David Edgar exits Newcastle United for Burnley

Angelus71

from the ronnie

DAVID Edgar is the first player to leave Newcastle United to spark off what could be a mass exodus at St James’s Park.

The Canadian defender was offered a new contract to stay on in Newcastle but has signed a four-year deal with newly promoted Premier League outfit Burnley.

The 22-year-old ended his Toon career in devastating fashion after being red-carded at Aston Villa on the day that United lost their top flight status last month.

However, Edgar never let United down when selected and was rarely used in his natural position of centre-back, where he often shone as captain of the reserves.

Indeed when he did play in the heart of defence at Stoke City in April he put in a man of the match display.

The son of former Toon keeper Eddie Edgar will always be remembered for his howitzer against Manchester United in the 2-2 draw in 2007, and he also netted against Liverpool in the 5-1 loss on Tyneside last season.

Edgar wanted to join the Turf Moor club on loan last season in November but the move was blocked by United amidst an injury crisis under Joe Kinnear.

And there was no chance for him to move on loan during January for exactly the same reason.

Edgar made just 23 appearances for Newcastle but was restricted to limited first team opportunities under a host of different managers including the man who handed him his debut in Glenn Roeder, Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear and Alan Shearer.

United will be entitled to compensation for Edgar because of his age and because he came through the club's Academy since the age of 14.

Fellow newly promoted side Birmingham were also interested in signing the North American.

That's the way, let the young 1's go. :o

That's the way, let the young 1's go. ;)

Literally two minutes ago you said you wanted rid of Taylor who is one year older and miles better than Edgar :o

Literally two minutes ago you said you wanted rid of Taylor who is one year older and miles better than Edgar :o

Not convinced that's correct. I always thought Edgar looked assured and could turn out to be a good CB.

Not convinced that's correct. I always thought Edgar looked assured and could turn out to be a good CB.

Worst thing is he was desperate to stay but they offered him peanuts - he reckoned he could get more on the rigs - bunch of cunts

Worst thing is he was desperate to stay but they offered him peanuts - he reckoned he could get more on the rigs - bunch of cunts

I remember this being mentioned before but couldn't remember who'd said it. I assume it was you.

Absolute disgrace like and shows up the people behind the scenes for what they are.

I remember this being mentioned before but couldn't remember who'd said it. I assume it was you.

Absolute disgrace like and shows up the people behind the scenes for what they are.

Aye it was me - cracking on to a bloke at a reserves game who knew the family gave me the info - wouldn't you know the two stand out players on the night were Edgar and Carroll - amazing how different the two have been treat

shit. thats the type of lad we need to be keeping. Run through a wall for the team. Pride in the shirt (as much as these bastards have) probably keep duff or some other overpaid mercenary bastard. :o

Exactly the sort of player who would excel in the Chmpionship. Criminal that we didnt offer him better terms when it looks inevitable that we will lose Bassong

Sums up the cunts in charge letting us go completely to ruin. When he's played in his actual position of CB he's certainly looked good enough for the championship IMO, he was here already so costs nowt and wouldn't be asking for stupid wages. Now we lose him and will (if we have any time left) have to buy in a replacement, probably pay them more in wages and they mightn't even work out!

I assume it's all about saving costs because he's out of contract. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign a replacement at all, but promote someone from the reserves.

depressing move...the boy was born wearing the newcastle stripes...every interview in canadian newspapers of the last couple of years, he expressed his passion for the team....even after almost two years of sitting on the bench.

i really thought that a year playing a regular shift at CB in the championship would be the best for his career and the best for NUFC...drop the overpaid gereatrics and attract youth who will run through walls for the team....the fans deserve that at this point.

he never really shone at RB...i wish he had been given a fairer shake to show his prowess in the middle...maybe he would have been valued higher by the club when it came to contract time...i know he wanted to stay, even with rumours of both birmingham and burnley wanting him....odd that they would both pursue a player who is more potential than proven.

The lad never got a proper chance to get out on loan and get regular 1st team football which he needed over the last 4seasons or so. He was just rotting in the reserves and on the bench.

He may turn out to be nowhere near good enough, but he did keep saying he wanted to get out and play.