Championship is a whole new ball game

Craig

NEWCASTLE United's players will find the Championship a whole new ball game – and it isn't just because they'll be facing the likes of Barnsley and Blackpool.

The Football League uses Mitre match balls, and the club's players have been getting used to them since reporting back for training last week.

They have not been well received by all Newcastle's players, who are accustomed to the top-flight's Nike balls.

However, coach Chris Hughton has told them to get used to the balls, and quickly.

"They're certainly different from the Nike balls you have in the Premier League, but the lads have just got to get used to them," Hughton told the Gazette.

"It's obviously a change for them, but I'm sure it won't take long for the lads to get used to them."

Source: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Champio...-new.5431681.jp

Here's a thought.... if you hadn't got yourself relegated, you'd still be playing with the Nike ball. Stop fucking whiniging and just get on with it.

NEWCASTLE United's players will find the Championship a whole new ball game – and it isn't just because they'll be facing the likes of Barnsley and Blackpool.

The Football League uses Mitre match balls, and the club's players have been getting used to them since reporting back for training last week.

They have not been well received by all Newcastle's players, who are accustomed to the top-flight's Nike balls.

However, coach Chris Hughton has told them to get used to the balls, and quickly.

"They're certainly different from the Nike balls you have in the Premier League, but the lads have just got to get used to them," Hughton told the Gazette.

"It's obviously a change for them, but I'm sure it won't take long for the lads to get used to them."

Here's a thought.... if you hadn't got yourself relegated, you'd still be playing with the Nike ball. Stop fucking whiniging and just get on with it.

Didn't look that way last year or two ;)

Didn't look that way last year or two ;)

Accustomed to them going flying past them. :lol:

Mitre.

So if they use Mitre in the cup matches and still got results against lower leagued teams I don't see what the problem is, pathetic excuse for footballers, the lot of em...

... except Beye and any of the other who are half decent and fancy staying ;)

those balls are superb, my mate used to be a groundsman at turf moor and burnleys training ground and nicked a few over his time there for us to use

The Mitre Delta seemed to be the daddy of all leather balls when I was a kid. I'm trying to remember if we called leather balls "Caseys" or "Kaceys" or something like that.

I remember saving up for ages to get a Mitre Delta and being disapointed when I realised it was the 32 panel (hexagon and pentagon) design rather than the classic 18 panel design that they actually used in the matches.

Thing is in those days there wasn't a contract for the entire league - it's whatever the indivdual clubs have a deal with. The adidas clubs in the mid 80s (Liverpool, Man Utd & Arsenal) all used Adidas Tangos, most of the other teams used Mitre Deltas except a few, including us that used Minerva Supremes.

tango%20espana%2082.jpg25143362.JPG

Could only find the 'snow' ball for the Minerva and couldn't find any pics of the classic Mitre Delta apart from a pic of Gary Kelly at Wembley back in 1988.

I once met a girl in a club wearing a Mitre T-shirt, and ended up back at hers on Stanhope street. Not one of my finer moments

Did she have a mitre box?

Coat being fetched.........

The Mitre Delta seemed to be the daddy of all leather balls when I was a kid. I'm trying to remember if we called leather balls "Caseys" or "Kaceys" or something like that.

I remember saving up for ages to get a Mitre Delta and being disapointed when I realised it was the 32 panel (hexagon and pentagon) design rather than the classic 18 panel design that they actually used in the matches.

Thing is in those days there wasn't a contract for the entire league - it's whatever the indivdual clubs have a deal with. The adidas clubs in the mid 80s (Liverpool, Man Utd & Arsenal) all used Adidas Tangos, most of the other teams used Mitre Deltas except a few, including us that used Minerva Supremes.

Could only find the 'snow' ball for the Minerva and couldn't find any pics of the classic Mitre Delta apart from a pic of Gary Kelly at Wembley back in 1988.

I remember the Tango one, I think it was part of my Subbuteo set. Minerva defo rings a bell. I think we used to call the leather ones "Size 5's" as well.

I remember the Tango one, I think it was part of my Subbuteo set. Minerva defo rings a bell. I think we used to call the leather ones "Size 5's" as well.

We used to call them "Casers" or however that would be spelled. Nee blastees with the casers but hit it as hard as possible with the penny floaters.

We used to call them "Casers" or however that would be spelled. Nee blastees with the casers but hit it as hard as possible with the penny floaters.

Aye I remember the line of "nee blastees with the casers!" ;)

Size 5 is the size of the standard ball, kids games used to use size 4.

From N-O:

Ours would be:

nufcmitre.jpg

Is almost the correct answer!!! The blue used is slightly darker and the design now has silver stars on it but that photshot job isn't too far away at all.

And before anyone asks 'How do you know?' I'm the guy who has designed it (along with the other 71 FL clubs) ...

Hopefully they'll be selling in the shop!