Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

Hate to say it but it seems a bit inappropriate naming anything after him at present. I'd hate it to be tarnished in even the slightest way by association with the current regime.

Hate to say it but it seems a bit inappropriate naming anything after him at present. I'd hate it to be tarnished in even the slightest way by association with the current regime.

Aye you've got a point.

Did anyone see the BBC news earlier? Some bloke who runs an Ipswich fanzine claiming that he wasn't Newcastle's Sir Bobby as we turned him down as a kid, his heart was always with Ipswich first.

FFS - football has lost a great man and this clown is playing 'first dibs'. Idiot!

Aye you've got a point.

Did anyone see the BBC news earlier? Some bloke who runs an Ipswich fanzine claiming that he wasn't Newcastle's Sir Bobby as we turned him down as a kid, his heart was always with Ipswich first.

FFS - football has lost a great man and this clown is playing 'first dibs'. Idiot!

He actually chose Fulham over Newcastle iirc, rather than being rejected by us. In any case I think we all know and understand why Sir Bobby had a very deep affection for Ipswich due to the fantastic things he achieved there.

Steve's plan for this evening:

1 - Call in at the supermarket/offy on the way home and buy some Dog (a rarity for me)

2 - Get changed out of work clothes and into toon shirt

3 - Repeat step 2 on Mrs Paws and Master Paws

4 - After Master Paws has gone to bed (in his toon shirt) drink aforementioned Dog from a schooner (Mrs Paws has some old 1940's schooner shaped glasses given as a present from her Grandma; which I've always hated but now they have a purpose); raising a toast to Sir Bobby

5 - Repeat step 4 until Dog has gone.

Not much of a plan, but there you have it.

Aye you've got a point.

He actually chose Fulham over Newcastle iirc, rather than being rejected by us. In any case I think we all know and understand why Sir Bobby had a very deep affection for Ipswich due to the fantastic things he achieved there.

Correct. He played for Fulham and West Bromwich Albion in the Football League. He never played for Ipswich Town (He managed them, with great success, of course). I really don't know where the Ipswich fanzine guy is coming from here.

Very tempted to drive to Ipswich and put some flowers at his statue at Portman Road, not sure if I can do it as I'll be a blubbering mess as soon as I see him.

You feel like you are going to go through a brick wall for him. You want to do things beyond the normal for Bobby Robson.

Ex-England and Ipswich captain Terry Butcher (Living the Game)

Aye you've got a point.

Aye I know he chose Fulham. This clown was basically just giving it the "dunno why Newcastle is getting all the coverage, blah blah blah".

It's all immaterial surely? Football has lost a great man, not just Ipswich, Newcastle, etc. First memories I have of Sir Bobby was as England manager - best leader of our national team I've ever known and, had we not won the WC in '66, he'd be way out in the lead as the best we've ever had. And what's more he was a true gentleman with it.

Very tempted to drive to Ipswich and put some flowers at his statue at Portman Road, not sure if I can do it as I'll be a blubbering mess as soon as I see him.

It's got to be done Jimbo :lol:

It's got to be done Jimbo :lol:

+1 man, Im feeling ya

WTF is Dog?

Brown Ale.

and Stevie is going to straight up murder you

:nufc:

Why DOG?

''I'm taking the dog for a walk''

Says the man to the wife as he goes for a bottle of Brown ale. :lol:

WTF is Dog?

Brown Ale.

He can kiss my arse. I hate this OOT shit. I was born in Newcastle, I was raised in Newcastle and most of my family still lives in Newcastle and the surrounding areas.

It's not like I can just jump on the Metro and go the SJP can I?

Anyway, this is not the thread for this.

WTF is Dog?

Brown Ale.

:lol:

Why DOG?

From Wiki:

In Newcastle, the beer is often called 'Dog' (or simply 'Broon'). The 'Dog' name comes from the euphemism "I'm going to walk the dog" - meaning "I'm going to the pub" - and was further popularised by a 1980s advertising campaign.

Not sure Bobby was fond of Dog or alcohol in general tbh.