the cunt snaps his leg when he inevitably moves on.

Get rid.

Well he did have to spend 1/2 time dodging shoot outs and kidnap attempts. B)

Wonder if theres a chance of even breaking double figures in the championship.

Reasons to sell:

1. He is always injured.

2. He is extremely inconsistent.

3. He rarely hits the target.

4. He costs most likely between 60 and 90k a week.

5. Could potentially bring in 5-7 million in transfer money.

Reasons to keep:

1. Loves the toon.

2. Usually gives his all for the reason above.

3. Is the best striker we currently have.

4. COULD be better in the championship.

Would he take a paycut? If he would i would most likely keep him due to lack of a better option.

I'd be swaying more towards not keeping him though.

Edited by Bassong Almighty!