How far was yesterday away from....

Howaythelads

I'd also add tht the comparisons with the past are based on 2, 3 or 4 seasons. Now that Souness has "his team" I think he should at least get more than 3 or 4 games to be judged. Last season imo should be written off and the slate wiped clean.

53633[/snapback]

Eh? 3 or 4 games? Is that a typo, or what?

53639[/snapback]

3 or 4 games in the context of "his full team" as you emphasised in this thread.

53642[/snapback]

Oh right. I wondered if that's what you meant but I wasn't sure because to be honest I thought you'd prefer to give him to the end of the season. Is that not the case?

For myself, I'd boot him out this minute if I was FS.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have sworn we won yesterday like.  We didn't blow them away but they came for a nil-nil and they nearly got it......nearly, but not quite.  Shit game, not a great performance, but 3 points on the board.

Still, if you're happier twisting after 4 wins on the bounce......

Oh and nice comment from the Doc. :D

53185[/snapback]

renewed optimism last heard when winning 8 games or whatever against pub teams last season. Not too far away from the mentioned 4 wins, against poor teams, all of whom had grounds for feeling they at least matched us, or looking at it the other way round, we were as bad as them.

And unfortunately, we still aren't in the top 4/5 position we were in before Souness arrived.

The post from isegrim is good reading.

53191[/snapback]

3 points off 4th tbh.

53195[/snapback]

3 points off 3rd actually...! :D

Some people will never be satisfied. I guess they'd be happier if we played 'pretty football' and got thumped 3-0 :D

53413[/snapback]

it's as Alex said. Winning [against poor teams] is of course alright, but your peformance gives you the guide to whether or not you will continue winning, when you play better teams.

And, in my opinion, we won't. Therefore, as we won more often under Bobby Robson than Souness, and Souness has had 50m to improve his SQUAD, he's a fuckwit and a failure.

I thought you'd prefer to give him to the end of the season. Is that not the case?

For myself, I'd boot him out this minute if I was FS.

53645[/snapback]

Yes I'm an "end of this season" man. I would however take this "entertainment" factor everyone is discussing into account. Thats why I was unhappy with Bobby's last full season as that factor was piss poor imo.

Booting him out now comes down to previous arguments - unless it was for Hitzfeld or similar its pointless in my view - We'd just get a Bruce.

Re: the West Brom game, I thought we played quite well. In the first half we weren't great but we were the better side. In the second half, in the last 25 minutes or so we played some really good stuff. However, what worried me was the way we played after we went 1-0 up. We were unable to keep the ball and this heaped pressure on the defence. Unfortunately, I thought the defence folded a bit under this pressure with Earnshaw missing two sitters (one from a ball played in from the right and the other being Given's wonder save). This was a crucial stage of the game and I thought we got lucky and 'got away with it'.

I do agree with the points from NJS about the team needing time to gel though but the time is limited as Souness will be judged (rightly) on where we finish this season.

Re: the West Brom game, I thought we played quite well. In the first half we weren't great but we were the better side. In the second half, in the last 25 minutes or so we played some really good stuff. However, what worried me was the way we played after we went 1-0 up. We were unable to keep the ball and this heaped pressure on the defence. Unfortunately, I thought the defence folded a bit under this pressure with Earnshaw missing two sitters (one from a ball played in from the right and the other being Given's wonder save). This was a crucial stage of the game and I thought we got lucky and 'got away with it'.

I do agree with the points from NJS about the team needing time to gel though but the time is limited as Souness will be judged (rightly) on where we finish this season.

53723[/snapback]

I think that was a confidence thing though Alex - the team "know" they have a record of not holding leads and that makes them nervous - hopefully the few wins will help that.

Yeah I can accept that like. I think you could argue the same thing about the Mackem game. When we were level we looked the better side but the nerves got to us every time we had the lead.

Yeah I can accept that like. I think you could argue the same thing about the Mackem game. When we were level we looked the better side but the nerves got to us every time we had the lead.

53728[/snapback]

We should play great against Chelsea then. :D

53728[/snapback]

54087[/snapback]

We'll murder them for the first two minutes.

53728[/snapback]

54087[/snapback]

We'll murder them for the first two minutes.

54089[/snapback]

Can't agree with that, total load of bollocks! I reckon 1 minute max.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mean to drag up the past but selected highlights from this thread.....

That is a match that last season or the season before even, we'd have lost 1-0 or drew 0-0. Just 3 points off the top 3 now, joint 2nd with Chelsea in the recent form guide, one of the best defensive records in the country, yet still people post negative stuff.

Get a grip.

53270[/snapback]

This thread has made it quite obvious that some people paint us in a bad light and want us to fail just for an excuse to hate Souness. To be perfectly honest I hate the mans guts and would love to see him and his 'proper' backroom staff given the boot but we are winning - It may not be pretty but we're doing it and that is all that matters. If we'd manage to grab a win against Wist 'Am we'd be top four ffs!

Lets just for once enjoy the results and remain blissfully ignorant of what is going on behind the scenes at the club because this run of form probably wont last much longer.

53361[/snapback]

I'd rather there was optimism on here than all that cobblers about being relegated that you have to endure on NO (Wullie is a canny lad, but I don't miss having to read his posts tbh :lol: ).  I don't think we'll get into the Champions League, but it is a matter of fact that we are currently 3 points from a CL spot, and given our start to the season, I'm quite happy with that at the minute.

53402[/snapback]

3 points off 3rd actually...! :icon_lol:

Some people will never be satisfied. I guess they'd be happier if we played 'pretty football' and got thumped 3-0  :lol:

53413[/snapback]

So how far was today from where we should be?

;)

That is a match that last season or the season before even, we'd have lost 1-0 or drew 0-0. Just 3 points off the top 3 now, joint 2nd with Chelsea in the recent form guide, one of the best defensive records in the country, yet still people post negative stuff.

Get a grip.

53270[/snapback]

This thread has made it quite obvious that some people paint us in a bad light and want us to fail just for an excuse to hate Souness. To be perfectly honest I hate the mans guts and would love to see him and his 'proper' backroom staff given the boot but we are winning - It may not be pretty but we're doing it and that is all that matters. If we'd manage to grab a win against Wist 'Am we'd be top four ffs!

Lets just for once enjoy the results and remain blissfully ignorant of what is going on behind the scenes at the club because this run of form probably wont last much longer.

53361[/snapback]

I'd rather there was optimism on here than all that cobblers about being relegated that you have to endure on NO (Wullie is a canny lad, but I don't miss having to read his posts tbh :lol: ).  I don't think we'll get into the Champions League, but it is a matter of fact that we are currently 3 points from a CL spot, and given our start to the season, I'm quite happy with that at the minute.

53402[/snapback]

Some people will never be satisfied. I guess they'd be happier if we played 'pretty football' and got thumped 3-0  :lol:

53413[/snapback]

;)

61664[/snapback]

Skol's the odd one out there - the other three are confirmed optimists and I think generally pro-Souness.

Another question - when was the last time we beat a decent team in the league?

Get a grip.

53270[/snapback]

53361[/snapback]

53402[/snapback]

53413[/snapback]

;)

61664[/snapback]

Skol's the odd one out there - the other three are confirmed optimists and I think generally pro-Souness.

Another question - when was the last time we beat a decent team in the league?

61666[/snapback]

When was the last time one of our players was in the team of the week?

Are the miserablistas enjoying themselves? :lol:

61668[/snapback]

Seriously, what's that supposed to mean?

In fairness, I don't really give a toss anymore, hence the fact I'm posting more on general chat than on here. Everythiing's been said several times, even people like you Gemmill are slowly dawning on the fact we are basically crap. We're in limbo, and will be until we get rid of Souness.

Now, instead of wasting money on Everton away, I decided to spend it on the Franz Ferdinand concert instead. Right decision I think, see you later. :lol:

61668[/snapback]

61670[/snapback]

Nowt man, you puff. :lol: I just threw it out there to see if it got a reaction.

Enjoy Busted-for-twentysomethings. :icon_lol:

61668[/snapback]

61670[/snapback]

Nowt man, you puff. :icon_lol: I just threw it out there to see if it got a reaction.

Enjoy Busted-for-twentysomethings. ;)

61674[/snapback]

Oh Franz Ferdinand are uncool then? :lol:

This from the man that has seen Coldplay several times! :icon_lol:

61668[/snapback]

61670[/snapback]

Nowt man, you puff. :icon_lol: I just threw it out there to see if it got a reaction.

Enjoy Busted-for-twentysomethings. ;)

61674[/snapback]

Oh Franz Ferdinand are uncool then? :lol:

This from the man that has seen Coldplay several times! :icon_lol:

61677[/snapback]

Not so much uncool as just plain rubbish. :icon_lol:

Have fun though - no dancing though, it's gay!

Hmmm, watch us get over run by a bunch of bruisers or endure an auditory assault akin to having the unravelled ends of metal coat hangers jabbed vigorously into your ears????

Difficult choice........ no seriously :lol:

I'm just pleased I only had to endure the former in the pub and it only cost me the price of a few pints. :lol:

Hmmm, watch us get over run by a bunch of bruisers or endure an auditory assault akin to having the unravelled ends of metal coat hangers jabbed vigorously into your ears????

Difficult choice........ no seriously  :lol:

I'm just pleased I only had to endure the former in the pub and it only cost me the price of a few pints.  :icon_lol:

61695[/snapback]

Cost the club a lot more, though. But, give him time...........

Reading some of those quotes HF brought back into the limelight makes me laugh that I get slated for my shite posts. :lol: