The Mighty Wigan

Rob W

Watched them on MOTD last night and msut say I was impressed

they're not the most skilful lot but I think they're the best TEAM I've seen in years

and the other thing is they know they're going to hit hard times once the injuries kick in and they have no depth on the bench

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched them on MOTD last night and msut say I was impressed

they're not the most skilful lot but I think they're the best TEAM I've seen in years

and the other thing is they know they're going to hit hard times once the injuries kick in and they have no depth on the bench

Wigan deserve to be where they are. t's the league, not a one off match. It'll be interesting to see how they do when they get a few injuries, as you say, but they are a good team.

Edited by Howaythelads

Watched them yesterday and there passing and movement was spot on. They seem to have the team moral of a Sunday League team and are determined to show these over paid wankers (dyer, ferdinand etc) how football should really be played and not just about how much money you can suck out of a club.

Finding it quite annoying actually, although we are starting to look like a team who's at least trying.

They're due a pasting tbh and I don't expect them to finish in the top 6.

53122[/snapback]

I'd go along with that. Lets have a look at them in Febuary when they've picked up some injuries and suspentions.

Having said that, massive respect to Paul Jewell for the job he is doing there.

They've been very impressive and deserve to be where they are. As people have said when they hit a bad run and injuries start occuring we'll see what happens, but they've set themselves up to easilly finish top 10 and challenge for a UEFA spot.

They have however unusually for a promoted small team been given alot of decisions by refs, normally the smaller clubs get shafted by refs, so that's helped them, but they are doing really well so far as a team.

Guest CrimsonFault
they've had a lot of luck this season though.

53082[/snapback]

Nowt lucky about some of the football they've played. They've been lucky with a few ref decisions though.

Guest CrimsonFault
Nowt lucky about some of the football they've played.

never said that.

53181[/snapback]

I know you didn't... I never said you did...

53122[/snapback]

I'd go along with that. Lets have a look at them in Febuary when they've picked up some injuries and suspentions.

53126[/snapback]

Amazing that many people wrote them off before the season started, seemingly on the basis that they are called Wigan, because there seemed to be no other reason.

They've been very impressive and deserve to be where they are. As people have said when they hit a bad run and injuries start occuring we'll see what happens, but they've set themselves up to easilly finish top 10 and challenge for a UEFA spot.

They have however unusually for a promoted small team been given alot of decisions by refs, normally the smaller clubs get shafted by refs, so that's helped them, but they are doing really well so far as a team.

53143[/snapback]

Like Palace last year Papa? Johnson just had to fall over within a few feet of a defender and they got a penalty!

53143[/snapback]

Like Palace last year Papa? Johnson just had to fall over within a few feet of a defender and they got a penalty!

53232[/snapback]

Thats true actually, two years running now a promoted team has had that, but overall its a drop in the ocean to the regular crap the smaller clubs new to the prem get from our shite officials.

53122[/snapback]

Sima what sort of shite is that?

They are where they are on the table because they deserve it. They play football as a team, they aren't dependent on a Rooney or Owen to win their games for them and they actually play good team football. None of this sit back and defend for their lives stuff.

The last team that was due a pasting was a certain 2004 Euro cup winning team (yes, yes I know they are shit now) and at least Wigan are going after it from the off and not trying to win it on the counter attack.

Anyone taken a look at their fixture list? I don't think their run will last much longer.

Sat 19th Nov Arsenal (H)

Sat 26th Nov Tottenham (H)

Sat 3rd Dec Liverpool (A)

Sat 10th Dec Chelsea (A)

Wed 14th Dec Man United (A)

Anyone taken a look at their fixture list? I don't think their run will last much longer.

Sat 19th Nov Arsenal (H)

Sat 26th Nov Tottenham (H)

Sat 3rd Dec Liverpool (A)

Sat 10th Dec Chelsea (A)

Wed 14th Dec Man United (A)

53263[/snapback]

...or they could blow all their European rivals out of the water and be top at Christmas. :D

53122[/snapback]

53126[/snapback]

to be fair that's what they say themselves...........

There's optimistic, and then there's certifiable. :D

53278[/snapback]

but just imagine if they did.............................................

all them meeja types having to go up to Wigan week in , week out.............. :D:D:redcard:

You get a side grafting and working as a team then there is no telling where confidence can take you. Remember the Norwich team of the early 90's who had a good couple of years? There were no stars in that side, I think Chris Sutton was the only one you could say went on to better things.

You get a side grafting and working as a team then there is no telling where confidence can take you. Remember the Norwich team of the early 90's who had a good couple of years? There were no stars in that side, I think Chris Sutton was the only one you could say went on to better things.

53997[/snapback]

First team to beat Bayern Munich at the Olympic Stadium in a European match iirc.

53997[/snapback]

First team to beat Bayern Munich at the Olympic Stadium in a European match iirc.

53999[/snapback]

That Goss lad scored a couple of screamers that season iirc including against Bayern, only to disappear up his own arse.

53997[/snapback]

53999[/snapback]

That Goss lad scored a couple of screamers that season iirc including against Bayern, only to disappear up his own arse.

54000[/snapback]

Matt or Luke?