Gateshead fans

Guest Stevie

Guest Stevie

I was reading a thread on the SMB board the other day, and it appears old time Gateshead fans absolutely hate Newcastle United, and the reason for the hatred also resulted in the previously unheard of Gateshead support of Sunderland. The reasons behind the hatred are quite intriguing. In the 1960's Gateshead FC had to apply to the football league to retain their league status, and a select number of clubs were said to be part of the voting procedure.

Each of these clubs got a vote. Anyway it transpired that the whole North East was behind Gateshead's bid to retain league standing, apart from Newcastle United. Here comes where the hatred of NUFC comes in. Gateshead lost their vote by 1 club, and NUFC voted for them to be removed from the football league. Two reasons have been given for this, the board didn't want any competition for the fanbase, and two the club who took Gateshead's place owed the toon money, and league status would give them more scope to pay it back.

Gateshead applied along with Southport (applying for the third year running and the seventh time in total), Oldham (applying for the second year running) and Hartlepool (applying for the fourth time). Gateshead had no reason to believe they were at risk, but the Football League failed to re-elect Gateshead.

Apparently the hardcore old timer GFC following hate NUFC with a passion, and a huge percentage of their old support went to the mackems instead, as the nearest Durham club.

Does anyone know any old timer GFC fans who can support this?

Edited by Stevie

Aye, I've heard this before, loads of times off different people. I reckon it's true like, it's certainly interesting.

Having said that, I honestly couldn't give a shit to be honest. I have no ties to Gateshead at all.

I can't speak for all Gateshead fans, but I've never come across a Heed fan who absolutely detests Newcastle United (unless they're also a Sunderland fan). There are some who only support Gateshead and therefore have no real affection for either Newcastle United or Sunderland.

As Gateshead is mainly made up of support for NUFC and some SAFC, we draw fans from both clubs as their second club. In general both sets mix well at the International Stadium under the banner of supporting Gateshead (The Newcastle v Sunderland politics are left at home for 90 minutes).

As for getting voted out the league, I've read about Newcastle voting for Hartlepool as they owed NUFC money (if they got voted out the league then they'd likely never see it again). That season (1960) Gateshead finished 3rd bottom of the old 4th Division. The 4 bottom clubs had to be re-elected to the league in a five way vote, including non-league applicants Peterborough United. The voting breakdown was:

Oldham got 39 votes, Peterborough got 35 votes, Hartlepools got 34 votes, Southport got 29 votes and Gateshead got 18 votes.

In conclusion one extra vote (whilst nice to be supported by your next door neighbour) wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome.

On the bright side, now we're back in the Conference and getting our own ground, hopefully we're only a few years away from being back in the Football League. :rolleyes:

Is there any further news on the new ground, Heedtastic? I know it's been in the offing for a year or two now but I haven't heard much from the club about location/dates.

There was a rumour at the backend of last season that it'd be announced around the start of this season. It was mentioned in the pre-season programme against Huddersfield that the new ground was to be part of the NewcastleGateshead 2018 World Cup bid as a training venue (also with the International Stadium). The Gateshead Chairman and vice-Chairman are part of that bid team.

So hopefully we may hear something within the next month.

Guest Stevie
Is there any further news on the new ground, Heedtastic? I know it's been in the offing for a year or two now but I haven't heard much from the club about location/dates.

There was a rumour at the backend of last season that it'd be announced around the start of this season. It was mentioned in the pre-season programme against Huddersfield that the new ground was to be part of the NewcastleGateshead 2018 World Cup bid as a training venue (also with the International Stadium). The Gateshead Chairman and vice-Chairman are part of that bid team.

You should have it where the old ground beside the pitz. There's enough land there to develop as well.

Another good reason to vote for our bid!

You should have it where the old ground beside the pitz. There's enough land there to develop as well.

The fans and the club want to be in/near to Gateshead town centre, a bit like St. James' is to Newcastle city centre. Luckily the council appear to want this too, as they're looking to invest/revitalise the town centre (even attempting to get city status in the future). This is why it's taken a couple of years for the club to acquire the land for the ground.

Redheugh Park (The Pitz 5-a-side place) is as far from the town centre as the International Stadium, and has worse transport links. Apparently it was investigated as a possibility, and ruled out.

The fans and the club want to be in/near to Gateshead town centre, a bit like St. James' is to Newcastle city centre. Luckily the council appear to want this too, as they're looking to invest/revitalise the town centre (even attempting to get city status in the future). This is why it's taken a couple of years for the club to acquire the land for the ground.

Redheugh Park (The Pitz 5-a-side place) is as far from the town centre as the International Stadium, and has worse transport links. Apparently it was investigated as a possibility, and ruled out.

I heard the site of the old cricket ground in Bensham because of the closeness to the Bus/Metro Interchange. Heard anything about that?

I heard the site of the old cricket ground in Bensham because of the closeness to the Bus/Metro Interchange. Heard anything about that?

That's what I've been told. By a few people as well, just opposite the Civic centre, decent amount of space and good links!

That's what I've been told. By a few people as well, just opposite the Civic centre, decent amount of space and good links!

Good news for me since I used to get in that place all the time as a kid. There is literally no sneaky way in through fences that I didn't find. I'd like to see them keep me out.

Good news for me since I used to get in that place all the time as a kid. There is literally no sneaky way in through fences that I didn't find. I'd like to see them keep me out.

:rolleyes:

I used to play footy there a few years ago with my mates, I'd defo get to a few games like if it's moved there.

The re-election didn't happen because clubs saw the opportunity to get rid of the furthest north club to cut down on travel costs. I think the Football League had just introduced Division 4 instead of the old Division 3 North and South so that meant longer journeys. Absolutely scandalous system whereby a team who finished 4th bottom (or 3rd bottom in this instance) could be kicked out the league in place sides finishing below them.

:rolleyes: It's always nice to get a freebie every now and then!

That's one of the two places mentioned on this website - North Durham Cricket Ground. The other next to the town centre is just on the other side of the bypass/flyover thingy from the town centre.

I'm hoping it's the old North Durham one too. It'd be ideal to just get the bus/metro into the Interchage, have a few drinks in the town then walk up to the ground for kick off. Plus I'd imagine the new ground will have some sort of club house open most days of the week, so that location would be ideal.

I can't speak for all Gateshead fans, but I've never come across a Heed fan who absolutely detests Newcastle United (unless they're also a Sunderland fan).

Oldham got 39 votes, Peterborough got 35 votes, Hartlepools got 34 votes, Southport got 29 votes and Gateshead got 18 votes.

In conclusion one extra vote (whilst nice to be supported by your next door neighbour) wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome.

Raised up in Bensham and at an early age was a Gateshead supporter until I switched to the Toon. Never ever heard anything about a Newcastle vote being responsible for sinking Gateshead into non-league football.

No old Gateshead supporters can forget that Cup run in 1952-53 when they put Crewe(2-0), Bradford Park Avenue(2-1), Liverpool(1-0), Hull City(2-1), Plymouth Argyle(2-1) to the sword. Sadly losing to Bolton Wanderers(1-0) on a Nat Lofthouse goal.