Shepherd In?

Park Life

I'd imagine selling to Shepherd would be a particularly bitter pill to swallow. A bit like buying a car off someone for 10 grand, finding out it's a lemon, and selling it back to the same smirking bastard for a grand.

A bit more like buying a car off someone for 10 grand, finding a few skeletons in the boot (that you didn't check for first), then failing to get any repairs or servicing done despite it needing a complete overhaul before finally having it fail in spectacular fashion, crashing and burning in a wreck. Then slapping a new coat of (yellow and cream) paint on it and selling it back to the same smirking bastard for a grand.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe they ought to have a facility for others to put facts in response to what is only one persons opinion ?

Well it's their website I suppose. They do have an email option if you want to dispute their opinions.

certainly do dispute "opinions" when they are bollocks. I mean, can anybody else explain how such a shite board qualiifed for europe on a regualar basis like they did and gave us by a million miles the best 15 years supporting the club in decades ?

maybe they ought to have a facility for others to put facts in response to what is only one persons opinion ?

Well it's their website I suppose. They do have an email option if you want to dispute their opinions.

certainly do dispute "opinions" when they are bollocks. I mean, can anybody else explain how such a shite board qualiifed for europe on a regualar basis like they did and gave us by a million miles the best 15 years supporting the club in decades ?

Leazes, you've been trotting out this tired line for years, but you have yet to show me any proof that we were going forward under Shepherd stewardship.

If there was a fella who had inherited a good business and because the previous owner left it in comparatively good nick that fella could cover himself in their glory, but over ten years the mismanagement and awful decisions would come to the surface and eventually they'd have to sell up to a cockernee wideboy.

Before Shepherd ran thes how we were truly challenging for the Premiership, we were playing great football and we had a good set-up. Under him we've slowly but surely stuttered and fumbled and cringed our way into the championship.

I know you're pants are drenched at the thought of the return of a man you hold in high esteem, but trust me when I say, nothing good would come of Shepherd return. What if Alan falls out with him (which is likely) will Shepherd stand aside or sack Shearer? then who will he bring in? Another Souness? Promote Hughton? Maybe he'll splash the cash and sign another Luque, another Boumsong.

Leazes, he's a bad owner, he's just bad at it.

I can't get excited about the prospect of the return of FFS. It's taken me a couple of days to actually post this and I know I'm still not going to properly articulate my thoughts. It's just wrong.

The whole line about 'better the devil you know' - bollox. MA has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster, but hell, by all accounts he had a bad hand to start with. Regardless of whether or not he did his due diligence etc, the fact of the matter is that financially, and business wise we were in a bad way. League wise, we were better off, obviously - but for how long? We've been in steady decline site we sacked SBR and who's idea was that. who's idea was it to bring in his subsequent replacements. I can't argue about the fact he backed his managers, but it wasn't with his own money was it. Everyone is entitled to make a few mistakes, but we have continuously made bad investments for years. I'm struggling to think of many players we've bought in recent years who've been a worthwhile investment. Beye? Bassong? Not all of those bad investments have come under MA - a lot of them came under the watchful eye of FFS; someone who has more experience.

FFS has had his successes but those were years ago and he could do nothing to halt our decline when it was needed. In fact, his lack of leadership, business/common sense etc did little else but make things works. By the end, under him we were a laughing stock, clueless, rudderless and categorically without a plan. FFS plan was to throw more money at it. When did SJH start to take a back seat? - I honestly can't remember the answer to this. It would be interesting to map our decline against the time at which each perosn was in control. I remember us talking on here years ago about how SBR had make FFS look good.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to not realise that we need someone to throw money at the club, you do need to spend money to be successful but more weight needs to be placed on HOW we spend the money. I don't see the strategic thinking, planning and guidance coming from FFS.

I've already made my concerns public at our drastically reduced purchase price and the problems that could mean. It seems, they might well be coming to the surface.

We need MA to be out, but FFS coming in is not the answer.

Leazes, you've been trotting out this tired line for years, but you have yet to show me any proof that we were going forward under Shepherd stewardship.

If there was a fella who had inherited a good business and because the previous owner left it in comparatively good nick that fella could cover himself in their glory, but over ten years the mismanagement and awful decisions would come to the surface and eventually they'd have to sell up to a cockernee wideboy.

Before Shepherd ran thes how we were truly challenging for the Premiership, we were playing great football and we had a good set-up. Under him we've slowly but surely stuttered and fumbled and cringed our way into the championship.

I know you're pants are drenched at the thought of the return of a man you hold in high esteem, but trust me when I say, nothing good would come of Shepherd return. What if Alan falls out with him (which is likely) will Shepherd stand aside or sack Shearer? then who will he bring in? Another Souness? Promote Hughton? Maybe he'll splash the cash and sign another Luque, another Boumsong.

thats the sort of juvenile shite people on NO used to say to me.

I've stated my view on Shepherd, with Hall the best 15 years by far in my life. My long stated view that we could easily get someone not just worse [because only 4 clubs did better] but really very bad has been completely and totally [and sadly] been proved correct, despite the vast majority of people telling me I was wrong. This is all i've ever said, others have misinterpreted in different ways, but its all I've ever said.

thats the sort of juvenile shite people on NO used to say to me.

I've stated my view on Shepherd, with Hall the best 15 years by far in my life. My long stated view that we could easily get someone not just worse [because only 4 clubs did better] but really very bad has been completely and totally [and sadly] been proved correct, despite the vast majority of people telling me I was wrong. This is all i've ever said, others have misinterpreted in different ways, but its all I've ever said.

haha, the NO tough guy from behind his keyboard is looking again. Alright Dave :lol: Do you still have your inbox closed so nobody can send you nasty pm's

Edited by LeazesMag

I can't get excited about the prospect of the return of FFS. It's taken me a couple of days to actually post this and I know I'm still not going to properly articulate my thoughts. It's just wrong.

The whole line about 'better the devil you know' - bollox. MA has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster, but hell, by all accounts he had a bad hand to start with. Regardless of whether or not he did his due diligence etc, the fact of the matter is that financially, and business wise we were in a bad way. League wise, we were better off, obviously - but for how long? We've been in steady decline site we sacked SBR and who's idea was that. who's idea was it to bring in his subsequent replacements. I can't argue about the fact he backed his managers, but it wasn't with his own money was it. Everyone is entitled to make a few mistakes, but we have continuously made bad investments for years. I'm struggling to think of many players we've bought in recent years who've been a worthwhile investment. Beye? Bassong? Not all of those bad investments have come under MA - a lot of them came under the watchful eye of FFS; someone who has more experience.

FFS has had his successes but those were years ago and he could do nothing to halt our decline when it was needed. In fact, his lack of leadership, business/common sense etc did little else but make things works. By the end, under him we were a laughing stock, clueless, rudderless and categorically without a plan. FFS plan was to throw more money at it. When did SJH start to take a back seat? - I honestly can't remember the answer to this. It would be interesting to map our decline against the time at which each perosn was in control. I remember us talking on here years ago about how SBR had make FFS look good.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to not realise that we need someone to throw money at the club, you do need to spend money to be successful but more weight needs to be placed on HOW we spend the money. I don't see the strategic thinking, planning and guidance coming from FFS.

I've already made my concerns public at our drastically reduced purchase price and the problems that could mean. It seems, they might well be coming to the surface.

We need MA to be out, but FFS coming in is not the answer.

What we need right now - apart from someone with a shitload of cash to lose - is someone who will put the club first, and desire to get back up asap whatever it takes, and a manager with the same attitude and capability to do it, otherwise, rudderless as we are with no direction, 5 or 6 players who need to get out of the club and be replaced by 6 or 7 who want to be here, we are in grave danger of sliding further down.

I've stated my view on Shepherd, with Hall the best 15 years by far in my life.

Why don't you sell your house, take your life savings and go and have the best three months of your life blowing it all? Because you know that when the money runs out you're fucked, something Shepherd didn't realise.

Why don't you sell your house, take your life savings and go and have the best three months of your life blowing it all? Because you know that when the money runs out you're fucked, something Shepherd didn't realise.

desire for premiership success = debts

Otherwise, real mediocrity is certain.

Survival in the Premiership = sustainability.

Survival in the Premiership = sustainability.

so that is all you want ? Survival in the premiership ? The 3rd biggest support in the country, the only club in the world who would get 50,000 gates not having won a trophy for 40 years ? And you think we shouldn't be up to challenge the trophy winners ?

If THAT is what Shepherd gets flak for, then shame on you and others like you.

so that is all you want ? Survival in the premiership ? The 3rd biggest support in the country, the only club in the world who would get 50,000 gates not having won a trophy for 40 years ? And you think we shouldn't be up to challenge the trophy winners ?

No, survival in the PL is the bare minimum. Don't forget that in Shepherd's ten full seasons as chairman we finished in the bottom half for six of those. The problem was that the money he was spending wasn't sustainable given the mediocre returns.

No, survival in the PL is the bare minimum. Don't forget that in Shepherd's ten full seasons as chairman we finished in the bottom half for six of those. The problem was that the money he was spending wasn't sustainable given the mediocre returns.

blimey. Please tell us who in the premiership is not in debt and getting near the trophies. In fact, tell us anybody who doesn't have these debts.

Thought NO type posters were a thing of the past :lol:

They owe no apologies for trying to bring the best possible players to the club.

blimey. Please tell us who in the premiership is not in debt and getting near the trophies. In fact, tell us anybody who doesn't have these debts.

They owe no apologies for trying to bring the best possible players to the club.

Where have I said that we shouldn't be in debt? Debt is fine if it is sustainable. The levels of debt and wage bill that the Shepherds and Halls burdened the club with wasn't sustainable outside the CL.

Tend to agree and that includes the Owen deal. When we bought him he was one of the top finishers in the game. It was just bad luck the way it worked out and I certainly don't blame Shepherd for that.

Where have I said that we shouldn't be in debt? Debt is fine if it is sustainable. The levels of debt and wage bill that the Shepherds and Halls burdened the club with wasn't sustainable outside the CL.

that also goes for the current top 4, and is the reason why they are still there [for now]

Tend to agree and that includes the Owen deal. When we bought him he was one of the top finishers in the game. It was just bad luck the way it worked out and I certainly don't blame Shepherd for that.

Investing that much money in a player was a huge gamble. It could have worked and Owen's goals could have had us in the top 6, unfortunately for us it backfired spectacularly.

that also goes for the current top 4, and is the reason why they are still there [for now]

If only we'd appointed the right managers and bought the right players that could've been us. Now whos fault is that again? ;)

If only we'd appointed the right managers and bought the right players that could've been us. Now whos fault is that again? ;)

you mean like everybody else does, especially all those clubs who qualified for europe more than we did ?

you mean like everybody else does, especially all those clubs who qualified for europe more than we did ?

How many other clubs had the resources we did (due to the early good work of SJH and others)? And how many other clubs wasted money like we did? It wasn't sustainable so while we may have had some great European nights it was like a house of cards, once we were out of Europe we were fucked and that's part of the reason why we are where we are today. I'm not demonising FS but he has made a lot of mistakes that you don't / won't see.

Anyways I'm off out so you can find someone else to debate this with for 94832434th time.

How many other clubs had the resources we did (due to the early good work of SJH and others)? And how many other clubs wasted money like we did? It wasn't sustainable so while we may have had some great European nights it was like a house of cards, once we were out of Europe we were fucked and that's part of the reason why we are where we are today. I'm not demonising FS but he has made a lot of mistakes that you don't / won't see.

Anyways I'm off out so you can find someone else to debate this with for 94832434th time.

you mean due to the early good work of the Halls and Shepherd [who remained the controlling owners throughout the whole 15 years] ?

Wasting money isn't the fault of the board. They back their manager. How much money is wasted by clubs who are relegated through not speculating ?

I know he/they made mistakes, but the only way to succeed is to show ambition, and simple mathematics tell you the vast majority in essence don't succeed in terms of winning trophies . If you don't attempt, you will never succeed, surely this Ashley regime has rammed that point home by now ?

you mean due to the early good work of the Halls and Shepherd [who remained the controlling owners throughout the whole 15 years] ?

Wasting money isn't the fault of the board. They back their manager. How much money is wasted by clubs who are relegated through not speculating ?

I know he/they made mistakes, but the only way to succeed is to show ambition, and simple mathematics tell you the vast majority in essence don't succeed in terms of winning trophies . If you don't attempt, you will never succeed, surely this Ashley regime has rammed that point home by now ?

Debatable. During the latter days of his reign Shepherd was backing himself in the transfer market and the manager took a backseat. I can think of at least five transfers that have been done behind the backs of managers and have been all but confirmed.