Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

god bless you bobby , from the days of ipswich watching your team , to the england top you got signed for me by the full team which mum washed !! , tobringing pride and passion to the hometown you and all us love dearly , i passed my season ticket on the day we sacked you from newcastle , and will not step foot back nto that stadium till we have people in charge who do you and your hometown justice .

R.I.P

a true legend .

dear Sir Bobby

Llambias on SSN

:lol: I don't care what he's saying, I don't want to fucking hear it. I want him and Ashley no-where near this.

Anyone got quotes from SAF and JM?

What kind of things do people do for tributes?

I'd say contributions to his charity would be a nice gesture.

Sound better than dropping a scarf off at the ground for Ashley to pick up and sell at Sports Direct.

What kind of things do people do for tributes?

I'd say contributions to his charity would be a nice gesture.

I know a load of people are going along to St James' to lay flowers and stuff, I'll be donating to his charity for sure, but I think I know what Tom means. It just doesn't feel enough for me. I'd want to do something a little more personal than just an anonymous cheque.

Some of his finest :lol:

Bobby Robson

The Geordie Gibberish Generator

Bobby’s a dab hand at the effective metaphor, the image that makes a complex concept clear as a bell.

"We put some good subs on to hang onto the fort."

"Tottenham have impressed me - they haven't thrown in the towel even though they’ve been under the gun."

"When Gazza was dribbling, he used to go through a minefield with his arm, a bit like you go through a supermarket."

It’s not widely appreciated that Bob's the Cassius Clay of modern times. Who else in the world of sport can compose an amusing poetic ditty off the cuff?

"We've voodooed the hoodoo!"

"We need to get that point as soon as possible. The tooter the sweeter."

A particular speciality of Bobby’s is the contradiction. He has that rare ability to begin a sentence with an utterance that, by the time the sentence stumbles to its conclusion, has been comprehensively gainsaid.

"Manchester United dropped points, Liverpool dropped points, Chelsea dropped points, Everton dropped points, so in a way we haven't lost anything at all really, although we dropped all three..."

"They've probably played better than they've ever done for a few weeks."

"Ray Wilkins' day will come one night."

"I'm not going to look beyond the semi-final - but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final."

"He never fails to hit the target. But that was a miss.’

"Maybe not goodbye, but farewell."

"We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

"Eighteen months ago Sweden were arguably one of the best three teams in Europe, and that would include Germany, Holland, Russia and anybody else if you like."

And Exhibit B for the prosecution – Bobby’s unique way with a tautology:

"Home advantage gives you an advantage."

"In a year's time, he's a year older."

"The margin is very marginal."

"Their football was exceptionally good - and they played some good football."

Bobby’s medical knowledge is second to none, though. Or maybe that should be zero-to-none…

"Nobby Solano discharged himself from hospital after the Tottenham game and he's driving, living the life and aware of who he is."

"We can't replace Gary Speed. Where do you get an experienced player like him with a left foot and a head?"

"Gary Speed has never played better, never looked fitter, never been older."

"They've never really allowed the Germans have a free head."

"Everton will want to sedate Wayne Rooney and keep the boy calm, and that is the right thing to do."

"If you count your chickens before they've hatched, they won't lay an egg."

"Alan Shearer has done very well for us, considering his age. We have introduced some movement into his game because he has got two good legs now. Last season he played with one leg."

"He has four lungs and two hearts – no doubt about it."

Bobby doesn’t let his professional life interfere with his domestic life. If anything, it’s the other way around:

"Newcastle have always had a poor pitch in winter. We don't have the better weather. My lawn up here isn't as good as my lawn in Ipswich."

"I've just lost my house. I don't know where I'm going to sleep tonight."

"Football's like a big market place, and people go to the market every day to buy their vegetables."

"People want success. It's like coffee, they want instant."

It’s the man’s sheer tactical nous that got him where he is today:

"No team won anything without a dodgy keeper."

"The first ninety minutes of a football match are the most important."

"Well, we got nine and you can't score more than that."

"Anything from 1-0 to 2-0 would be a nice result."

"We haven’t had a strategic free kick all night. No one’s knocked over attackers ad lib."

"I do want to play the short ball and I do want to play the long ball. I think long and short balls is what football is all about."

"He's very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of himself nobody will catch him."

But at the end of the day, what makes us love Uncle Bobby is his sheer Bobbyness. Nobody else in the world of football could produce Grade A guff of this sort:

"We are all in the same bucket."

"I've had to come out of the dressing room because I don't want to get too excited."

"We've dropped two points against Ipswich and I mean that sincerely."

"Some of the goals were good, some of the goals were sceptical."

"I'd say he's the best in Europe, if you put me on the fence."

"We're flying on Concorde. That'll shorten the distance. That's self-explanatory."

Shearer :

"He was a great man.

"Sunday was a fitting tribute to him and he will be sadly missed by everyone, not just by people in the football world but from all walks of life.

"It's a very sad day for everyone, especially his family, his close friends and anyone who's ever worked with him.

"Bobby was a people's man. He could get on with anybody no matter what age they were and that says a lot about the kind of man he was and why he was so highly thought of.

"He was held in high regard across the world not only for what he did in football but for what he did in life.

"He was a winner, a battler and a fighter and he fought until the very last.

"I've got a lot to thank him for. He saved my Newcastle career - there's no doubt about that - and I'm just pleased I had the chance to tell him that and thank him for it."

Get ready for a huge surge in the 'rename the East stand' argument.

Ive just donated to his charity and im off to the cricket wearing my Italia 90 shirt

Hate to say this but I feel Sir Bob should get a stand named after him but not before Joe Harvey has

Ive just donated to his charity and im off to the cricket wearing my Italia 90 shirt

Hate to say this but I feel Sir Bob should get a stand named after him but not before Joe Harvey has

Suggestion on NO that we should name the academy after him.

Only just heard, and I'm very saddened by the news.

Sir Bobby Robson provided the most exciting times for me as a Newcastle fan, as I was too young for Keegan.

Sir Bobby Robson RIP :lol:

I've just said that over on N-O.

I was going to dig out 2J's tribute video on YouTube. What the hell has happened to your account Jonny? :lol:

As for the 'rename the East Stand' argument, I don't think it's fitting to rename the smallest stand in the ground - rename the Gallowgate IMO, I never liked it as the 'Brown Ale Stand' anyway. Much more fitting :nufc:

I was going to dig out 2J's tribute video on YouTube. What the hell has happened to your account Jonny? :lol:

As for the 'rename the East Stand' argument, I don't think it's fitting to rename the smallest stand in the ground - rename the Gallowgate IMO, I never liked it as the 'Brown Ale Stand' anyway. Much more fitting :aye:

It got removed mate.

I will get them all re-uploaded later on today. :nufc:

As for the 'rename the East Stand' argument, I don't think it's fitting to rename the smallest stand in the ground - rename the Gallowgate IMO, I never liked it as the 'Brown Ale Stand' anyway. Much more fitting :finger:

It got removed mate.

I will get them all re-uploaded later on today. :nufc:

Fucking bureaucrats sticking their nose in!

Hope you do mate - I could do with watching them whilst raising a glass to the man who made football enjoyable. :aye: