Blackburn Rovers ready to move for Alan Smith

TheMoog

NEWCASTLE United could be offered the chance to reduce their wage bill by former boss Sam Allardyce.

The Chronicle understands that the Blackburn Rovers boss is keen on offering Alan Smith a top-flight lifeline.

Stoke City manager Tony Pulis also ran the rule over Smith last month but was put off by the former England international’s wage of £60,000 per week, while Everton have also been in the hunt for the ex-Leeds man in the last 12 months.

However, Big Sam, who must cut his cloth accordingly at Ewood Park, may offer to pay a percentage of his salary in a season-long loan deal in order to ease the financial nightmare facing the Magpies due to relegation to the Championship.

Indeed, with some Championship players earning a fraction of the astronomical wages of the Toon players, managing director Derek Llambias must be braced for a potential finance meltdown should the club not be sold and if the Magpies were to fail to gain promotion at the first attempt.

And offloading some of United’s big earners is the only way to avoid such a catastrophic situation, with nobody at St James’s Park having a contract that stipulates a wage reduction in the event of United being relegated.

Allardyce was the man who signed Smith for Newcastle back in 2007 for £6m from Manchester United, and he remains an admirer of the one-time striker who has become a midfield battler during his time on Tyneside.

Smith still has three years left to run on the five-year deal he signed two years ago but has yet to score for the Magpies in a competitive fixture.

Since joining United his international career has also been put on hold, with his last cap coming in the 1-0 win in Austria under Steve McClaren in 2007.

And with Newcastle now playing second-tier football, there would be little chance of an England revival, meaning Smith would have to consider the step back up to the top level.

Fears that Newcastle will not be sold in time for the start of the Championship season were intensifying today as the takeover saga continued at a lethargic pace.

Mike Ashley’s PR man, Jonathon Brill, claimed the sale was a work in progress.

He said: “There are a number of interested parties and there are no deadlines imposed by anybody.”

However, while fans wait anxiously to see if under-pressure Keith Harris and his team at Seymour Pierce can find a buyer before the season begins, there was no positive update from United today.

A United spokesman said: “I’m afraid there is no further news regarding the sale of the club.”

£60,000 , hard life eh Alan :D

Don't let the door... etc etc

On another note, Ashley has a PR man!?!?! REALLY!!! a twat surrounded by twats by all accounts then, fucking hell. And who was todays United spokesmen then? a short oranged faced fella 'no news today sorry' It's like Willy wankers secret football factory in there!

Edited by JUICE690

it’s all lies, no one can leave yet:

link

Agent: No toon exodus until embargo is lifted

Author: Nigel Brown

Posted on: 16 July 2009 - 12:17

Newcastle United are not allowing any member of their squad to leave St.James' Park until the future of the club and management is concluded. Speaking exclusively to Sport.co.uk, Alex Black, the agent of Toon forward Alan Smith, revealed there is an embargo on transfer dealings at the North East giants until the crisis at the boardroom level is resolved.

Speaking to Sport.co.uk Editor Nigel Brown, Black said:

“Nothing has changed at this moment in time regarding Alan Smith. It is exactly as it was. To be honest there is no point even worrying about it. Newcastle United have put a sort of embargo on any players moving in or out of the club until the situation is resolved in terms of ownership.

“So, what can you do until that is sorted out? There is no point worrying about it as it is in Newcastle's hands.”

Alan Smith has been previously linked with Stoke City, Portsmouth and Balckburn Rovers this summer.

Another one of those players that we've managed to sign at the precise point in time when they ceased being of any use whatsoever as footballers whilst still commanding insanely high transfer fees and wages....Although I think even at his best Smith was overrated.

Smith wasn't much good at manure either so SAF can join the queue. At least he got his money back I suppose.

His red nose must have lit up like a beacon when he took the call from SA. :D

Much is made of what a good honest lad he's meant to be. Aye, righto. Let's see if he takes a pay cut (because no one else will give him anywhere near that, he'll be very lucky to get half) as penance for his sins (or rather doing sweet Fanny Adams) during his time here. I doubt it, somehow. Hasn't got 3 years of his 5 year deal left as well? Fucking hell :D

Another one of those players that we've managed to sign at the precise point in time when they ceased being of any use whatsoever as footballers whilst still commanding insanely high transfer fees and wages....Although I think even at his best Smith was overrated.

Massively overrated.

I know we're desperate for strikers, but I'd rather buy Leo Fortune-West than Smith! At least Leo will be cheap shit. I'm not too sure if this has legs in it, but if he does move to Ewood Park I think we will certtainly be programming Plymouth, Nottingham Forest etc. into the sat-nav.

lazy lazy journalists.

the idea of him signing for us disgusts me and i dare say all rovers fans, BUT i think all rovers fans can see he actually would'nt get a game ahead of any of our current players and when the chairman regularly states 5m needs to come off the wages and the manager says only players that will improve the 1st 11 will be signed............it all just screams slow news day. thank fuck.

wish people in the tabloids would drum up interest in our shite players

I know we're desperate for strikers, but I'd rather buy Leo Fortune-West than Smith! At least Leo will be cheap shit. I'm not too sure if this has legs in it, but if he does move to Ewood Park I think we will certtainly be programming Plymouth, Nottingham Forest etc. into the sat-nav.

off topic but was fortune west the one that played for gillingham whose team mates said shaved his nut sack in the shower after games, or am i thinking of some other lower league legend wayne allison type whose name escapes me.

lazy lazy journalists.

the idea of him signing for us disgusts me and i dare say all rovers fans, BUT i think all rovers fans can see he actually would'nt get a game ahead of any of our current players and when the chairman regularly states 5m needs to come off the wages and the manager says only players that will improve the 1st 11 will be signed............it all just screams slow news day. thank fuck.

wish people in the tabloids would drum up interest in our shite players

The trouble is that your manager actually rates him, so he might well sign him to 'improve the first eleven.' Scary stuff. You'd best pray there's no legs in this rather than dismissing it out of hand.

off topic but was fortune west the one that played for gillingham whose team mates said shaved his nut sack in the shower after games, or am i thinking of some other lower league legend wayne allison type whose name escapes me.

He did play at Gillingham, but I'm not sure about the scrotum shaving. Never heard that story.

Much is made of what a good honest lad he's meant to be. Aye, righto. Let's see if he takes a pay cut (because no one else will give him anywhere near that, he'll be very lucky to get half) as penance for his sins (or rather doing sweet Fanny Adams) during his time here. I doubt it, somehow. Hasn't got 3 years of his 5 year deal left as well? Fucking hell :D

Good point, I couldn't believe we paid £6M for him in the first place, even before his injury at Anfield he was overated, no wonder Fergie likes Big Sam.

An American Mag I know spotted him in Florida about a week or so after our relegation, when I say he spotted him, he couldn't miss him as he was trying to tap his lass as he came out of the bog, when Smith realised the Yank was not only her boyfriend but knew who he was and was also a Mag as well he was less than impressed, the US Mag would have liked to give me more detail on Smith's exact patter but said his accent was 'thick as hell'. Anyway, the moral of the story was, he couldn't score for the Toon, and he didn't score with the lass. :icon_lol: