How far was yesterday away from....

Howaythelads

...our best team?

I think there were only 3 players missing from yesterdays team that some may debate could (on paper) improve the side. Carr, Boumsong and Luque.

Carr was good for a couple of seasons at Spurs, then actually excellent for one season when he looked like the best right back in the division at that time. He got that bad injury and we signed him, I don't think he'll ever be that good again, so is Ramage an inferior player? Maybe, but not by much, at least defensively. I don't think Carr is really missed that much.

Boumsong has been poor this season. Could be a blip, like. Maybe Bramble/Taylor is a better partnership anyway, and that's important for centre backs. Is Boumsong missed much? I doubt it.

Luque hasn't played enough yet for anybody to make a judgement of how he'll perform in this league. But let's assume he's better than Zog. On that basis, I'd say Luque may have been the only player missing yesterday who might have made a difference.

So, from 4th, 3rd and 5th plus £50m spent we saw almost a full strength team yesterday of...

Given

Ramage, Bramble, Taylor, Babayaro

Solano, Parker, Emre, Zog

Shearer, Owen.

Put Luque in for Zog and that's about it, I reckon.

Scary stuff, iibafhwe.

Edited by Howaythelads

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...our best team?

I think there were only 3 players missing from yesterdays team that some may debate could (on paper) improve the side. Carr, Boumsong and Luque.

Carr was good for a couple of seasons at Spurs, then actually excellent for one season when he looked like the best right back in the division at that time. He got that bad injury and we signed him,  I don't think he'll ever be that good again, so is Ramage an inferior player? Maybe, but not by much, at least defensively. I don't think Carr is really missed that much.

Boumsong has been poor this season. Could be a blip, like. Maybe Bramble/Taylor is a better partnership anyway, and that's important for centre backs. Is Boumsong missed much? I doubt it.

Luque hasn't played enough yet for anybody to make a judgement of how he'll perform in this league. But let's assume he's better than Zog. On that basis, I'd say Luque may have been the only player missing yesterday who might have made a difference.

So, from 4th, 3rd and 5th plus £50m spent we saw almost a full strength team yesterday of...

Given

Shearer, Owen.

Scary stuff, iibafhwe.

53056[/snapback]

You what ?

Anyway, we said this after the game. All of fuckwits signing played yesterday, bar Luque. Who doesn't look much like a Tony Green to me ....

You what ?

Anyway, we said this after the game. All of fuckwits signing played yesterday, bar Luque. Who doesn't look much like a Tony Green to me ....

53074[/snapback]

58 views but not much comment. :rimshot: Obviously peple don't want to face up to the truth that the club has been forced into huge expenditure by Mr Souness, while being taken backwards. iibafhwea, tbh.

Edited by Howaythelads

You what ?

53074[/snapback]

58 views but not much comment. :rimshot: Obviously peple don't want to face up to the truth that the club has been forced into huge expenditure by Mr Souness, while being taken backwards. iibafhwea, tbh.

53087[/snapback]

which was all so predictable, without needing a crystal ball either

53087[/snapback]

Perhaps people don't want to disagree with you incase you threaten to give them a wedgie behind the bike sheds.

You what ?

53074[/snapback]

53087[/snapback]

Basically I'm the acronym king and you're not.

...our best team?

Carr was good for a couple of seasons at Spurs, then actually excellent for one season when he looked like the best right back in the division at that time. He got that bad injury and we signed him,  I don't think he'll ever be that good again, so is Ramage an inferior player? Maybe, but not by much, at least defensively. I don't think Carr is really missed that much.

Given

Shearer, Owen.

Scary stuff, iibafhwe.

53056[/snapback]

Watching them yesterday it wasn't pretty but imo Solano was quiet as was Emre and these are players that we need to perform in order to make the team tick. Hopefully they'll click shortly but i have to admit if it doesn't happen shortly it's looking ver scary.

Edited by Wacky Jnr

53087[/snapback]

Perhaps people don't want to disagree with you incase you threaten to give them a wedgie behind the bike sheds.

53099[/snapback]

:tumbleweed:

Here we go again. Dum di dum di dum dum.

I take it you're another joker who believes it's fine to abuse/insult people, and then get ridiculously self righteous when somebody retaliates? Do you go around in person insulting people? No, I bet you don't. But it's ok when it's not face to face, is that what you believe?

Anyway, I'd prefer to talk about football, which is what I was doing in this thread before you childishly sidetracked it.

The lack of response is to do with an inability from anyone to back up a contrary position. There is simply no argument, is there? Unless you think that the team yesterday was short of loads of first choice players? Is that what you think? No, I don't think you do. You wouldn't be able to back that up.

People should be worried. £50 million is a lot of cash if we don't go on to qualify for Europe to get some of it back.

Edited by Howaythelads

Can't argue with that. It was virtually a full-strength team, with the exception of Luque, Dyer and a quality right-back. The only thing you could say in defence of Souness is that his players haven't had time to gel yet, but I'm not sure about that. Hopefully he can use the international break to work on that. It was absolutely vital to pick up three points yesterday and it's good to see us go on a little run, but it's worth keeping in mind that it's certainly been a very easy run of games recently and if performances don't improve soon, we won't win too many games between now and Christmas.

I hope he plays Luque up front when he gets back - if he doesn't, we need a new striker in January.

17 points from the last 8 games against mostly poor teams.

How many will be added until the end of the year?

Chelsea (a)

Everton (a)

Villa (h)

Arsenal (h)

West Ham (a)

Liverpool (a)

Charlton (h)

Spurs (a)

17 points from the last 8 games against mostly poor teams.

How many will be added until the end of the year?

Chelsea (a)

Everton (a)

Villa (h)

Arsenal (h)

West Ham (a)

Liverpool (a)

Charlton (h)

Spurs (a)

53144[/snapback]

The fixture list looks worse than I remembered and it certainly puts the last few results into perspective. I really can't see us pick up a lot of points from those games.

53087[/snapback]

53099[/snapback]

I take it you're another joker who believes it's fine to abuse/insult people, and then get ridiculously self righteous when somebody retaliates? Do you go around in person insulting people? No, I bet you don't. But it's ok when it's not face to face, is that what you believe?

Anyway, I'd prefer to talk about football, which is what I was doing in this thread before you childishly sidetracked it.

The lack of response is to do with an inability from anyone to back up a contrary position. There is simply no argument, is there? Unless you think that the team yesterday was short of loads of first choice players? Is that what you think? No, I don't think you do. You wouldn't be able to back that up.

People should be worried. £50 million is a lot of cash if we don't go on to qualify for Europe to get some of it back.

53129[/snapback]

Humour bypass tbh.

As was pointed out to you the other day, we like the banter on here. I would say the laughs/craic are more important than the football chat to a lot of us.

You, on the other hand find banter (in your own words) "insulting and abusive". So why do you come here? Clearly you don't like a lot of us, and you're hardly flavour of the month yourself.

53087[/snapback]

53099[/snapback]

53129[/snapback]

Humour bypass tbh.

As was pointed out to you the other day, we like the banter on here. I would say the laughs/craic are more important than the football chat to a lot of us.

You, on the other hand find banter (in your own words) "insulting and abusive". So why do you come here? Clearly you don't like a lot of us, and you're hardly flavour of the month yourself.

53151[/snapback]

Err, what a load of bollocks. Where was the banter or joke in your post?

Glad you admit that you don't give a shite about the football cluib. Here's a suggestion, don't bother reading any threads in the football section.

Glad you admit that you don't give a shite about the football cluib. Here's a suggestion, don't bother reading any threads in the football section.

53159[/snapback]

:rimshot::tumbleweed::angry: Jesus wept.

I've highlighted the banter for you this time incase you missed it.

Since when has enjoying a laugh meant you don't give a shite about the club? I don't see how the two could be mutually exclusive??

53159[/snapback]

:rimshot::tumbleweed::angry: Jesus wept.

I've highlighted the banter for you this time incase you missed it.

Since when has enjoying a laugh meant you don't give a shite about the club? I don't see how the two could be mutually exclusive??

53169[/snapback]

Well looks pretty serious to me! :angry:

Could have sworn we won yesterday like. We didn't blow them away but they came for a nil-nil and they nearly got it......nearly, but not quite. Shit game, not a great performance, but 3 points on the board.

Still, if you're happier twisting after 4 wins on the bounce......

Oh and nice comment from the Doc. :D

Could have sworn we won yesterday like.  We didn't blow them away but they came for a nil-nil and they nearly got it......nearly, but not quite.  Shit game, not a great performance, but 3 points on the board.

53185[/snapback]

renewed optimism last heard when winning 8 games or whatever against pub teams last season. Not too far away from the mentioned 4 wins, against poor teams, all of whom had grounds for feeling they at least matched us, or looking at it the other way round, we were as bad as them.

And unfortunately, we still aren't in the top 4/5 position we were in before Souness arrived.

The post from isegrim is good reading.

Edited by LeazesMag

Could have sworn we won yesterday like.  We didn't blow them away but they came for a nil-nil and they nearly got it......nearly, but not quite.  Shit game, not a great performance, but 3 points on the board.

53185[/snapback]

renewed optimism last heard when winning 8 games or whatever against pub teams last season. Not too far away from the mentioned 4 wins, against poor teams, all of whom had grounds for feeling they at least matched us, or looking at it the other way round, we were as bad as them.

And unfortunately, we still aren't in the top 4/5 position we were in before Souness arrived.

The post from isegrim is good reading.

53191[/snapback]

3 points off 4th tbh.

6 Clean sheets on a row now. :D

53160[/snapback]

Fuck me with a lamp pole and I was pretty sure I had seen the mackems score twice...

53196[/snapback]

Lamp pole. :D

53201[/snapback]

:D

It was the largest pole I could think of for this kind of nonsense.

Anyway, I'd like to get the kind of optimism other do have. Of course results are great at the moment. But for me just winning against the likes of WBA isn't good enough (I haven't seen that game). It's the same as last year when we beat Israeli pub tems etc. But with a nearly full squad struggling against Birmingham and being played off the pitch by Sunderland in the 2nd half is worrying even if in the end the games were won.

53185[/snapback]

:D I see sheep again.

Can't see the big picture, can you, Gemmill? Neither can your 'friend' by the sound of it.