Shepherd In?

Park Life

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choosing between Ashley or Shepherd is like having to choose between toothache or piles.

Shit, I regularly have both :lol:

shouldn't put ballbearings in the vindaloo

I often think the "success" of Hall and Shepherd was more by luck than judgement - mainly the appointments of Keegan and Robson. I think there were cock-ups from the start like the first Keegan walkout and continuing through things like the Baggio farce and summer of Bowyer.

I don't doubt Shepherd does want us to succeed and would do the business in the short term (if Shearer works out) but I don't think its due to any underlying competence.

I think I'd prefer a baggageless option.

It goes to show how bad Ashley is that people want the fat twat back in. Be careful what you wish for, replacing someone shite with someone just that little less shite isn't going to help us. People are forgetting what an embarrasing fuck up that man was. I desperately want Ashley out, but I'm not that desperate.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

It goes to show how bad Ashley is that people want the fat twat back in. Be careful what you wish for, replacing someone shite with someone just that little less shite isn't going to help us. People are forgetting what an embarrasing fuck up that man was. I desperately want Ashley out, but I'm not that desperate.

:lol:

Shepherd isn't a good owner, he's just not the atrocity that Ashley is.

I'm still hoping that his consortium are not the front runners (as is alluded to in the press).

Leazes, how do you defend the Shepherd buying players, how do you defend his awful appointments and how do you defend his shocking performances in the media?

I've never doubted he loves the club, but so does John McCrirrick... I wouldn't want him running the club either.

so that is all you want ? Survival in the premiership ? The 3rd biggest support in the country, the only club in the world who would get 50,000 gates not having won a trophy for 40 years ? And you think we shouldn't be up to challenge the trophy winners ?

If THAT is what Shepherd gets flak for, then shame on you and others like you.

No, survival in the PL is the bare minimum. Don't forget that in Shepherd's ten full seasons as chairman we finished in the bottom half for six of those. The problem was that the money he was spending wasn't sustainable given the mediocre returns.

blimey. Please tell us who in the premiership is not in debt and getting near the trophies. In fact, tell us anybody who doesn't have these debts.

Thought NO type posters were a thing of the past :lol:

They owe no apologies for trying to bring the best possible players to the club.

I think Hull are the only club with no debt iirc.

I can't get excited about the prospect of the return of FFS. It's taken me a couple of days to actually post this and I know I'm still not going to properly articulate my thoughts. It's just wrong.

The whole line about 'better the devil you know' - bollox. MA has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster, but hell, by all accounts he had a bad hand to start with. Regardless of whether or not he did his due diligence etc, the fact of the matter is that financially, and business wise we were in a bad way. League wise, we were better off, obviously - but for how long? We've been in steady decline site we sacked SBR and who's idea was that. who's idea was it to bring in his subsequent replacements. I can't argue about the fact he backed his managers, but it wasn't with his own money was it. Everyone is entitled to make a few mistakes, but we have continuously made bad investments for years. I'm struggling to think of many players we've bought in recent years who've been a worthwhile investment. Beye? Bassong? Not all of those bad investments have come under MA - a lot of them came under the watchful eye of FFS; someone who has more experience.

FFS has had his successes but those were years ago and he could do nothing to halt our decline when it was needed. In fact, his lack of leadership, business/common sense etc did little else but make things works. By the end, under him we were a laughing stock, clueless, rudderless and categorically without a plan. FFS plan was to throw more money at it. When did SJH start to take a back seat? - I honestly can't remember the answer to this. It would be interesting to map our decline against the time at which each perosn was in control. I remember us talking on here years ago about how SBR had make FFS look good.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to not realise that we need someone to throw money at the club, you do need to spend money to be successful but more weight needs to be placed on HOW we spend the money. I don't see the strategic thinking, planning and guidance coming from FFS.

I've already made my concerns public at our drastically reduced purchase price and the problems that could mean. It seems, they might well be coming to the surface.

We need MA to be out, but FFS coming in is not the answer.

What we need right now - apart from someone with a shitload of cash to lose - is someone who will put the club first, and desire to get back up asap whatever it takes, and a manager with the same attitude and capability to do it, otherwise, rudderless as we are with no direction, 5 or 6 players who need to get out of the club and be replaced by 6 or 7 who want to be here, we are in grave danger of sliding further down.

I completely agree. I can see where you are heading with this and I can't deny that Shepherd wanted the club to do well as he genuinely is a fan. He backed his managers and aimed for the top. All of which are the sorts of traits we need from a chairman/owner. It's the other stuff the comes with him I find damaging and I just don't see him as a sensible, long term solution.

Looking at some of the comments on here, for all of his failings; I can't in good conscience, blame him for Owen (despite the manner in which he brought him to NUFC highlighting on of my problems with him). Owen was a proven goalscorer and I was as excited as hell when he arrived. Unfortunately (and typically) for us it backfired spectacularly.

Compare him to Ashley and he looks like a great prospect. Compare him to other chairmen of relatively successful clubs and he come up short in my opinion.

I know you hold a candle for him Leazes and in fairness I can't argue with some of your logic on the matter, I just think that you seem to forget/ignore many of his failings because of your memories of the good he did, particularly when comparing him to the thieves and crooks we had prior to him and SJH.

Guest alex
Fucking hell man, do we need to go over this again? :lol:

There's a thread.....

I'm an inspirational kind of guy, what can I say?

Bottom line is that if nobody wants us apart from FS then I'm happy enough to go down that road. Anything is better than ashley. The worst decision that FS ever made is still better than anything Ashley has done. And that includes appointing Souness.

Bottom line is that if nobody wants us apart from FS then I'm happy enough to go down that road. Anything is better than ashley. The worst decision that FS ever made is still better than anything Ashley has done. And that includes appointing Souness.

:lol:

Business as usual for players as Ashley moves closer to selling Newcastle

As Newcastle United await the arrival of new owners and a new manager, Chris Hughton is striving to conjure an air of normality. While Derek Llambias, Newcastle's managing director, showed representatives of a Malaysian consortium around St James' Park yesterday the caretaker manager insisted it was business as usual on the training ground.

Indeed Hughton maintains that his recently relegated players are perfectly capable of operating successfully in their own hermetically sealed world.

"In many ways it was no different to any other pre-season," said Hughton after welcoming his charges – Joey Barton included – back to training. "The boys went well, the mood was upbeat and I was pleased.

"The players want to get to work. They are professional enough not to let what is happening outside affect them. The focus now is on getting fit but they have looked after themselves well during the summer."

On Sunday Hughton takes Newcastle to Dublin for a week-long training camp culminating in their first friendly, at Shamrock Rovers. By then, Mike Ashley might just have managed to sell the club but nothing is certain.

Although there is no strict timetable for a sale, Seymour Pierce, the investment banker brokering the deal, hopes to receive an offer or offers from consortiums who have been performing due diligence on Newcastle by tomorrow. These will then be passed on to Ashley for the sports goods retailer – who wants £100m for the club – to consider over the weekend, and there may be significant developments by the middle of next week.

While four consortiums signed non-disclosure agreements ahead of entering due diligence, three expressed serious interest in a purchase and, of that trio, two would be keen to install Alan Shearer as manager. The favourites are thought to be an overseas consortium, quite possibly from the United States. However there are several hurdles, both legal and financial, to be surmounted before Ashley finally exits, stage left.