Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

A drink in honour of a great man.

dsc00509f.jpg

Does anyone know if the BBC documentary they did a few years ago with Lineker (was it called 'Just call me Bobby'?) is going to be broadcast?

They're going to show it when you polish that sideboard.

Quote of the day taken from someone elses facebook if its not already been posted on here.

"Sir Bobby didn't lose his battle to cancer today, he beat it 4-1. RIP."

I love it

it took a hell of a lot to kill Sir Bobby he never gave up

If anyone has not read his book I'd recommend it. The guy was amazing. Great football mind and just a shame he has passed away - but as in life he gave it a good fight!

I still can't believe he was "sacked" by the club - just shows you how the problems at the club have always existed, he never deserved that in my opinion. Having lived in Ipswich I know how much he was loved down there.

Thoughts go out to his family and I hope he can rest in peace.

God Bless Sir Bobby.

I still can't believe he was "sacked" by the club

To this day it amazes me that it happened. And I've read Shepherd recently stating that it was never his idea, it was the boards and it was simply his task to 'deliver the bad news'.

Fuck off Fred, you as chairman had the last say.

dsc00509f.jpg

Does anyone know if the BBC documentary they did a few years ago with Lineker (was it called 'Just call me Bobby'?) is going to be broadcast?

:lol:

Just about to have a bottle or 5 with my brother.

Bobby was an ambassador for our club, for all of us, our region, our values, our spirit.

Edited by trophyshy

dsc00509f.jpg

Looks fucking awful doesn't it? I can assure you it's as clean as a whistle - a very old table which the surface is scratched to hell. It does for keeping a beer on it though :lol:

Spurs fan and ex board member here.

Just want to say that there are days that affect all football fans that make us rise above petty rivalries. Today is one of them.

There isn't a football fan out there today that isn't mourning one of football's great men, not one who deep down didn't feel affection for a man who didn't have a bad bone in his body.

His enthusiasm for for the game was only ever matched by football fan’s enthusiasm for him.

What really impresses me was his total inability to feel fear. Every challenge was met by determination and every set back by a willingness to learn from his mistakes. He strolled round Europe as if it was his backyard picking up trophies, a change of lifestyle was not even a consideration for him.

This was demonstrated in his later struggles. No matter what he was going through, he conducted himself with dignity and kindness and humour.

Bobby didn’t get defeated by cancer, he won, life just called full time on the game.

RIP Sir Bobby.

“Maybe not goodbye, but farewell.”

I heard a couple of hours after others did, and to receive the text message just made my heart sink. I knew he was ill and frail as I had seen the pictures that we all saw, but the news of his passing has still rocked me. I have said to others for years that this day will give me great sadness. I am not afraid to say that as a grown man I have shed a tear for him tonight, he was, is and will always be an inspiration to me, a true gentleman and a role model for everyone in the way they live their life regardless of whether they like football or not. A truly great man, he was graceful, noble and showed enthusiasm and spirit for everything which he did. I was honoured to meet him. His passing is all the more upsetting to think that he has seen his beloved club torn apart, and the world of football in general become a greedy selfish environment.

My thoughts go out to his family and those who were close to him. RIP Mr Robson, for you were my hero.

Edited by robchester

Spurs fan and ex board member here.

Just want to say that there are days that affect all football fans that make us rise above petty rivalries. Today is one of them.

There isn't a football fan out there today that isn't mourning one of football's great men, not one who deep down didn't feel affection for a man who didn't have a bad bone in his body.

His enthusiasm for for the game was only ever matched by football fan’s enthusiasm for him.

What really impresses me was his total inability to feel fear. Every challenge was met by determination and every set back by a willingness to learn from his mistakes. He strolled round Europe as if it was his backyard picking up trophies, a change of lifestyle was not even a consideration for him.

This was demonstrated in his later struggles. No matter what he was going through, he conducted himself with dignity and kindness and humour.

Bobby didn’t get defeated by cancer, he won, life just called full time on the game.

RIP Sir Bobby.

“Maybe not goodbye, but farewell.”

Well put.

Got to stop reading those tributes on the BBC page, Mourinho's just set me off again.

Not been able to read any of those for hours now, far too upsetting.

Great to see fans of other clubs paying tribute, whether its on here, RTG or other forums, it all means so much.

Got to stop reading those tributes on the BBC page, Mourinho's just set me off again.

Not been able to read any of those for hours now, far too upsetting.

Great to see fans of other clubs paying tribute, whether its on here, RTG or other forums, it all means so much.

I just can't think of another person, past or present that carried such universal affection regardless of club or country as Sir Bobby.

Reading them tributes to him you realise what a true gentleman the guy was. I think if everyone in the world took a leaf out of Sir Bobby's book then it would be a much finer place. Hearing Sir Alex talk about how Sir Bobby would ring him before big games and wish him luck just really gives you the idea of how much he would think about others which was of course exemplified by his great charity work. He is a true inspiration, and if I make one promise to myself today then it really will be to take a leaf out of Sir Bobby's book. I just don't think I can stress how much of an inspiration the guy is, I really can't.

Reading them tributes to him you realise what a true gentleman the guy was. I think if everyone in the world took a leaf out of Sir Bobby's book then it would be a much finer place. Hearing Sir Alex talk about how Sir Bobby would ring him before big games and wish him luck just really gives you the idea of how much he would think about others which was of course exemplified by his great charity work. He is a true inspiration, and if I make one promise to myself today then it really will be to take a leaf out of Sir Bobby's book. I just don't think I can stress how much of an inspiration the guy is, I really can't.

He was the perfect role model in any walk of life, not just football.

Did anyone feel a bit cold when Llambias was 'interviewed' on SSN?

I actually shouted at the telly for him to just 'fuck off'. Totally inappropriate somehow, seeing him comment on a NUFC/England legend.

Did anyone feel a bit cold when Llambias was 'interviewed' on SSN?

I actually shouted at the telly for him to just 'fuck off'. Totally inappropriate somehow, seeing him comment on a NUFC/England legend.

missed it, he has a bloody cheek!