Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

Just popped in to say, from all at West Brom, that we share your sadness at the passing of Sir Bobby.

Sir Bobby was a true gentleman, a great manager and, for us, one of the finest inside forwards ever to grace the Hawthorns. It has been a privilege to be associated with this true giant of the footballing world.

It is, we think, somehow fitting that the first televised game of the new season will between our two clubs and if any of you are travelling down to the Hawthorns next week then we'd like to extend an invitation to you to join us in paying tribute to Sir Bobby and giving him the send off he so richly deserves.

Edited by VisitingBaggie

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

-Alex Ferguson

hear hear.

I've welled up reading that

god I'm a wreck today

Lovely tribute from Sir Alex.

Brings a smile to your face hearing some of the stories ex players have. Eric Gates "He spent ten years calling me Eric Sykes". :lol:

Reporter to Newcastle’s Shola Ameobi: ‘Do you have a nickname?’

Ameobi: ‘No, not really’

Reporter: ‘What do the lads call you?’

Ameobi: ‘Shola’

Reporter: ‘So what does Bobby Robson call you?’

Ameobi: ‘Carl Cort.’

One of those days that I thought would never come.

Bobby made supporting Newcastle enjoyable again. He brought a smile to everyones face with his passion and drive and the flowing football that he helped to produce.

I saw on the BBC News the snippet of an interview with him years ago, where he just got overwhelmed with excitement when he spoke of how lucky he felt to be living the dream of being in football. That was Bobby Robson.

A hero.

A true legend.

R.I.P. Sir Bobby

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

-Alex Ferguson

hear hear.

I've welled up reading that

god I'm a wreck today

Not far behind you mate.

A banner at West Brom would be appropriate I reckon. Any chance the NUSC could sort that out?

What a pity that only a couple of our lot could be arsed to turn up to his match.

Eh?

Who's our lot? there were 30,000 went.

The players, only two turned up didn't they?

What a pity that only a couple of our lot could be arsed to turn up to his match.

Eh?

ah, right.

Goes to show what I think of the current crop when you say 'our lot' and it doesn't occur to me what you could possibly mean.

I was going to dig out 2J's tribute video on YouTube. What the hell has happened to your account Jonny? :lol:

As for the 'rename the East Stand' argument, I don't think it's fitting to rename the smallest stand in the ground - rename the Gallowgate IMO, I never liked it as the 'Brown Ale Stand' anyway. Much more fitting :nufc:

Welling the fuck up.

Eh?

ah, right.

Goes to show what I think of the current crop when you say 'our lot' and it doesn't occur to me what you could possibly mean.

Really regret not going now.

A mate at work says he tried to buy tickets for it but the box office claimed they were sold out, despite the attendance being 20,000 shy? Is this true, were the upper tiers shut? Ridiculous turning people away when there were empty seats like.

Great manager, excelled in both club and international football. However, above anything else, I'll remember him as being quite simply a wonderful human being.

The world has lost a legend. RIP Sir Bobby.

beautifully put.

Worth remembering he was a very fine player as well by all accounts. 20 England caps in an era when less games were played (especially meaningless friendlies) and before the advent of substitutes.

Actually, I owe Stevie an apology Just deleteing the emails I get from this thread and I've re read the earlier comment. It's obvious The Fish mean that Stevie was going to murder Wykikitoon for not knowing what Dog was. It was nowt to do with me.

The OOT thing is just a sore point for me and I guess I'm a bit 'sensitive' today :lol:

The Charity Cup idea is a brilliant one. Don't know how feasible it would be as it would take a big chunk out of pre-season; especially if we involved all of Sir Bobby's clubs. Would be fantastic though.

A mate at work says he tried to buy tickets for it but the box office claimed they were sold out, despite the attendance being 20,000 shy? Is this true, were the upper tiers shut? Ridiculous turning people away when there were empty seats like.

The upper tiers were shut but I got the impression there were a reasonable number of empty seats dotted about in the lower levels. Might just be people who bought and didn't show up though.

I was in the posh seats on Sunday because the council had some visitors over from Gelsenkirchen (one of our many twin towns) and they needed someone to interpret for them as and when. Anyway, Sir Bobby wasn't far from us during the match, and even in his frail state he spent more time chatting away to people as they came up to him than he did actually watching the game. People kept bringing their kids up to him and he'd spend a few moments ruffling their hair and having a natter and a play around with them. The Germans were amazed, they knew he was a popular figure (and had some lovely words to say about him themselves) but I don't think they realised just quite how much reverence there was for him.

Harper was the only current player I spotted around the place all day, for what it's worth - he had his lad with him.