FourFourTwo - 20 Greatest Managers of British Clubs

Jimbo

Guest alex
The Brazilian 352 or the Dutch 343 have always been my faves.

Only really used that (in terms of the national team) for the first time in 2002 I think and that was pretty 'European' way of playing with two DMs and the emphasis on Cafu and Roberto Carlos getting foward in the wing back position. Fair enough, it allowed Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Rivaldo to play in attacking roles but the classic Brazilian teams with attacking flair always had four at the back.

Only really used that (in terms of the national team) for the first time in 2002 I think and that was pretty 'European' way of playing with two DMs and the emphasis on Cafu and Roberto Carlos getting foward in the wing back position. Fair enough, it allowed Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Rivaldo to play in attacking roles but the classic Brazilian teams with attacking flair always had four at the back.

True.

I've always loved the way that the way the kids are taught their positions at Ajax, carries them right through to the national side.

Guest alex

True.

I've always loved the way that the way the kids are taught their positions at Ajax, carries them right through to the national side.

Thing about Brazil though is that even with four at the back it was all about the full-backs getting forward and it's always been a position held in high esteem there going back to Nilton Santos through to players like Carlos Alberto and Cafu and R. Carlos in more recent times.

True.

Thing about Brazil though is that even with four at the back it was all about the full-backs getting forward and it's always been a position held in high esteem there going back to Nilton Santos through to players like Carlos Alberto and Cafu and R. Carlos in more recent times.

The worst I've seen is the 6 at the back that won Greece the tournament.

When Carlos Alberto scored his famous goal in the 1970 world cup final he did it whilst playing in what would be called today a "wing back" system, alongside 3 centre backs....the next time anyone says "who's ever won anything with 3 at the back?" just tell them probably the greatest team in football history ;)

Guest alex

When Carlos Alberto scored his famous goal in the 1970 world cup final he did it whilst playing in what would be called today a "wing back" system, alongside 3 centre backs....the next time anyone says "who's ever won anything with 3 at the back?" just tell them probably the greatest team in football history ;)

I was under the impression that they played 4-3-3 in that tournament. I thought 3-5-2 with wing-backs came about via Argentina in '86. I suppose different people will theorise differently about these things as the best / most effective formations are fluid rather than rigid.

I was under the impression that they played 4-3-3 in that tournament. I thought 3-5-2 with wing-backs came about via Argentina in '86. I suppose different people will theorise differently about these things as the best / most effective formations are fluid rather than rigid.

You're probably right mate.....I've not got to that chapter in the book, but I did hear Rodney Marsh say it on the box once :lol:

Guest alex

You're probably right mate.....I've not got to that chapter in the book, but I did hear Rodney Marsh say it on the box once :spinwank:

Case closed :spinwank::lol: