iTunes, downloading etc

LeazesMag

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm being a good boy, I use gomusic.ru as the tracks are dead cheap (15cents each) and 10% off when buying an album.

Otherwise I'll search Rapidshare, MegaUpload et al.

I only occasionally use iTunes for tracks as they're too expensive. You can only use tracks downloaded from iTunes on iPods as they're in M4P format and iTunes won't let you convert them due to file protection.

When I'm being a good boy, I use gomusic.ru as the tracks are dead cheap (15cents each) and 10% off when buying an album.

I only occasionally use iTunes for tracks as they're too expensive. You can only use tracks downloaded from iTunes on iPods as they're in M4P format and iTunes won't let you convert them due to file protection.

this isn't for me. How do you pay for these tracks ?

this isn't for me. How do you pay for these tracks ?

Set up an account then buy as much credit as you want (think it goes up in increments of $10) and just top it up as and when required.

Simples.

e-music has an offer for 50 free downloads if you sign up, think you can cancel if you dont want the subscription. Worth checking out.

The way forward for 'alternative' means of acquiring music is usenet. Join a newsgroup server (subscribe or use your ISP's), download a newsreader and max out your download speed, automate tv shows, movies and music you like, then get plexapp.com to play it all in. This method makes it impossible for your ISP to monitor your d/ls since its SSL encrypted. Or something like that.

• 2 months later...
I've started using spotify for listening while at the computer.

Try Grooveshark :)

...but that's not why I came here...Itunes 9 is out...

For years, one of the biggest complaints about iTunes has been its inability to automatically add new music to your library from a watched folder. As of yesterday's iTunes 9 release, that's no longer the case.

iTunes now automatically adds new music to your library from a watched folder they quietly added to the iTunes Music folder structure. Apple did its darndest to sneak this new feature in under the radar among several who-cares features, but for our money, it's absolutely the best feature to come to iTunes 9.

At fucking last!

more flexibility with Smart Playlists rules

:D

iTunes 9 heralds the introduction of iTunes LP.

These "LPs" will be full-sized albums that also come loaded with special features. Additions brought by LPs include; "live performance videos, lyrics, artwork, liner notes, interviews, photos, album credits and more". New albums such as Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited,", Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me", The Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" and Dave Matthews Band's "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King: iTunes Pass" are now available.

iTunes Extras were also announced, which provide the same service as LPs, but for movies. They come with expanded features like documentaries, deleted scenes, interviews, and interactive galleries. Select movies, including "Twilight", "Batman Begins", "WALL-E", "Iron Man", and "The Da Vinci Code" now can be purchased as iTunes Extras.

iTunes 9 includes a bevy of other features. Home Sharing has been introduced, which allows users to easily transfer music, movies, and TV between up to 5 computers in your home. Your family members will be able to view as many as 5 iTunes libraries that are connected to their home network. When you click to open a new iTunes library, only the content that your computer does not have will show up, which should make importing new content much easier.

Genius Mixes have also been added in 9. This updated feature analyzes the results of over 27 million music libraries and 54 billion songs. The Genius DJ then automatically mixes up to 12 different playlists from your iTunes library. Apple brags that this digital DJ is capable of picking which songs go best together and making his playlists based on that.

iTunes 9 was built to sync up better with iPhone OS 3.1. You'll now be able to organize your iPhone apps in iTunes. Once you've settled on a design, you can automatically port it to your iPhone. Users also gain the ability to sync music by artist and genre, as well as sync photos by events and faces. Apple's also added 20,000 new ringtones to the iTunes store for $1.29 a piece.

It looks like Apple really went all out on iTunes 9. These new features sound really useful (especially the new syncing options) and the iTunes LP feature sounds better than I anticipated. Apple might just have a good shot at revitalizing "album sales" as we know them.

The Column Browser sounds handy too.

Installing now.

Edited by Happy Face

I've very anal with the adding of tunes (must have the titles, artists etc... all 100% accurate and the 1st letter of each word must be capitalized), so I add all my manually anyway.

I've very anal with the adding of tunes (must have the titles, artists etc... all 100% accurate and the 1st letter of each word must be capitalized), so I add all my manually anyway.

Me too. Correct number of CDs, album Artist, compilations defined and all that jazz.

But you can still edit them so that's not a problem.

Just saves you importing an album at a time yourself before editing.

I have considered moving all my music into the watched folder, but I'm not sure if this will mess up a lot of my tags and lead to a LOT of work fixing it.

• 3 years later...

It runs pretty nicely on my 2007 macbook. Never bothered to upgrade the ram on it, its recommended to put 4GB in the model i have but its still running on the original 1GB. I get the odd spinning wheel for a few moments but on the whole it works very smoothly. The new features are absurdly good. I'm a playlist freak, constantly editing, changing the order etc so each is 'just so' for all eventual and possible moods. This version is great for browsing and editing and the design is superb.

I was being cautious before any naysayers said it was a dog to run because I have just put it on.

I've still not noticed any problems with performance either, everything has been pretty much instant both within Itunes and doing other stuff while it's running in the background

Probably me doing something fundamentally wrong but the iCloud functionality is a pain in the arse.

There's a few songs I've purchased from iTunes but have them stored on my local disk, yet iTunes is showing the item twice, one for the local version and one for the iCloud version.

Had the same thing with a TV Show I downloaded, but only on a few episodes mind, and the only way to sort it was to download the item from the cloud again, rename it so iTunes couldn't find it andre-link it to the original copy. Right pain in the fucking arse.

Does look lush though as HF says. Very clever how it adjusts the colours based on the album artwork.

• 4 months later...

Ok Questions.

I have now have this lovely blue tooth speaker on which to play tunes and I want to broaden my horizons and add further tunes to itunes.

Once I add an album to itunes is there a way to sync with my phone wirelessly or do I always need to stick the firestick cable in?

Also, if anyone knows the type of stuff they play in Blond Barrel can you tell me what it is. My daughter knows but I cant reach her. I think DJ's play it in berlin???

Ok Questions.

I have now have this lovely blue tooth speaker on which to play tunes and I want to broaden my horizons and add further tunes to itunes.

Once I add an album to itunes is there a way to sync with my phone wirelessly or do I always need to stick the firestick cable in?

Also, if anyone knows the type of stuff they play in Blond Barrel can you tell me what it is. My daughter knows but I cant reach her. I think DJ's play it in berlin???

That the new place next to the LIFE centre? We were in as it just opened and IIRC, it seemed to be all current trendy US indie music. If I had to guess, you're looking at bands like Yeasayer and Local Natives. Is it any cheaper btw? We were in on opening night and it'll never survive round there with the prices as they were.

That the new place next to the LIFE centre? We were in as it just opened and IIRC, it seemed to be all current trendy US indie music. If I had to guess, you're looking at bands like Yeasayer and Local Natives. Is it any cheaper btw? We were in on opening night and it'll never survive round there with the prices as they were.

The new Yeasayer album isn't as good as the one before though so make sure to get the right one.

You've got an iphone haven't you?

Don't songs added to itunes automatically sync to the icloud for playing on your iphone to be picked up on your bluetooth device?

Aye. Set icloud up and you're laughing.