'Star' trio set to leave

smoggeordie

The Chronicle has been informed that Bassong and Beye are close to breaking point in their quests to quit Gallowgate.

And Martins, who pledged to remain on Tyneside earlier this summer, is the subject of advanced interest from Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg, with manager Armin Veh confirming the Nigerian is in his sights and a bid could be made next week.

Martins would be happy to stay on Tyneside after recently enjoying a pay rise that took him up to £65,000 a week – an astronomical amount at second-tier level – for the final two years of his current deal.

But United would not stand in the way if the Champions League- bound Germans lodged a £6m bid.

Ideally caretaker boss Chris Hughton is praying for the closure of the transfer window so he can hold on to what he sees as a strong enough squad to win promotion at the first time of asking.

However, while Martins is open-minded about his future, Beye and Bassong, although yet to hand in transfer requests, are both completely disillusioned.

And that discontent has only intensified in the last few days.

Bassong, who is set to make his first appearance of pre-season tonight after a muscle injury, is wanted by Spurs but believes he could hold out for a bigger club playing in European competition, and there are at least two other sides monitoring his situation.

Beye is being tracked by Portsmouth and Hull City at the moment and would almost certainly quit with just one year left on his current deal.

Beye also played a central part in a heated dressing-room discussion at Leyton Orient in the aftermath of the 6-1 walloping in the capital.

It’s understood that a number of players who want to stay and fight for promotion, regardless of who is manager this season, took issue with those such as Beye, who have indicated in public they want to leave.

And while United first-teamers Steven Taylor, Kevin Nolan, Andy Carroll, Alan Smith and the host of fringe players on show all headed back to Tyneside after the game, the likes of Beye, Fabricio Coloccini and Xisco all set off for European destinations.

The Chronicle reported on Monday night how Hughton had gagged the players and how crisis talks had taken place afterwards as opposed to the usual warm down.

A United insider said: “There were some strong words exchanged afterwards at Orient, and it was made clear that even those players who are likely to leave have to give it everything each and every time they pull on a Newcastle shirt.

“This hit a raw nerve with some players who felt that their professionalism was being questioned.

“And with emotions running high, Hughton decided to prevent his players relaying this to the media.”

Tonight’s clash with Leeds will offer fans cash turnstiles and prices are as low as £10 for adults and £5 for children.

The lowest crowd at St James’s Park in the last 10 years was a friendly with Yeading when only 6,151 fans turned out, but due to the current turmoil at United it remains to be seen whether that attendance will be bettered tonight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 12m for the three of them I reckon, plus about 100kpw off the wage bill.

What fucking bollocks it is to be having a go at players like Beye for wanting to leave after what he's given and then arse-licking people like Smith for wanting to stay in the same breath. Oliver-like parochial shite.

What fucking bollocks it is to be having a go at players like Beye for wanting to leave after what he's given and then arse-licking people like Smith for wanting to stay in the same breath. Oliver-like parochial shite.

It's mindboggling.

It's mindboggling.

They'd all leave if they got a better offer imo. If that's not the case they're fools to themselves anyway.

It's mindboggling.

They'd all leave if they got a better offer imo. If that's not the case they're fools to themselves anyway.

Of course they would, it's all empty rhetoric.

“This hit a raw nerve with some players who felt that their professionalism was being questioned."

You just got fucking relegated for being shithouse lads and now you're getting thrashed 6-1 by the Orient. You should all be questioning your fucking professionalism. You should be questioning your fucking life ffs!

This.

Dont understand why people are getting riled up by the suggestions in this piece. If we're willing to dismiss Journalist crap A, why shouldn't we dismiss Journalist crap B? just because it's a new thing to be vexed by?

meh, Jimbos tele.

Dont understand why people are getting riled up by the suggestions in this piece. If we're willing to dismiss Journalist crap A, why shouldn't we dismiss Journalist crap B? just because it's a new thing to be vexed by?

meh, Jimbos tele.

I don't understand this post.

Beye is a good player but I don't see what he has "given" over and above what is expected of him. And been very well paid for it.

He hasn't. That wasn't my point though. His professionalism and performance puts him streets ahead of the people the article is lauding for staying. Although I think that was clear from my previous post in any case.

I don't see that it is lauding any players in particular. Beye has done what is expected of him as a professional player but instead of mouthing on about leaving he should hand in a transfer request. Same for Bassong and anybody else who wants out.

Its difficult to say what went on in the dressing room as none of us were there.

I don't see that it is lauding any players in particular. Beye has done what is expected of him as a professional player but instead of mouthing on about leaving he should hand in a transfer request. Same for Bassong and anybody else who wants out.

Its difficult to say what went on in the dressing room as none of us were there.

Taylor was pointing and Guti was snorting. :)

Well I felt the tone of the argument was basically making a big deal out of certain players heading bck to Tyneside while slagging others for heading off else where and wanting to leave. I think saying Beye and Bassong should hand in a transfer request would be correct were the owner not a total cunt. As it stands, they probably know clubs are in for them and are thinking 'why should I let him have any money I'd lose by handing in a transfer request?' It's a fairly minor criticism of their conduct if it's a valid criticism at all under the circumstances and it's totally unrealistic anyway. Who hands a tranfer request in these days? And if they did, no doubt you'd still be critical. I wasn't professing to know what went on in the dressing room btw although if you took that its logical conclusion no one would ever speculate on the ongoings at the club.

Edited by alex

Seems to me that you are the one being critical of some players while jumping to the defence of others.

If Beye was smart, he'd just keep his trap shut, engineer a move, take his money and leave. But that's probably a bit too much to expect from players these days.

Seems to me that you are the one being critical of some players while jumping to the defence of others.

If Beye was smart, he'd just keep his trap shut, engineer a move, take his money and leave. But that's probably a bit too much to expect from players these days.

I think it was fairly obvious to everyone I was having a go at the article actually. That did include defending the conduct of some players. I think you probably knew that but hey, you can't help what you are I suppose.

What fucking bollocks it is to be having a go at players like Beye for wanting to leave after what he's given

My thoughts exactly. he's given a lot to this club and received fuck all in return. I wish him well, and though very sad to see him leave, don't blame him if he does.

As for Bassong, it was obvious he was a class above the majority of the rest of the squad. What business does he have being in the Championship when he could be playing for a team that could (potentialy) be looking for a European place this season.