David Edgar exits Newcastle United for Burnley

Angelus71

Is he denfinatley gone? :lol:

yup...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/ju...-united-burnley

The Newcastle United defender David Edgar has joined Burnley on a four-year deal. Edgar's contract at St James' Park ended today and, having been offered new terms there that he deemed to be unsatisfactory, the 22-year-old has decided to link up with Owen Coyle's newly promoted side.

Edgar will earn close to £10,000 a week at Burnley, for whom he completed a medical last week and, crucially for the Canada international, has been guaranteed first-team football. There was, however, some reluctance on the part of the player to leave Newcastle. He joined the club at the age of 14 and having come through their academy was recognised as an important member of their first-team squad.

Edgar made 13 appearances for Newcastle last season, scoring one goal, and despite their relegation to the Championship was happy to remain in the north-east. But Newcastle's difficulties in finalising a permanent manager and finding new owners led to delays in offering the centre-back a contract extension and, when one was eventually put before him at the end of last month, Edgar decided it was too little, too late.

Birmingham City had also shown interest in him but the player opted for Burnley, who will play in England's top flight next season for the first time in 33 years. He will wear No15 for the Lancashire side.

Despite the fact Edgar is a free agent, Newcastle are entitled to compensation as he is under 23 years of age and has come through their academy. The two clubs will begin discussions on the size of the fee tomorrow.

Printable version Send to a friend Share Clip Contact us larger | smaller EmailClose Recipient's email address Your first name Your surname Add a note (optional)

as a supporter of edgar, i think his best move would have been to find a way to stay....he still needs a year to develop before becoming a premiership calibre player, in my opinion....a year of every day football in the CCC would have served him well....the odds are a lot higher that newcastle will be playing in the prem next year than burnley will...he could be exchanging one year in the prem for his future.

as a supporter of edgar, i think his best move would have been to find a way to stay....he still needs a year to develop before becoming a premiership calibre player, in my opinion....a year of every day football in the CCC would have served him well....the odds are a lot higher that newcastle will be playing in the prem next year than burnley will...he could be exchanging one year in the prem for his future.

lets not get ahead of ourselves, we still have no owner or manager

• 5 months later...
  • 12 years later...
On 30/06/2009 at 21:45, edgarfan said:

depressing move...the boy was born wearing the newcastle stripes...every interview in canadian newspapers of the last couple of years, he expressed his passion for the team....even after almost two years of sitting on the bench.

i really thought that a year playing a regular shift at CB in the championship would be the best for his career and the best for NUFC...drop the overpaid gereatrics and attract youth who will run through walls for the team....the fans deserve that at this point.

he never really shone at RB...i wish he had been given a fairer shake to show his prowess in the middle...maybe he would have been valued higher by the club when it came to contract time...i know he wanted to stay, even with rumours of both birmingham and burnley wanting him....odd that they would both pursue a player who is more potential than proven.

Thank you, Nancy White from Hebburn. (Edgar's grandmother)

David:

"It's pretty special. Trips knows what that club meant to me. We always talked about it."

"I'm sure we had a cheeky drive up on a Tuesday night just to show him what it was like when we were younger. He tasted Newcastle, for sure, more than a few times!"

"But I know he will excel there. I know the reception the fans will give him because of what he has gone and done. He's the type of player that will wear his heart on his sleeve for that strip."