Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

i have been in a meeting all day, heard the news at 11ish god know how i managed to get through the meeting!!! i too had lots of things in my eyes on the drive home,

i was lucky enough to meet the man a few years ago, what a humble man and a true gent.

RIP SIR BOBBY ROBSON A LEGEND AND A TRUE GENT XX

there will be a very drunken 51 year old man nearly (if not) in tears, singing one Bobby Robson.

and a drunk 33 year old bawling his eyes out watching youtube with a drink or two later

:lol:

Started bawling at work when I heard the news this morning. All the people I work with are sunderland fans and they were gutted too, which just goes to show how important he was to the world of football.

I'll be down at St James' tomorrow, and no doubt I'll be a blubbering wreck again. RIP Sir Bobby.

Brilliant to see him on the telly holding court in interviews and rabbiting on like he used to. Forgot how entertaining he was in that sort of situation. You could listen to his patter all day.

Just saw Keiron Dyer on SSN, he looked distraught.

I remember Dyer saying a while back that his biggest regret in life was how he treated Bobby when he through a strop and refused to play in a different position. He seemed genuinely remoreseful about the whole thing. Even prima-donna nitwits like Dyer loved Bobby!

RIP Bobby you absolute legend

Edited by TicTacWoe

When I saw the photos of him on Sunday, and having watched my wife slowly die of cancer last August, I knew Bobby was not going to be with us much longer but in less than a week came with a great sadness.

He was undoubtably a big asset to football in general and especially to Newcastle and England and I had the good fortune and honour to meet him, hold a short conversation with him, and shake his hand. He was a gentleman, a man among men, and my heart goes out to his family.

When I saw the photos of him on Sunday, and having watched my wife slowly die of cancer last August, I knew Bobby was not going to be with us much longer but in less than a week came with a great sadness.

He was undoubtably a big asset to football in general and especially to Newcastle and England and I had the good fortune and honour to meet him, hold a short conversation with him, and shake his hand. He was a gentleman, a man among men, and my heart goes out to his family.

Really sorry to hear about your wife man.

Awesome vids 2J - I'm a wreck after watching them but it's worth it to pay tribute to the great man.

As for the Brown Ale, well I bought 4 earlier and have sunk 2 already. The other two will go this evening - a toast to such a great man, not just from a footballing perspective but more than that - he was an inspiration to us all. How many former football mangers would lead all the news stories across the world?

RIP you absolute legend. I echo Ritchie's comments, I've lost one of my true heroes in life today and there aren't many of them. :lol:

RIP Sir Bobby

Your name will always live on as one of the true legends of the game. There have been some truly great football managers in my lifetime, Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly, Jock Stein, Brian Clough, Bob Paisley , Sir Alex Ferguson and you were up there with the best of them. Some may argue there are better football managers in that list and if success is measured purely in trophies, then maybe there are but one thing is certain, there isn't a better person.

In a game dominated by greed, deception, and self-importance you stood out like a beacon with humilty, passion and caring. So many years in the game yet never a bad word said against anybody nor a bad word from others about you. That says it all really, there never has been (and I doubt there ever will be) a more perfect example of how to conduct yourself through triumph and adversity. You were the pefect ambassador and role model for all aspiring managers.

Thanks for the memories.

RIP Sir Bobby

Your name will always live on as one of the true legends of the game. There have been some truly great football managers in my lifetime, Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly, Jock Stein, Brian Clough, Bob Paisley , Sir Alex Ferguson and you were up there with the best of them. Some may argue there are better football managers in that list and if success is measured purely in trophies, then maybe there are but one thing is certain, there isn't a better person.

In a game dominated by greed, deception, and self-importance you stood out like a beacon with humilty, passion and caring. So many years in the game yet never a bad word said against anybody nor a bad word from others about you. That says it all really, there never has been (and I doubt there ever will be) a more perfect example of how to conduct yourself through triumph and adversity. You were the pefect ambassador and role model for all aspiring managers.

Thanks for the memories.

fantastic post

Some lines from Sir Bob's autobiogrphy "Farewell but Not Goodbye"

On some of the players he's managed ( and discovered by himself in some cases):

Strikers-boy I've seen some good ones. Think of Shearer at his best,Romario at his best, Ronaldo at his best,van Nistlerooy,Gary Lineker,Paul Mariner at Ipswich-just don't ask me to pick my all time number one.

To this list ,as he says himself in the book you can add the early development of Luis Figo at Sporting Lisbon and his immense regard for his skipper at Barcelaona,their present coach Josep Guardiola.Whilst Genaral Manager at Barcelona he told his replacement as coach Louis van Gaal to forget about signing Steve Macmanaman as Sir Bob felt he didn't scored enough goals and he should instead sign Rivaldo from Olimpiacos. He also gave the likes of Peter Beardsley,Stuart Pearce,Paul Gascoigne,Chris Waddle and John Barnes their first England caps.

It's also interesting to note that he felt that Kevin Beattie at Ipswich Town was the finest English player he'd seen since the great Duncan Edwards of "Busby Babes" fame...and Sir Bob would know, having played in the same England team as Edwards. It is truly incredible the length of time Sir Bob's career in Football spanned, about a third of the period of time that professional football has existed in this country.

On his appointment as Newcastle United manager in 1999:

I had always been a Newcastle supporter.It was my club.My dad,my brother Ron and I were first in the queue at the ground for home games. When, as Newcastle manager,I looked across the banks of faces at St James' Park, I saw my dad.Every fan out there was my dad.All the time I'd been abroad-throughout all my time in football, in fact-there was only one result I looked for"How have Newcastle got on?" I would ask at teatime on every Saturday of my Life"

In his first match in charge at St James' Park we played Sheffield Wednesday:

Let me start by saying that Newcastle scored their biggest win since Len Shackleton hit six on his debut in a 13-0 win over Newport County back in 1946.I saw that game-it seems incerdible, but I did.I was there with my father. I would have been thirteen years of age. Now here I was presiding over an 8-0 win,in which Alan Shearer, the Jackie Milburn or Hughie Gallacher of his generation, scored five"

In the final lines of the book,Sir Bob describes his being granted the Freedom of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne on the 2nd of March 2002, an honour he says that makes him feel even prouder than his well deserved knighthood the same year:

In the days that followed,a number of councillors wrote to me to say they had never seen so much emotion in a ceremony of that kind.Perhaps it was because I talked about my father,and how he went down the pit white and came up black in an area where those two colours symbolise a city's love of football, a love that burns within me and will never fade

RIP Sir Bob.

:lol:

Nothing really to add to what's already been said. The way he conducted himself both in and out of football is an example to us all, and the WORLD is so much the poorer without him.

RIP Bobby.

I'm just so pleased he made it to his big night last Sunday and so pleased I was there. It felt, and in hindsight more than ever, like a wrong being put right. Quite possibly the best manager we've ever had and definitely the best ambassador we've ever had was shown the door in a shabby way. He finally left SJP as he should being cheered to the rafters. Top, top bloke. RIP.

A drink in honour of a great man.

dsc00509f.jpg

Does anyone know if the BBC documentary they did a few years ago with Lineker (was it called 'Just call me Bobby'?) is going to be broadcast?

A drink in honour of a great man.

dsc00509f.jpg

Does anyone know if the BBC documentary they did a few years ago with Lineker (was it called 'Just call me Bobby'?) is going to be broadcast?

I hope so, it would be a better tribute than any of the morbid depressing shite they are no doubt dreaming up

Met him at my old work once, about ten years ago, absolute class he was, it wasn't long after he'd took charge of us and you couldn't help but realise why the players were suddenly playing so much better, no wonder, who couldn't have been enthused by his arrival at the club?

He came to my work to officially open a new bottling plant of a company with strong links to NUFC and a major part of our city (S&N). He was meant to smash a huge bottle of Broon off a wall, have a couple of photo's then do a shoot, certainly that was what one of the companies big-wigs was trying to get him to do, but Bob was having none of it, he met us, had a bit of craic, asked us for a tour, and waited around for the next shift to come in so he could meet them, too!

Another time I was killing time with my wife and eldest daughter at SJP's cafe whilst we waiting for a hospital appointment and Bobby came in about ten-ish telling his trailing secretary what he wanted done asking someone to get in touch with West Brom about some reunion they must have been having and he was gone in a blur. The wife said he never stops does he? I then told her that he must have got back home in the early hours of that morning as we had played FC Basel in Switzerland the previous night and he was in work just a few hours later when we saw him!

RIP Bobby