Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

Barca did, but only Beckham wore one for galaxy. Bit ignorant if you ask me....

Yanks for you.

What's sad is it's probably on account of Beckham that they didn't.

Why would they though? Newcastle players wouldn't wear an armband if a foreign football legend died, would they?

Not many like Bobby though are there?

Pele or Maradonna, SAF, all are known throughout the world.

Yanks for you.

Why would they though? Newcastle players wouldn't wear an armband if a foreign football legend died, would they?

I'm not so sure.

I certainly wouldnt want spurs wearing black armbands if maradonna carked it :jesuswept:

I'm more upset by the death of Robson than any other celebrity, despite the fact he had a great life (the only other celebrity I was remotely upset about was Freddy Mercury when he died). I'm not going over the top about it, but the disastrous state the club is in makes things much worse imo. I can't take comfort out of anything.

Despite what I said above I would say his is the most saddening "famous" death I can remember - though the death of Stuart Adamson out of Big Country was probably as bad for me.

Yanks for you.

Most of them probably have no idea who he was, I can understand English clubs and his former clubs wearing the armbands but expecting them in the MLS is a bit much.

I don't mean to be harsh but if somebody in the football world hasn't heard of or doesn't respect Sir Bobby Robson then it's their great loss.

Yanks for you.

Sadly I think you underestimate the worldwide footballing opinion of Sir Bobby Robson. Not often you'd expect Platini to make comment but he did.

I don't mean to be harsh but if somebody in the football world hasn't heard of or doesn't respect Sir Bobby Robson then it's their great loss.

There's no doubting that he was a fantastic man but I don't think he can be considered to have been in the same class of manager as the likes of Clough, Fergie, Shankly etc.

Yanks for you.

I'm not so sure.

I certainly wouldnt want spurs wearing black armbands if maradonna carked it :lol:

Despite the fact he played for your boys? :jesuswept:

There's no doubting that he was a fantastic man but I don't think he can be considered to have been in the same class of manager as the likes of Clough, Fergie, Shankly etc.

Oh I think he was right up there with them. Busby, Paisley & Nicholson are in that bracket too and very few besides them.

Yes but I doub't Clough and Ferguson are in the same class of person.

Oh I think he was right up there with them. Busby, Paisley & Nicholson are in that bracket too and very few besides them.

Not wanting to sound harsh but he never won a major European league title, nor did he ever win a European Cup and if we're being totally honest, he only ever managed one top class team and that was only for one season (not necessarily his fault).

Where did I say that he didn't? I'm talking about achievements that would be recognised on a worldwide scale. Do you think that there are many foreigners that associate him with what he did with Ipswich?

The football world stopped when he died.

Even stuff like ''Benfica are in mourning'' on their website and Alex Ferguson talking to the BBC.

He was a great manager and a great man. I think Ferguson's description of Sir Bobby as a ''colossal human being'' is applicable.

How many people are the world know who Nottingham Forest are by the way?

The football world stopped when he died.

Even stuff like ''Benfica are in mourning'' on their website and Alex Ferguson talking to the BBC.

He was a great manager and a great man. I think Ferguson's description of Sir Bobby as a ''colossal human being'' is applicable.

How many people are the world know who Nottingham Forest are by the way?

I don't see what Forest have to do with Americans not wearing black armbands.

I also don't see how Fergie's comments are relevant, no one is denying that SBR was a one-off. I'm not trying to knock him or say that he wasn't a very good manager, it's just that objectively speaking his achievements don't match those of the very best.

Edit: It's maybe not the time or thread to be debating this so I'll leave it here.

Edited by ewerk

Not wanting to sound harsh but he never won a major European league title, nor did he ever win a European Cup and if we're being totally honest, he only ever managed one top class team and that was only for one season (not necessarily his fault).

Clough never managed a top class team, he created them. Admittedly he went further with Forest than Robson did at Ipswich but just because he didn't reach the top echelons, don't lose sight of what he achieved:

Turned Ipswich from an ailing club into one which finished third 3 times, league runners up twice, FA Cup Winners and UEFA Cup (when it was a fucking hard competition to win) winners and qualified for Europe for 9 consecutive seasons. Only Liverpool could equal that and in fact if it hadn't been for Liverpool and Forest, Ipswich would have walked the league for quite some years.

England had failed to qualify for 2 successful World Cups and then Greenwood but the skin of his teeth took us to Spain in '82. SBR took over soon afterwards and turned us back into a pretty formidable outfit. Sure France '84 and Germany '88 were big disappointments, but the two World Cups were awesome, particularly Italia '90

Between 1991 and 1996, he won 4 league titles. Not major European leagues? Well it wasn't Spain, Italy, France, Germany or England but back in those days both the Dutch and Portuguese leagues were no walk over. Then to Barca (who at the time were considered shite, he was allegedly only taken on as a stop-gap until they could get Van Gaal on board. They didn't expect Bobby to do a thing, he delivered them 3 trophies and almost got them the league too.

And with us, well what can we say? Took over when were in a fucking mess at the bottom of the league and within 4 years he had us finishing 3rd and qualifying for the Champions League. It was remarkable.

Just because he never delivered the Champions League, nor the league title in one of the top 5 European countries, doesn't lessen his class. He was amongst the best - for me pushing beyond some of the others on account of how he never lost his gentlemanly conduct.

Yanks for you.

I'm not so sure.

I certainly wouldnt want spurs wearing black armbands if maradonna carked it :lol:

Despite the fact he played for your boys? :jesuswept:

That was great but I will never get past what he did during that world cup. Greatest footballer I have ever seen live, cunt of a man.

Steve Bruce

I must pay a special tribute to Sir Bobby Robson. He became a big, big friend of mine over the last few years in particular.

The reaction of the Sunderland fans today was how things should be.

They know he's from the north east - he's one of us and it's a sad loss to football.

His children have lost a terrific father and his wife Elsie has lost a good man and her husband.

Life always seemed to be better when Bobby was around. There was always a twinkle, always a sparkle and he made you feel life was worth living.

For that, he will be remembered as a special person.

Sunderland fans singing ''There's only one Bobby Robson'' vs Celtic.

''Just Call Me Bobby'' on BBC iPlayer

I have this on DVD but I was told there was a Sir Bobby Tribute program on last night but I missed it as I was in Liverpool.

Just watched a bit of it there and couldn't help but have a bit of a cry. It's the first time I have really seen the man in motion since he passed. Outside of an interview anyway.

I agree Craig but also I can't help feeling the death of Robson is almost symbolic of the death of our club. I absolutely hate the fact that Robson saw the depths our club has been reduced to before he died. I always hoped he could see us win something, although I was never naive enough to believe that would happen.

I'm more upset by the death of Robson than any other celebrity, despite the fact he had a great life (the only other celebrity I was remotely upset about was Freddy Mercury when he died). I'm not going over the top about it, but the disastrous state the club is in makes things much worse imo. I can't take comfort out of anything.

mournclub.jpg

I was all packed up moving house on Friday message when i got the text message of a few people. Put Radio Newcastle on and they confirmed it.

Looking around the ground at the Charity match, you could quite a few people choked up when they brought him on to the pitch, myself included.

Sir Bobby gave me some of the best days out if my life. I've been lucky enough to meet Sir Bobby and as everyone else has said, he is a true gent all has the time in the world for you, such passion about the game that is football.

Only a few weeks back, I'd arranged to get some sponsorship forms from his chairty to (me and our lass are climbing a mountain in slovenia next month), the woman said Bobby takes a personal interest events people do to raise money and she could sqaure it for me to meet him, i agreed but i dont know if i could have held it together seeing him in person like that.

Anyway enough rambling.

RIP Bobby