Would a RAM upgrade make the difference I hope it would

Andrew

Been considering recently since I found a nice little site for RAM

http://www.mrmemory.co.uk

whether or not to upgrade on my laptop, my main problem is that videos get jerky if i'm doing anything other than watching them and that FM is pretty slow,

I know the FM issue would be better with a change (going from 1gb to the max of 4) but would it make a difference to the video playback or is that more of a graphic/video card issue?

Need a 64bit os to see 4gbs of memory

3gbs is the max for 32bit, but yeah going from 1gb to 2 or more would be noticeable

although i'd suggest springing for a decent brand like corsair or crucial, ram can be quite fickle at times

interesting, I'll do that then but still would it make the difference I want?

also can I pair a 1gb and a 2gb stick in that case without problems?

Edited by Andrew

Add another 1gb stick and give your system a run out.

if theres an improvement - consider buying a further 1gb stick to take you to 3gb.

ram is cheap so what do you have to lose?

if theres an improvement - consider buying a further 1gb stick to take you to 3gb.

my laptop only has two slots and they both have a 512mb in

I thought processors determined your computer speed?

Processors determine what it can do, RAM determines at what speed it does it....

a new processor will probably make the most noticable difference but everything from your rams frequency to the rpm speed of the hard drives to the OS can make a difference to a computers speed.

does your motherboard accept 2gb sticks?

yes, as far as I know...

yes, as far as I know...

Go buy two of them then. As previously mentioned your OS will only utilise 3.5GB, but what's 512MB between friends!

yes, as far as I know...

Go buy two of them then. As previously mentioned your OS will only utilise 3.5GB, but what's 512MB between friends!

about ten quid

Good advice in this thread, but just to throw a couple more sticks on the fire...

As Ant mentioned, if you could somehow replace your video card (you can't), that'd probably net you the most difference, but laptop video cards (and low end desktops) a lot of times will steal some of the RAM to use since they don't have their own dedicated memory (or much of it if they do have dedicated memory). Long story long, adding RAM could help you out on that end even though you're not really addressing the actual bottleneck.

FWIW, doubling (or better) your RAM generally is the most obvious and effective upgrade you can perform on a PC followed closely by new video card and processor.

a new processor will probably make the most noticable difference but everything from your rams frequency to the rpm speed of the hard drives to the OS can make a difference to a computers speed.

Everything in balance. :lol:

yes, as far as I know...

2 x 2gb is probably the way to go, but make absolutely sure (check your manufactures website for your exact model at least) your laptop can take it and it's exactly the right sort of RAM (although being "too fast" probably wouldn't matter).

well i've ordered 3gb worth, I'm not paying an extra tenner for half a gig, I'll report back into this thread with progress once it comes

well i've ordered 3gb worth, I'm not paying an extra tenner for half a gig, I'll report back into this thread with progress once it comes

Is it not dual channel with matched pairs being better? Assuming that still works correctly with only 3.5gb being seen? :lol:

Been considering recently since I found a nice little site for RAM

http://www.mrmemory.co.uk

whether or not to upgrade on my laptop, my main problem is that videos get jerky if i'm doing anything other than watching them and that FM is pretty slow,

I know the FM issue would be better with a change (going from 1gb to the max of 4) but would it make a difference to the video playback or is that more of a graphic/video card issue?

depending on the motherboard / bios your graphics processor may use some of your ram as its graphics memory - in low ram systems this obviously leaves less memory for the OS and programs/applications, therefore maxing out your memory will give more breathing space to the OS and as such it should run smoother and a little faster. If video is jerky when doing other stuff aswell then its possible the computer is swapping things out of the RAM to your virtual memory on the HDD - this will cause the symptoms you mention - therefore more RAM means less swapping out to HDD.

I say max it out - RAM is cheap

well I'd already bought 3gb in the form of a 1 and a 2 gb stick

install was dead easy and my laptop didn't flinch just started up as normal checked system and I've got 2700ish mb coming through which I'm fairly happy with, its made a pretty noticeable difference to everything really there is just no lag between a click and response its ace :unsure:

Nice, and now the important stuff, how is FM running? :unsure:

beautifully, im waiting for the newest weegie later today to get into a good game

Nice, and now the important stuff, how is FM running? :icon_lol:

beautifully, im waiting for the newest weegie later today to get into a good game

Nice, my new PC should be here next week but knowing my luck I'll start a game and we shall go and buy/sell a lot of players as well as get taken over. :unsure:

• 4 months later...