John Hartson

peasepud

Brain and Testicular cancer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ain-cancer.html

The 34-year-old was given the news over the weekend after going to hospital last Friday suffering with horrendous headaches.

According to the Sun, tests were carried out at the Singleton Hospital in Swansea where Hartson was told the news and where the former Arsenal and West Ham player is believed to be starting a course of chemotherapy.

A close friend told the paper: "He told me he had been complaining of having really bad headaches recently. It reached the stage where he felt something was seriously wrong so went to hospital on Friday.

“The doctors did a load of tests and decided to keep him in over the weekend - they have done every scan and test imaginable and diagnosed that he has testicular cancer which has spread up to his brain.

"But the doctors are upbeat about his prospects and chemotherapy will begin right away - big John’s not giving up hope."

Hartson joined Celtic in 2001 after Martin O'Neill signed him from Coventry City for £6 million. Central to the club's success, he helped his side reach the Uefa Cup final in 2005 - the same year he was named the Scottish Football Writers' Player of the Year.

The following season - and his final year in the SPL - Hartson flurry of goals helped his side win the league.

Before his five seasons in Scotland, Hartson played with Arsenal, West Ham and Wimbledon. He finished his career with West Bromwich Albion in February 2008 when he announced his retirement after being released by the club.

Get well soon John.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt testicular cancer treatable in something like 90% - 95% of cases if caught early enough?

Dont know much about the brain cancer side of things though

Any quacks aboot?

isnt testicular cancer treatable in something like 90% - 95% of cases if caught early enough?

Any quacks aboot?

Usually it's easily treated but it's normally localized to the testicles or thereabouts at diagnosis.

Don't know specifically about this case but I'd imagine it must be quite advanced to have caused symptomatic metastases in the brain, sounds like he's been very unlucky. Hopefully he will respond to chemotherapy because that will be his only hope now.

Any quacks aboot?

Usually it's easily treated but it's normally localized to the testicles or thereabouts at diagnosis.

Don't know specifically about this case but I'd imagine it must be quite advanced to have caused symptomatic metastases in the brain, sounds like he's been very unlucky. Hopefully he will respond to chemotherapy because that will be his only hope now.

Aye I know fuck all about cancer, but assume the stuff in his nads had gone unnoticed for a while for it to have spread to his brain. I had a nad scan once -piece of piss tbh, and genuinely not worth being a twat and not going to the doc out of embarrassment etc. They had to build a new ward to house them like but once that was sorted it was no bother.

Any quacks aboot?

Aye I know fuck all about cancer, but assume the stuff in his nads had gone unnoticed for a while for it to have spread to his brain. I had a nad scan once -piece of piss tbh, and genuinely not worth being a twat and not going to the doc out of embarrassment etc. They had to build a new ward to house them like but once that was sorted it was no bother.

It sounds a bit like what Lance Armstrong went through in the mid nineties.....he had testicular cancer which had spread to his brain.....obviously no one is party to the prognosis the JH's doctors have given him, but this really doesn't sound too good for the bloke. Any cancer that has spread i.e. not been caught early is obviously not a good thing. But Armstrong's story shows that you can pull through and in his case acheive incredible things. Best of luck to JH.

Guest Stevie
Was the only decent pundit on Setanta so therefore I wish him a sucessfull and speedy recovery! :unsure:

I've said this before and it's true. Seems like a good bloke. Hope he gets through it.

Any quacks aboot?

It sounds a bit like what Lance Armstrong went through in the mid nineties.....he had testicular cancer which had spread to his brain.....obviously no one is party to the prognosis the JH's doctors have given him, but this really doesn't sound too good for the bloke. Any cancer that has spread i.e. not been caught early is obviously not a good thing. But Armstrong's story shows that you can pull through and in his case acheive incredible things. Best of luck to JH.

Been there, done that, got the plastic nut to prove it (although I always wanted a magic eight ball instead that I would whip out in the pub but the quack was having none of it)

Do they provide the plastic one as standard or do you have to ask for it? Like if you didn't say anything would thy bother giving you the fake one? Also how does the fake one not just go walkabout in your scrot? Is it locked in place?

Do they provide the plastic one as standard or do you have to ask for it? Like if you didn't say anything would thy bother giving you the fake one? Also how does the fake one not just go walkabout in your scrot? Is it locked in place?

think they sew it in place... otherwise it'd float around....

Scary stuff

Scary stuff indeed and to learn and understand stuff about cancer can be overwheming. I'm far from being an authority but have had two associations with the Big C and know a little about it.

Brain cancer is rarely the primary source, more often it has metastasised from some other primary source in the body. (I had a brain tumour in 1993 and it was primary, didn't come fom somewhere else and didn't go anywhere else)

Most cancers can and often will metastasise to the brain.(my wife died last year from breast cancer which had found its way to the brain.

Brain cancer is often miscalled, if you have breast cancer, lung cancer, or testicular cancer, and it travels to the brain and you die you have not died from brain cancer, you have died from the primary source.

Cancer which has travelled to the brain is not easily treated with chemotherapy as there is something known as a 'blood brain barrier' which stops chemicals from being able to pass to the brain. The brain is somewhat of a safe haven for cancer because of this barrier.

Testicular cancer is sensitive to, and easily treated with chemotherapy but if it travels to the brain that's a different story.

Sorry to hear that Noelie.

I know very little as well but as it has spread from testicles to brain - will other organs on the way not become infected as well ?

Possibly but not necessarily. For some reason the brain seems to be an easy target for things other than cancer.

They mentioned a fake one and I asked for one that flashed colours when you squeezed it, I got a right bollocking (excuse the pun) for not taking cancer seriously, but it was my way of dealing with it

it was sewn in place but I ripped it free when I went snowboarding and came up short doing a backside 360, now it wanders round of its own accord, which can be highly amusing in the bedroom, you really can get your back wheels in :icon_lol:

They mentioned a fake one and I asked for one that flashed colours when you squeezed it, I got a right bollocking (excuse the pun) for not taking cancer seriously, but it was my way of dealing with it

it was sewn in place but I ripped it free when I went snowboarding and came up short doing a backside 360, now it wanders round of its own accord, which can be highly amusing in the bedroom, you really can get your back wheels in :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: Quality!

:icon_lol: Quality!

mate the stories I have about that period of my life are just bizare :icon_lol: