Shepherd In?

Park Life

I don't think the debt he put us in is a terrible thing no, he did it with the belief that it would bring success on the pitch. It failed yes but it's been proven elsewhere that it's the only way to gain that success (see the fact that a third of all the football leagues debt is owed by the top 4).

We've proven this season that to avoid debt is disasterous both for the team and balance sheet.

I'm a critic of Shepherd, always have been but there's a lot worse possibilities out there.

so simple and so straightforward and correct.

Really makes me wonder why so many people have bickered with me here [and on the other site] when I said it.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the debt he put us in is a terrible thing no, he did it with the belief that it would bring success on the pitch. It failed yes but it's been proven elsewhere that it's the only way to gain that success (see the fact that a third of all the football leagues debt is owed by the top 4).

We've proven this season that to avoid debt is disasterous both for the team and balance sheet.

I'm a critic of Shepherd, always have been but there's a lot worse possibilities out there.

Really makes me wonder why so many people have bickered with me here [and on the other site] when I said it.

simply being "not as bad as other people" is not any kind of indication that you're any good.

Shpeherd was awful for this football club towards the end and we would have gone down with him at the helm, regardless of what you say now. Ashley was a catastrophe that was as much a victim of bad luck as a victim of his idiocy.

what did kylie say ?

`better the devil you know`

I just cant get you out of my club.

c'mon baby, hopes up, go down

Do the Re-le-Gation with me?

simply being "not as bad as other people" is not any kind of indication that you're any good.

Shpeherd was awful for this football club towards the end and we would have gone down with him at the helm, regardless of what you say now. Ashley was a catastrophe that was as much a victim of bad luck as a victim of his idiocy.

What was Ashleys bad luck? A huge amount of what has happened is down to his appointments. Wise, a man with no director/scouting history is given the job of buying players ahead of an established manager like Keegan, who is then undermined and quits. Then we get Kinnear, completely out of his depth who does nothing more than humiliate the club further. Appointing such an incredibly two faced and dislikeable chairman in LLambias didn't help either. These decisions were made by Ashley and led to our relegation, where is the bad luck there?

Edited by TicTacWoe

What was Ashleys bad luck? A huge amount of what has happened is down to his appointments. Wise, a man with no director/scouting history is given the job of buying players ahead of an established manager like Keegan, who is then undermined and quits. Then we get Kinnear, completely out of his depth who does nothing more than humiliate the club further. Appointing such an incredibly two faced and dislikeable chairman in LLambias didn't help either. These decisions were made by Ashley and led to our relegation, where is the bad luck there?

just injuries and bans really, no worse than other people I suppose but his bad decisions were compounded by these hammer blows. Would we really have been in all that trouble if key players had been fit? If Kinnear had stayed fit (I'm not for a second saying that Joe was a good manager, but his absence caused upheaval that could have been telling)

"not as bad as other people". Who said that ?

Not me. Fact is he was better than most, european qualifications and league positions prove it.

"not as bad as other people". Who said that ?

Not me. Fact is he was better than most, european qualifications and league positions prove it.

Agree wit the "you have to spend money to earn money"

And the european qualifications and good leauge positions in the early Hall/Shep times.

These was good times...

BUT what happen when we simply do not deliver, and over some years have tried to buy us out of it, without success?

You get to a breaking point, where there simply are no point of return.

Should we then still borrow, and face the possible meltdown?

Like, look at Liverpool, what will happen to them, if they fall out of the top 4 next season (ulikely i know).

But they are in a mess now.

I am afraid alot of clubs will find them in a rough situasion in the future.

My 5 cents and opinions :lol:

Shepherd made mistakes no doubt, but he knew how to drive the business forward, which generated enough cash to provide a fantastic stadium, and allowed us to compete at the top end of the transfer market. The best footballing times of my 47 years on the planet came under his and the Halls stewardship

Ashley has been an unmitigated disaster.

I would be much happier if I woke up tomorrow with FFS in control

• 3 weeks later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/8125576.stm

Shepherd in £60m Newcastle offer

Former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is heading a consortium in advanced talks over a £60m takeover the club, BBC Sport understands.

Alan Shearer has been lined up to carry on as manager, who were relegated to the Championship last season.

Owner Mike Ashley was asking for £100m but BBC Sport understands Shepherd's offer is likely to be accepted.

Shepherd sold his Newcastle shares to current owner Mike Ashley two years ago as part of a £134m deal for the club.

Ashley's total investment in the club is estimated at £244m, which includes paying off debts and buying new players.

When Ashley first put the club up for sale last September, he hoped to get around £300m.

Shepherd became chairman in 1997 when Sir John Hall and his son Douglas were the major shareholders and negotiated the £15m signing of Shearer.

Always a controversial figure, he was forced out of the club when Ashley bought his controlling interest.

Several other groups, including investors from Singapore, Oman and South Africa have also shown interest in buying the club.

The man in charge of the sale, Keith Harris, the chairman of brokers Seymour Pierce, has said he expected a deal to be concluded by the end of this month.

Edited by nufc4ever

Conversation between Shepherd and Ashley, circa 2 years ago:

Shepherd: Oh christ, the Newcastle fans hate me, Owens going to be a flop, Shearers retired, Roeder is shit, what can I do?

Ashley: Let me help! I'll buy the team from you, run it into the ground, and when you buy it back from me in two years, you'll look like more of a messiah than Kevin fucking Keegan!

Shepherd: Oh thats a brilliant idea! Let me just appoint Sam Allardyce first, so then you can sack him right before the January transfer window claiming you had to get rid of him cause he wasn't your signing, that will really fuck the team up.

My main concern would be the backing this consortium can give the club, and that Shepherd has learnt from his past mistakes of bad appointments and spending beyond our means. But I've come to the conclusion that anyone has got to be better than Ashley and his mob.

Conversation between Shepherd and Ashley, circa 2 years ago:

Shepherd: Oh christ, the Newcastle fans hate me, Owens going to be a flop, Shearers retired, Roeder is shit, what can I do?

Ashley: Let me help! I'll buy the team from you, run it into the ground, and when you buy it back from me in two years, you'll look like more of a messiah than Kevin fucking Keegan!

Shepherd: Oh thats a brilliant idea! Let me just appoint Sam Allardyce first, so then you can sack him right before the January transfer window claiming you had to get rid of him cause he wasn't your signing, that will really fuck the team up.

Ashley: How much will this cost by the way?

Shepherd: Oh, only about $180m of your own money

Ashley: No problem. My brain's in my backside me.

Daily Star:

FORMER Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is a shock front-runner to buy out Toon owner Mike Ashley and take over the troubled club.

Starsport understand that Shep-herd, who was ousted by Ashley two years ago, is favourite to resume control ahead of an American-based consortium.

A source close to Shepherd last night claimed his camp are confident a deal can be struck. And he dismissed fears that Ashley won’t do business with Shepherd, who has been fiercely critical of the sports magnate’s regime, which has overseen the club’s alarming decline, culminating in last month’s relegation.

“There are two serious parties interested in buying the club and Freddy is one of them,’’ the source said. “At the moment, it’s 50-50 but Freddy is cautiously optimistic.

“He’s upset at what’s happened to Newcastle and will do everything he can to get the club back on its feet again. It’s nonsense to suggest Mike Ashley won’t sell to Shepherd.

“That is not a hurdle in itself though obviously a deal like this isn’t clear-cut and can take time.’’

Shepherd’s possible return will be good news for Alan Shearer, who has privately backed his fellow-Geordie’s bid.

The squad return for pre-season training tomorrow with Shearer a frustrated onlooker after weeks of inactivity on the takeover front. Shearer had hoped to be reinstalled as manager ahead of the squad reporting back but instead it will be coach Chris Hughton who puts the players through their paces.

But Shearer knows that if Shepherd’s bid is successful, he will be holding the reins again.

The pair enjoy an excellent relationship and have held talks over the summer, with Shepherd promising the 38-year-old his first act as chairman will be to present him with a four-year deal.

Ashley is demanding £100m for the club he bought from the Hall family and Shepherd for £135m in June 2007, spending a further £100m to reduce inherited debts.

Shepherd has signed a confidentiality agreement and cannot discuss negotiations.

He is ready to re-invest the £37m he received from Ashley for his shares, though Ashley’s £100m valuation is thought to be a stumbling block.

Shepherd’s consortium, which does not involve any foreign investors, are willing to pay up to £80m.

Although Ashley is desperate for a quick sale, it remains to be seen if he will drop his asking price.

Of last season’s flops, only Michael Owen and Mark Viduka have left on free transfers. One of the first tasks for whoever takes control will be to slash the £72m wage bill.

If theres anything in this and we do end up with Shep at the helm again, does anyone think he'll have learnt a single fuckin thing from his first ten years?....personally I'm not holding my breath :o

No. He'll lay the blame for the clubs current problems squarely at the feet of MA and probably thinks that had he been around Fat Sam would've taken us to CL qualification.

I also find it bizarre that Shearer would happily work with a man who called him Mary Poppins and taped interviews with him so he could blackmail him should he ever try to leave the club.

Edited by Ketsbaia