Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

Bobby Robson cup should be an annual thing. All proceeds to his charity imo.

good one WBA Fulham Ipswich and us.

I'd rather it was between Barca, Sporting, PSV and us, opposed to the teams we will play sometime in the next two seasons (and maybe last.)

Still in shock, condolences to his family.

Bobby Robson cup should be an annual thing. All proceeds to his charity imo.

good one WBA Fulham Ipswich and us.

I'd rather it was between Barca, Sporting, PSV and us, opposed to the teams we will play sometime in the next two seasons (and maybe last.)

Still in shock, condolences to his family.

If it's an annual thing, there's no reason it can't rotate between four of the teams he was involved with each year. Keeps it fresh too.

I had prepared myself for his passing, especially after seeing him at the game on Sunday, but am still struggling to keep my emotions in check. His knowledge and love of the game were second to none, and the fact that Alex Ferguson didn't even attempt to belittle or play mind games with him shows how much he valued him above any other manager at the time. You know what I really loved about Bobby though? His passion. I cold never help but believe in everything that came out of his mouth, that he meant it, and that he cared about how this club and team did more than any of us did. My mam had the pleasure of sitting nect to him and chatting to him on a flight from Heathrow to Newcastle a few years back, and after telling him all about how big fans me and my dad were, he offered to ring us and speak to us. I missed that call as I was at work and had my mobile off, and was gutted. But at the same time I wasn't, as he'd actually wanted to speak to me. I wasn't worthy.

Ledge.

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,

blue skies from pain.

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?

A smile from a veil?

Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees?

Hot air for a cool breeze?

Cold comfort for change?

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have you found? The same old fears.

Wish you were here.

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here

:lol:

I realise many of you are stuck at work until whenever you can get away, but I'm raising a glass now and to hell with the consequences, and I'm sure you'll do the same later on. Bobby himself was such a selfless man that he wouldn't have wanted people to dwell on the sad side of his passing, so let's celebrate a life incredibly well lived and give him a hell of a send-off. :lol:

I realise many of you are stuck at work until whenever you can get away, but I'm raising a glass now and to hell with the consequences, and I'm sure you'll do the same later on. Bobby himself was such a selfless man that he wouldn't have wanted people to dwell on the sad side of his passing, so let's celebrate a life incredibly well lived and give him a hell of a send-off. :lol:

Hell yeah! You all know my plan :nufc:

Will be missed. RIP Sir Bobby. :nufc:

Will share a funny story though.

In the summer of 2004 I was an extra in this daft News of the World advert at the Metro Arena. The first part was us all dressed in different football shirts singing this stupid song with the football pullout. Then second part was Sir Bobby Robson representing an angel and doing his bit on the stage. He appears not long before we're about to finish our bit and he's sitting across from us watching. When we finished we all had to walk past him to go on the stage and everyone is giving him the hellos as they walk past.

Now Bobby has the all white emsemble. White shirt. White tie. White jacket. White trousers. White shoes.

One kid who couldn't have been older than 14 walks past him and says "Howay Bobby, it's News of the World, not fucking Persil!" Bobby pissed himself laughing. :lol:

I talked football for him for a few minutes that day and a nicer and more enthusiastic man I have never met. Spoke about football with the enthusiasm you don't expect from a 70 year old.

An absolute legend who will be sorely sorely missed.

One kid who couldn't have been older than 14 walks past him and says "Howay Bobby, it's News of the World, not fucking Persil!" Bobby pissed himself laughing. :lol:

Lovely. :nufc:

The club opened the Leazes End to supporters who left flowers, balloons, shirts, scarves and banners at the Sir John Hall statue. The word ``legend“ featured in most of the tributes.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/breaking-n...72703-24287174/

The WHAT?

:lol:

Is it him running towards the Tyne Bridge complete with bag that has the word 'Swag' written on slung over his shoulder?

The death of Sir Bobby Robson was announced on Friday morning. He was 76.

Statement released on behalf of the Robson family:

"It is with great sadness that it has been announced today that Sir Bobby Robson has lost his long and courageous battle with cancer.

"He died very peacefully this morning at his home in County Durham with his wife and family beside him.

"Sir Bobby's funeral will be private and for family members only. A thanksgiving service in celebration of Sir Bobby's life will be held at a later date for his many friends and colleagues.

"Lady Robson and the family would very much appreciate it if their privacy could be respected at this difficult time."

Newcastle United have announced the following:

Anyone wishing to lay tributes to Sir Bobby may gain access to St James Park today (Friday) until 5pm and Saturday/Sunday 9am - 5pm via the Tunnel access at the North West Corner of the Stadium.

Current Magpies players and staff then laid a wreath on the SJP centre spot shortly after 3pm, lining up to conduct a minute's silence in commemoration of the former boss.

They then left the field to applause from supporters who had gathered in the lower sections of the Leazes End stand to lay flowers, flags, scarves and other items.

Tributes were paid across the footballing world from former managerial rivals such as Sir Alex Ferguson, ex colleagues including Jose Mourinho and other national team bosses, notably Fabio Capello.

Robson's former clubs including PSV and Barcelona have also released statements passing on their condolences.

Staff and players at the NUFC training ground observed a minute's silence when news of his passing was confirmed.

And out in China, the Asia Trophy game between West Ham and Beijing Guoan was preceded by a minute's silence, while all 22 players wore black armbands.

That tribute was especially poignant for one of the West Ham XI, Kieron Dyer - who played under SBR at SJP.

Bobby's name will live on in the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, which was established to aid the detection and treatment of cancer here in the North East. For further details, please click here

Speaking on behalf of the Foundation, Professor Ruth Plummer said:

"Sir Bobby was an extremely warm, generous and special man.

"It took great personal effort for him to set up The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and it was typical of the Bobby we came to know that he thought of helping others even when fighting his own battle with cancer.

"He will be greatly missed by all the staff at the Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre and our thoughts and sympathies are with his family at this very difficult time."

Bobby's well-remembered appearance at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year ceremony is online here

Doubtless Newcastle's opening Championship fixture will become the focus for many tributes, when United travel to the Hawthorns to face West Bromwich Albion - the club Bobby played for between 1956 and 1962.

Alan Shearer, Friday July 31st: "He was a great man, a winner and a battler and he saved my Newcastle career."

Quality tribute from Sir Alex.

Where's that Gem?

MANCHESTER UNITED MANAGER SIR ALEX FERGUSON

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

Quality tribute from Sir Alex.

Where's that Gem?

MANCHESTER UNITED MANAGER SIR ALEX FERGUSON

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

Awesome :lol:

So gutted :nufc: