Newcastle owner Mike Ashley shelves plans for statue of Alan Shearer

Scottish Mag

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the fuck doesn't he just come out and say, 'Fuck it, I'm off back to the BBC' ? He's been fucked about something rotten, and surely most of us would have lost patience by now and walked away from this shambles that is NUFC, especially if we had a job on easy street with a good salary lined up for the next ten years. It may be the club he loves etc etc, but he must have had enough by now?

Unless...UNLESS....he does know something and is expecting a sale soon? The thing is, he's remaining remarkably quiet at present. It's not what he is saying, it's what he isn't saying!! <_<

Maybe because he really wants to be manager and is waiting for new owners?

Rob Lee was on talksport before and mentioned we have/had 11 players on £50k+ per week. One can only assume he heard this direct from the horses mouth and finally confirms the rumours.

assumptions start rumours not confirm them.

Rob Lee was on talksport before and mentioned we have/had 11 players on £50k+ per week. One can only assume he heard this direct from the horses mouth and finally confirms the rumours.

it sounds about right.

anyone else not think shearer keeping quiet over his situation is a good thing and strengthens his position? If he was making noises of how he desperately wants to manage us, then his position right now wouldn't be so strong.

anyone else not think shearer keeping quiet over his situation is a good thing and strengthens his position? If he was making noises of how he desperately wants to manage us, then his position right now wouldn't be so strong.

nah, think it just illustrates that he is as much in the dark as the rest of us

• 1 year later...

Anyone ever wondered how the Club would have done if he had never darkened our door. Some brilliant stuff was being played with Ferdinand up top. It wasn't too shabby either the one season they played together - 50+ goals between them iirc.

Certainly Shearers last 3 seasons where 3 seasons too many. Almost an embarrassment that last - let him get the record - season. Almost held the Club back for the last 2 if not 3 seasons. Was in effect finished when his partner (Bellamy) was usurped.

I can't agree with that last bit. Admittedly he was looking tired in his last season, but to say he held us back for 2-3 is bollocks imo.

I'd argue that one of our problems was that we relied upon him too much over the years to pull us out of the shit and have never properly replaced him since he retired. To a degree I'd say he papered over the cracks because no matter how poor we were in a game, you always thought Shearer would bag one, or force a situation for someone else.

He had his bad games and some would question his motives and his attitude towards other players etc but to write off 3 seasons is a bit much.

Anyone ever wondered how the Club would have done if he had never darkened our door. Some brilliant stuff was being played with Ferdinand up top. It wasn't too shabby either the one season they played together - 50+ goals between them iirc.

Certainly Shearers last 3 seasons where 3 seasons too many. Almost an embarrassment that last - let him get the record - season. Almost held the Club back for the last 2 if not 3 seasons. Was in effect finished when his partner (Bellamy) was usurped.

i often wondered along those lines. he was never quite the same player after that injury after his first year with us. we had to build the team to play around his strengths in the end. he almost became bigger than the club at one point too.

having said all that, he's still our record goal scorer, and was class those seasons he had bellas alongside him. he was still the best finisher in the game, even after he lost all his pace.

he was also unlucky not to have played in many great newcastle sides. we probably peaked the season before he arrived. he was feeding off scraps for most of his time with us.

i often wondered along those lines. he was never quite the same player after that injury after his first year with us. we had to build the team to play around his strengths in the end. he almost became bigger than the club at one point too.

having said all that, he's still our record goal scorer, and was class those seasons he had bellas alongside him. he was still the best finisher in the game, even after he lost all his pace.

he was also unlucky not to have played in many great newcastle sides. we probably peaked the season before he arrived. he was feeding off scraps for most of his time with us.

He peaked two seasons before he arrived. Turned down a move here to go to Blackburn too btw.

He peaked two seasons before he arrived. Turned down a move here to go to Blackburn too btw.

he was still shit hot before he joined us though. was averaging over 30 goals a season at blackburn and got about 30 in his first season with us before he got injured.

he only played in one really great newcastle side mind, and it was for only one season. the only side that came close to that one was when sbr was in charge and i'd say that was a good side, rather than a great one.

Edited by Dr Gloom

he was still shit hot before he joined us though. was averaging over 30 goals a season at blackburn and got about 30 in his first season with us before he got injured.

he only played in one really great newcastle side mind, and it was for only one season. the only side that came close to that one was when sbr was in charge and i'd say that was a good side, rather than a great one.

I didn't say otherwise did I? You said he was unlucky not to play in a great Newcastle side though whereas it was actually down to his own choosing.

I didn't say otherwise did I? You said he was unlucky not to play in a great Newcastle side though whereas it was actually down to his own choosing.

well yeah, but he was also unlucky we were only title contenders for one season after he joined. when he signed we looked like being the main challengers to man u for some time. he ended up playing in sides that were mostly gash.

EDIT - you said he peaked two seasons before he arrived. i'm not sure that's right. he was considered one of the best strikers in the world after euro 96 and had one season for us at his highest level i'd say

Edited by Dr Gloom

I'd say the last two seasons at Blackburn/ first season with NUFC were his peak. He hit top form at Euro 96 and that got him noticed almost worldwide and WE snapped him up. Ahhhh great days. I remember the morning he signed. Nearly choked on me Honey nut cornflakes, I did.

Last 2 seasons. Certainly not 3. Used to think there was maybe some truth to that, but seeing some of the strikers we've had since we were probably better off with a 35 year old Shearer.

Aye if we'd had him in 94/95 I think we'd have been unstoppable both that season and certainly 95/96. We'd never have signed Ferdinand in '95 though if we did have him (nor would we have ever had Andy Cole).