Shepherd In?

Park Life

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

Shepherd bled black and white though, that is the thing.

don't be fucking stupid man. Freddy and his cohorts got us into over 100m of debt in the first place. whilst ashley is a complete prat freddy fucked us over and walked away with several million in the bank.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

don't be fucking stupid man. Freddy and his cohorts got us into over 100m of debt in the first place. whilst ashley is a complete prat freddy fucked us over and walked away with several million in the bank.

How exactly did he fuck us over? The 1996 and the 2003 teams were the best weve had since the 1950s. We genuinely challenged for the title and played in the champions league. Yeah we were in debt, Man United are currently in £800million debt. Theres not a club in the top half of the table that isnt in debt. he attracted big players and stumped up the cash when it was needed for the likes of Sir Les, Asprilla, Shearer, Robert, Owen, Ginola. Yeah he wasnt perfect but hes got one thing that MA has never had. He genuinely wants the club to be successful, he didnt treat us as a cash cow. Sure, he made plenty money, but you dont hoy the sort of money about like he did if you are trying to take the club for all its worth like our current owner.

Id have him back in a heartbeat

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

:lol:

Edited by Attain

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

How exactly did he fuck us over? The 1996 and the 2003 teams were the best weve had since the 1950s. We genuinely challenged for the title and played in the champions league. Yeah we were in debt, Man United are currently in £800million debt. Theres not a club in the top half of the table that isnt in debt. he attracted big players and stumped up the cash when it was needed for the likes of Sir Les, Asprilla, Shearer, Robert, Owen, Ginola. Yeah he wasnt perfect but hes got one thing that MA has never had. He genuinely wants the club to be successful, he didnt treat us as a cash cow. Sure, he made plenty money, but you dont hoy the sort of money about like he did if you are trying to take the club for all its worth like our current owner.

Last time I checked there were only 2 clubs in the whole of the PL not in debt and one of them was Hull.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

This is the bottom line for me.....Ashley's main problem has been when he suddenly realised that he himself had to write the cheques to pay for the Shepherd years. To me thats the crux of the situation. Manu are 800million in debt but have millions of fans all over the world paying the bills for a title winning machine. We have a city of no more than 500k people and Freddy tried to compete with Manu on a financially completely lop sided playing field. I really don't think a couple of FA cup final appearnces and half a dozen champions league games are worth the well over 100mill debt that they cost, and that is all down to Shepherd.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

you should keep such shite for Newcastle Online

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

This is the bottom line for me.....Ashley's main problem has been when he suddenly realised that he himself had to write the cheques to pay for the Shepherd years. To me thats the crux of the situation. Manu are 800million in debt but have millions of fans all over the world paying the bills for a title winning machine. We have a city of no more than 500k people and Freddy tried to compete with Manu on a financially completely lop sided playing field. I really don't think a couple of FA cup final appearnces and half a dozen champions league games are worth the well over 100mill debt that they cost, and that is all down to Shepherd.

I'm pleased for you that you appear to think we should compete at the levels of Bolton, Charlton and not the trophy winning clubs.

Ashley should be good for you. Enjoy your time with him running the club.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

I'm pleased for you that you appear to think we should compete at the levels of Bolton, Charlton and not the trophy winning clubs.

Well thats not really what I'm saying......I'm saying that Shepherds time at the club was very poor value for money for the money he entrusted to his largely bad managerial appointments. And I'm not defending Ashley, he's plainly been a disaster and has by his own admission made astonishingly poor decisions, but he wanted his own man in to control spending. Asking Dennis Wise to do it was a fuckin joke, but he felt he needed control costs because of the mountain of debt Shepherd had run up.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

Your response times aren't what they used to be Neef. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

Well thats not really what I'm saying......I'm saying that Shepherds time at the club was very poor value for money for the money he entrusted to his largely bad managerial appointments. And I'm not defending Ashley, he's plainly been a disaster and has by his own admission made astonishingly poor decisions, but he wanted his own man in to control spending. Asking Dennis Wise to do it was a fuckin joke, but he felt he needed control costs because of the mountain of debt Shepherd had run up.

so you think expanding the stadium should not have been done ?

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

Your response times aren't what they used to be Neef. :lol:

I'm not getting the blame for tosspots stalking me on here :D

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

With the benefit of hindsight no. I wasnt that bothered one way or the other when it was done, but I do remember Shepherd saying at the time that the payments for the loan arrangement to pay for it were taken from season ticket sales before that income could be used from anything else, ringfenced if you like. He denied at the time that this was anything like the road which Leeds were going down i.e. financing player purchases on the basis of champions league money every season but it sounds suspiciously similar to me. As long as we were getting 50k+ things were going to be ok, but thats not going to happen next season. In a way he mortgaged our future financial stability in a similar way to what Ridsdale did. They imploded almost straight away, we've had to wait for the cockney mafia to turn up, but the effect may be much the same.

If Shepherd returned but got himself someone to work alongside who prevented the stupid 'Souness' type mistakes that'd be great. For all he was despised when he left he really did show the meaning of 'Better the devil you know' and he was a million times better than Ashley.

Whilst I think Freddie is a bumbling idiot and has very little business sense at all, he is first and foremost a football fan and his intentions are generally in good faith.

He's not a great prospect but Ashley is a considerable worse one. Put it this way, if Shepherd was our only alternative we'd be fools not to accept him.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

With the benefit of hindsight no. I wasnt that bothered one way or the other when it was done, but I do remember Shepherd saying at the time that the payments for the loan arrangement to pay for it were taken from season ticket sales before that income could be used from anything else, ringfenced if you like. He denied at the time that this was anything like the road which Leeds were going down i.e. financing player purchases on the basis of champions league money every season but it sounds suspiciously similar to me. As long as we were getting 50k+ things were going to be ok, but thats not going to happen next season. In a way he mortgaged our future financial stability in a similar way to what Ridsdale did. They imploded almost straight away, we've had to wait for the cockney mafia to turn up, but the effect may be much the same.

sorry, but I disagree completely.

Short of building a new stadium [preferred] the expansion of that stadium is the best thing they did, and their long term legacy. I'm quite astounded that anybody could think that Newcastle United don't need a 50,000 stadium, minimum.

After (and in tandem with) our fanbase, the stadium is our biggest asset right now. Any prospective buyer will know that if they get the football right, get us up and get us moving forward that stadium will be full every week. The £57mil outstanding on the stadium Ashley had to pay off was peanuts compared to what teams like Everton and spuds are looking at to build theirs now (it's the main reason why Kenwright hasn't been able to sell despite looking for a buyer for two years with a team finishing fifth in the league and a great manager in place).

Last time they had to build a football team then build a stadium to match it. This time round the stadium's already there. Whoever comes in will need to invest in the team now and again next summer if we go up of course, but if they get the football right they're guaranteed big revenues through the turnstiles instantly, and that's a huge advantage.

After (and in tandem with) our fanbase, the stadium is our biggest asset right now. Any prospective buyer will know that if they get the football right, get us up and get us moving forward that stadium will be full every week. The £57mil outstanding on the stadium Ashley had to pay off was peanuts compared to what teams like Everton and spuds are looking at to build theirs now (it's the main reason why Kenwright hasn't been able to sell despite looking for a buyer for two years with a team finishing fifth in the league and a great manager in place).

Last time they had to build a football team then build a stadium to match it. This time round the stadium's already there. Whoever comes in will need to invest in the team now and again next summer if we go up of course, but if they get the football right they're guaranteed big revenues through the turnstiles instantly, and that's a huge advantage.

Good balanced outlook.

The other advantage is that progressively over the summer most of the high earners will go.

That'll help naturally. So will a new owner who makes good appointments and generally starts well, as getting the goodwill of the fans will probably ensure bigger crowds than would have been the case otherwise.

Mind you that's only the theory. Fuck knows what will actually happen - my head's hurting thinking about the possibilities, some of which are not pleasant to contemplate.

Shepherd to return ??

Fucking hell I hope not.

thats bollocks mate. the trouble with the halls/ fat fred (inspite of creating 2 of the best teams or groups of players (93-98) and (2001-2004) they riddled us with huge debts. and pocketed loads of money when they sold up. I don't debate that we had some really good times under them, but i do think they could have balanced the books and been more savvy with the marketing deals (do you for example remember the adidas multi year deal for 1million..(man utd were getting paid around 6m+ a season at that time by umbro or nike).

now the obvious argument was ashley went the other way ( i.e. too much belt tightening). that has very clearly cost us. (no shit eh!)

All i want is someone that could structure us better, clear the debt, get us promoted and finally get us back in the top 6 of the prem in 3-5 years, playing good football and getting good professionals integrated within the club. not the mercenaries we have currently.

no offence meant btw