'Grass' or 'Grarse'

TheMoog

Just had a heated discussion in my office over the pronunciation of words like 'Grass'. Other than my boss and me they all say 'Grarse', my boss is from Nottingham, I'm from Lincolnshire and the rest of them are from Cambridgeshire or further south. I thought I'd won the debate when they all got flustered because I got them to pronounce some other words, ending up with if their logic was sound they'd say 'Marsturbart'... then one of the snottier tarts started going on about silent letters in words.

... I know you guys would class me as a southerner but seriously, I'm not a patch on the real down south lot.

Just had a heated discussion in my office over the pronunciation of words like 'Grass'. Other than my boss and me they all say 'Grarse', my boss is from Nottingham, I'm from Lincolnshire and the rest of them are from Cambridgeshire or further south. I thought I'd won the debate when they all got flustered because I got them to pronounce some other words, ending up with if their logic was sound they'd say 'Marsturbart'... then one of the snottier tarts started going on about silent letters in words.

... I know you guys would class me as a southerner but seriously, I'm not a patch on the real down south lot.

I'd class you as a yokel if that helps.

If there's any yokeling to be done, it'll be done here, ok ?

:icon_lol:

Uber-yokel-tastic. :icon_lol:

Time for another episode of Pimp my Tractor tbh.

Tractor or Traaaa-turrr?

To be fair we talk in terms of brands rather than general terms.

In Suffolk the John Deere is king.

Tractor or Traaaa-turrr?

My knowledge of tractors extends to Red, Green or Blue!

Tractor or Traaaa-turrr?

I just know of the pro and con ones.

Tractor or Traaaa-turrr?

I just know of the pro and con ones.

I had this exact discussion with a bloke in my office last Friday. He says "Grarse", but he is a Sunderland fan who lived most of his life in London. I explained it was "Grass", but he was having none of it, so I told him that as he was a cockney mackem, he was a cock and his opinion was irrelevant.

Bath or Barth?

Pronunciation is lercal, innit, there's no right or wrong. The good folk of Birmingham are convinced the rest of the world "talk funn-ay". My old English teacher told me the English of the Canterbury Tales sounds very much like Glaswegian. If he was telling the truth then it's the rest of us who are out of step.

Bath or Barth?

Pronunciation is lercal, innit, there's no right or wrong.

I'm a great believer that proper nouns should never be "translated" - I think we should refer to Germany as Deutschland etc and I'd probably extend that to the place of Bath though reluctantly .

However I would still pronounce bath as in bathroom as bath.

No I'm sure you're not! :D

I'm a 'real' Southerner and I say Grass